gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:16:02 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian's shouty vocals  (Read 21370 times)
summerinparadise.flac
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 20, 2010, 02:30:30 PM »

He's on the tag to 'Tree' aint he?

Probs my fave tag ever Smiley

If you're thinking of the prominent vocal "lay me down, my branches to the ground" etc. that's Al.

"I'll haunt you like a ghost"
-Brian Wilson, the Ruby song from Party.

Please support the Beach Boys without being a rude dude or grumpy gus.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: September 20, 2010, 04:31:05 PM »

Yup.

Also, I meant "much" of Holland, not "most". He's on Sail On Salor Steamboat, California, Funky Pretty, and supposedly has a brief cameo on Leaving This Town, although I cannot hear him

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
MBE
« Reply #102 on: September 20, 2010, 06:03:28 PM »

Brian is singing on Long Promised Road. Desper told me himself and its in his book. He does the Down Down Down Down. He also does sing on Tree doing some of the do do do's at the end. Again Desper is my source.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 20, 2010, 06:04:44 PM »

First off...this doesn't violate board terms...this is only a clip...

Brian on He Came Down. For the LONGEST time I thought this was Dennis. However, it's not, unless Dennis learned how to be in two places at once. Oddly, Brian sounds EXACTLY like he did in 1976, which makes one wonder.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/yhpa04

Ok, Brian on Marcella. This was harder to isolate....Mike's vocals are still on there, but Brian's part is now in the middle ("what's in her head"), noticeably lower than what we are used to, but higher pitched than the above link. As a bonus, the doobie doobie part is isolated, but with a LOT of hiss and noise...I stand corrected...it's Brian.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/9j2cv3
Dude! Thank you VERY much for those clips! When people were talking about the "what's in her head" part, I was very confused. I couldn't remember that lyric anywhere in the song. Long story short, I was mistaking the "what's in her head" lyric as "marcella baaaaaaaaaabe".  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: September 20, 2010, 10:22:42 PM »

For the longest time I thought it was "voice in her head". :D

Comment on "He Came Down"? Wasn't that mindblowing?  How did he sound like that then and not again until a few years later?! Weird... LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: September 21, 2010, 12:11:10 AM »

Brian is singing on Long Promised Road. Desper told me himself and its in his book. He does the Down Down Down Down. He also does sing on Tree doing some of the do do do's at the end. Again Desper is my source.

Fascinating stuff, did never think that.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 21, 2010, 12:36:22 AM »

Comment on "He Came Down"? Wasn't that mindblowing?  How did he sound like that then and not again until a few years later?! Weird... LOL
The He Came Down one was weird. If I didn't know better, I'd say that it was a 15BO outtake.

Curtis Leon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 21, 2010, 12:38:52 AM »

He's also on the majority of Carl and the Passions, too. Can't hear him on the Blondie and Ricky tracks, but I can on everything else besides maybe Make it Good, which doesn't feature harmonies much at all. Maybe not on All This is That too, but I'm not sure. I think I can hear him...

Brian's not on either of the 'Flame' tracks, nor "Make It Good" (no other BB on that at all aside from Dennis) or "All This Is That" - so that's half the album - and I'm not at all convinced about "Cuddle Up" either.

Hmm. Who did the vocal harmonies on Make it Good, then? Around 1:55 in the track, I can hear some type of backing vocalists. Unless someone's playing some instrument that sounds suspiciously like singing. I always thought he did some backing vocals on All This is That, too. Must've been Carl or something.
Curtis Leon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 21, 2010, 12:41:29 AM »

The He Came Down one was weird. If I didn't know better, I'd say that it was a 15BO outtake.

Yeah, I know. The last few seconds of the "Eeee" part sound EXACTLY like 15 Big Ones. Maybe 1976 Brian time traveled into the past just to record that one bit to f*** with the fan's heads?
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 21, 2010, 12:44:16 AM »

Maybe he just had a cold or something? For a long time I thought it was Dennis singing Hawaii. It was actually Mike with a heavy cold.

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 21, 2010, 12:50:38 AM »

Maybe he just had a cold or something? For a long time I thought it was Dennis singing Hawaii. It was actually Mike with a heavy cold.

Same here. Couldn't believe it was Mike.

BTW: I am certain that people like Brian, with their habits, can have 'multiple voices' on any given day. In the morning: rough from last night's alcohol and smoking. After eating and drinking somewhat: younger, but still nasal. Perhaps the most youngish: early evening, after dinner, well-lubricated but not inebriated. During the evening: decrease in articulation, more of a slur.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: September 21, 2010, 12:51:13 AM »

Curtis, those vocals are by Dennis, singing at the top of his range.

As for BW's part on HCD...that makes no sense to me.  Maybe did a whole bunch of white or something...dunno.

I don't hear Brian on Cuddle Up at *all*. Is Toni Tenille on there though?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 12:52:47 AM by Billy C » Logged

Curtis Leon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 21, 2010, 12:53:51 AM »

As for BW's part on HCD...that makes no sense to me.  Maybe did a whole bunch of white or something...dunno.

Damn. He must've been doing falsetto or something. Sounds exactly like his brothers! Wonder why he didn't do it too often...
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: September 21, 2010, 12:58:04 AM »

He really couldn't do it too often. Plus, once his demons really took hold, any remaining smoothness in his voice disappeared. Really, his notes on this cut and "Slip On Through" were about as high as he got.

Vocally speaking.

Curtis Leon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 21, 2010, 01:06:54 AM »

He really couldn't do it too often. Plus, once his demons really took hold, any remaining smoothness in his voice disappeared. Really, his notes on this cut and "Slip On Through" were about as high as he got.

Vocally speaking.

When DID Dennis lose his voice? I've heard it was due to a throat punch or something.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: September 21, 2010, 01:08:46 AM »

That killed it, yeah, but it had already declined  before that. Compare "Cuddle Up" to "Love Surrounds Me", for example.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: September 21, 2010, 01:10:35 AM »

Damn. He must've been doing falsetto or something. Sounds exactly like his brothers! Wonder why he didn't do it too often...

Carl is definitely on "Cuddle Up", as is Toni.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: September 21, 2010, 01:13:26 AM »

I KNEW it...couldn't have been anyone else, unless someone punched Bruce in the ballsack. :D

Any theories on why Brian sounded like he did on He Came Down, though?

adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 21, 2010, 01:47:28 AM »

I brought this same thing up on the ultimate vocal thread (Brian's 1976 voice appearing on "He Come Down").  The consensus was...nothing.  Nobody could explain it.  A lot of people didn't believe it was Brian at all.  So it's still a mystery, as they say.

I think the different voices for different parts of the day is as good an explanation of anybody.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: September 21, 2010, 02:06:44 AM »

Crazy, ain't it? Just so wild that he sounds so DIFFERENT, but makes me wonder how much pitch altering was used on vocals where he was sounded higher pitched.

Then again...I recently found a demo of It'S Over Now (NOT the one commonly booted with the rest of the Love You Demos and That Special feeling) where he was singing in the same way as he did in the early 70s, only with rasp. Freaky stuff.

oldsurferdude
« Reply #120 on: September 21, 2010, 09:01:29 AM »

Fascinating stuff, did never think that.
The first time I listened to the album I knew it was Brian on both tracks-never thought it was anyone else. The tree goes from reilly nicely into Brian-and he's the singular voice behind the verses on LPR. Thanks Marilyn.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: September 21, 2010, 09:53:21 AM »

His book doesn't mention Brian doing anything on "LPR", just a reference to Carl doing something he (Brian) used to do.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 21, 2010, 10:03:07 AM »

His book doesn't mention Brian doing anything on "LPR", just a reference to Carl doing something he (Brian) used to do.
David Marks book says Brian did the "ba-ba-bas" on the floor.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 21, 2010, 10:13:32 AM »

I have a hard time hearing Brian on "Marcella" and "He Come Down". I tried. I played it over and over, but I just don't.....................maybe I'm gettin' old.

Tell me I'm not getting old, Van Dyke!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Ganz Allein
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 21, 2010, 11:06:39 AM »

I have a hard time hearing Brian on "Marcella" and "He Come Down". I tried. I played it over and over, but I just don't.....................maybe I'm gettin' old.

Tell me I'm not getting old, Van Dyke!

I've listened to those extracts a lot, too. While I can hear Brian on "Mess of Help," I can't really hear him on the other two.  The "what's in her head" part on "He Come Down" doesn't sound to me like early '70s or late '70s Brian. If anything, it sounds slightly like Dennis to me. The "doo bee doo" parts do sound Brianish, though.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx