gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680852 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 04:17:06 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian's shouty vocals  (Read 21439 times)
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« on: September 16, 2010, 11:18:01 AM »

When did this start?

People have always said his vocals on GIOMH are shouty, especially his new vocals on Soul Searchin'.
But I've also read where people think Orange Crate Art's vocals have his shouting characteristics.

I myself would like to note Water Builds Up and Drip Drop as shouty vocals in my book; but I find nothing wrong with them.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 11:22:43 AM »

The shouty voice made it's first tentative appearances back on BB85 and has been in vogue ever since.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 11:28:33 AM »

The shouty voice made it's first tentative appearances back on BB85 and has been in vogue ever since.

good call...Male Ego comes to mind

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 12:02:40 PM »

He sounds quite shouty on the Knebworth DVD.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 12:16:29 PM »

When did this start?

People have always said his vocals on GIOMH are shouty, especially his new vocals on Soul Searchin'.
But I've also read where people think Orange Crate Art's vocals have his shouting characteristics.

I myself would like to note Water Builds Up and Drip Drop as shouty vocals in my book; but I find nothing wrong with them.

First shouty vocal I know of is "Lucy Jones", 11/12/74. It got a whole lot worse, but that's the earliest one I've heard.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 12:24:11 PM »

I REALLY gotta hear that one LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 12:47:55 PM »

I wish every Beach Boys song had a shouty-vocal counterpart!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 01:06:08 PM »

It ain't that good. There's a reason why some unreleased stuff is unreleased.  Smiley

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2010, 01:09:30 PM »

It ain't that good. There's a reason why some unreleased stuff is unreleased.  Smiley

Sure, sure, But you've heard it. I think it should all be available for everyone to listen and decide for themselves.

Please, make it so.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2010, 02:00:50 PM »

I wish every Beach Boys song had a shouty-vocal counterpart!

I think every Beach Boys song should alternate verses between non shouty and shouty!!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2010, 02:04:37 PM »

My definition of 'shouty' must be different to everyone else. I hear it in the bulk of 'Wouldn't It Be Nice' from 66. Huh
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2010, 02:27:05 PM »

Yea but that's good shouty...   Wink

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2010, 02:40:53 PM »

Yeah...But strip away the instruments and vocals surrounding it and he really is goin to town!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2010, 02:51:28 PM »

My definition of 'shouty' must be different to everyone else. I hear it in the bulk of 'Wouldn't It Be Nice' from 66. Huh

I can see it being shouty in some of the alternate versions...

Eh, I'd base my definition of BW's shoutiness off of his singing on the album 'Orange Crate Art'. Parts of 'Sail Away' and 'Wings of a Dove' are somewhat shouty.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2010, 03:04:14 PM »

I can see it being shouty in some of the alternate versions...

Eh, I'd base my definition of BW's shoutiness off of his singing on the album 'Orange Crate Art'. Parts of 'Sail Away' and 'Wings of a Dove' are somewhat shouty.

'shouty' = "Male Ego"

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2010, 03:08:51 PM »

It ain't that good. There's a reason why some unreleased stuff is unreleased.  Smiley

Ja, but I'm a completist who must have/hear everything. That and '74 California Feelin' are my two holy grails of BW vocals. :D

Rather surprised they haven't leaked, considering some of the things that have been booted (like Fig Plucker).

Also, Male Ego is a great example, Andrew. Maybe "shouty" isn't the word, but it's when he actually pushes the vocals out rather than sing them.  To be honest, you know what actually qualifies under that criteria? Even though he was in good voice at the time, the way he sang it....You're So Good to Me.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2010, 03:11:23 PM »

I'm surprised Male Ego was only released as the CD bonus track. Yeah it's fluff, but it's still much better than most of BB85.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2010, 03:15:56 PM »

I think the fact it sounds like a demo kept it from being on the album proper. It has that "Too Much Sugar" half-assed Landy quality to it.

Fun song though. Really, if anything should've been cut, it should've been "It's Just a Matter of Time".

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2010, 03:18:24 PM »

The reason the music means different things to different people I guess. I love Brians vocal on 'Male Ego' as a counter to Mikes. Works for me.
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2010, 06:06:24 PM »

I've heard a good portion of BW88 been called "shouty," but I still think he held pitch very well on that album, and sounded confident. "Melt Away" is one of his best vocals of the solo period imho and "Let it Shine" is even better...even if his production techniques may have been in the cheezy department sometimes I believed Jeff Lynne coaxed amazing vocals out of him and he would've served the album well. Generally, I think the better the material the better the vocals for Brian...the exception being something like "Grief Never Grows Old" where he sounds terrific and the song is weak and "California Feelin'" 2002 where it's a classic song but a plodding vocal.

I always liked "Male Ego" as a vocal, it's a decent tune but not a classic. It's the best of Brian's material on the album imho, "I'm So Lonely" is an example of a bad shouty vocal.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2010, 06:26:15 PM »

i feel like "melt away" is waaaay shouty
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2010, 06:32:31 PM »

When did this start?

First shouty vocal I know of is "Lucy Jones", 11/12/74. It got a whole lot worse, but that's the earliest one I've heard.
By the time Lucy Jones was recorded, was his voice already hoarse? Did his voice still have any of the "classic Brian" sound?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2010, 06:35:52 PM »

i feel like "melt away" is waaaay shouty

I think slurred is more like it. There are a few shouty parts in that one. I swear there is another on BW88 that is shouty that I can't place......

checking itunes;

'Walking The Line' - 'Walk Walk Walk, I keep on walking the line' - more like shouting the line  Grin

Yeah, not a fan of his solo shouting songs.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
summerinparadise.flac
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2010, 08:00:51 PM »

How about Meet Me in My Dreams Tonight for shouty.

"I'll haunt you like a ghost"
-Brian Wilson, the Ruby song from Party.

Please support the Beach Boys without being a rude dude or grumpy gus.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2010, 10:45:50 PM »

When did this start?

By the time Lucy Jones was recorded, was his voice already hoarse? Did his voice still have any of the "classic Brian" sound?

I just wonder what Brian vocal of that era it would best compare to. I think AGD may have said the vocals were most comparable to "Chapel of Love", which wasn't very good, per se, but it was fun. But if he was sounding supposedly "young" on "California Feelin'" a few weeks before, I'm confused. Although I'm sure this was probably right near the middle of the period of losing his voice.

I have to ask though, why did Brian's voice basically go from sounding like one person to sounding like an entirely different person? I mean, Nilsson went from A Little Touch of Schmilsson In The Night to P**** Cats vocally in one year. But he still sounded like the same person, and his vocals thereafter, while a little bit different, sounded like Harry Nilsson.

I do hear the young Brian in the performance of "God Only Knows" from the clip on YouTube that Paul Reiser introduces. Is it possible that this was always going to be Brian's "mature" voice, or do you think if he took better care we'd have ended up with a more Carl-like sound but just a bit shriller?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 10:50:39 PM by sweetdudejim » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx