gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680756 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 03:29:54 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Will Blondie Chaplin and Ricky Fataar be part of the reunion?  (Read 15927 times)
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 13, 2010, 01:58:07 PM »

I've read in the news that the reunion could be at least Brian, Mike, Al, Bruce and David, and that is as good as we can hope for, but if Blondie and Ricky could join as well, it would be perfect. I know Blondie is with the Rolling Stones and Ricky tours with Bonnie Raitt, but as the Rolling Stones are not likely to tour next year, I think the Beach Boys should ask Blondie to join. We need him to sing "Sail on Sailor" on stage, that song is a must. If Ricky can't drum, then perhaps Mike Kowalski.
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 02:00:24 PM »

BTW I haven't been able to find any Ricky Fataar albums on CD, except the Flame album, produced by Carl Wilson. Are there any Ricky Fataar solo albums on CD?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 02:16:29 PM »

BTW I haven't been able to find any Ricky Fataar albums on CD, except the Flame album, produced by Carl Wilson. Are there any Ricky Fataar solo albums on CD?

No. Because there are no Ricky Fataar solo albums, period.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 02:19:25 PM »

If Ricky can't drum, then perhaps Mike Kowalski.

If Ricky can't drum, them please God, ANYBODY but Mike Kowalski. How about the current drummers, John Cowsill... or Mikey D'Amico ?

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 02:21:31 PM »

Hell, even Stamos over Kowalski.  Or better yet, Bobby Figueroa.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 02:26:24 PM »

If Ricky can't drum, them please God, ANYBODY but Mike Kowalski. How about the current drummers, John Cowsill... or Mikey D'Amico ?

Yes, John Cowsill is a good choice, because he can also sing. But "Help Me Rhonda" should be sung by Al, of course. Wasn't Mike Kowalski the longest serving BB live drummer?
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 02:30:18 PM »

Do you know if there are any other Flame albums reissued on CD? I think there was a second Flame album, but whether Carl had any hand in it, I don't know.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2010, 02:33:24 PM »

Hey Googa, you ever hearda Figueroa? He played percussion and sometimes drums in the 70's when Dennis was too drunk or coked out to play. Kowalski had trouble keeping time - he out-stayed his welcome a few years.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2010, 02:34:05 PM »

Yes, John Cowsill is a good choice, because he can also sing. But "Help Me Rhonda" should be sung by Al, of course. Wasn't Mike Kowalski the longest serving BB live drummer?

Possibly, but towards the end, say 2003 onwards, he was an increasing liability. I saw him in 2004 & 2005, and he was embarrassing.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2010, 02:35:53 PM »

Do you know if there are any other Flame albums reissued on CD? I think there was a second Flame album, but whether Carl had any hand in it, I don't know.

Carl had nothing to do with the 2nd Flame album, which wasn't ever released. The CD reissue of the original Flame CD is of questionable legality.

GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2010, 02:37:30 PM »

Hey Googa, you ever hearda Figueroa? He played percussion and sometimes drums in the 70's when Dennis was too drunk or coked out to play. Kowalski had trouble keeping time - he out-stayed his welcome a few years.

Yes, I've heard of Bobby Figueroa. I'm not that well read on the live history of the band, but I find it odd that Kowalski could serve as long as he did, if, as you say, he wasn't that good a drummer. I just suggested him because I want the reunion to be as historic and authentic as possible.
Jason
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2010, 02:39:47 PM »

I'd say the only CD reissue of anything Flame that was a LEGAL CD was the 1994 South African "Best of the Flames".
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2010, 02:41:44 PM »

I'd say the only CD reissue of anything Flame that was a LEGAL CD was the 1994 South African "Best of the Flames".

That might have tracks from the second album. I'll look for it.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2010, 02:55:07 PM »

Andrew will correct me if I'm talking arse here but that CD is probably comprised of stuff they recorded in South Africa pre Brother signing as "The Flames". The second album for Brother has never seen the light of day period, despite Steve Desper's tireless efforts to get it a release.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 03:06:27 PM by mikes beard » Logged

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2010, 02:55:22 PM »

That might have tracks from the second album. I'll look for it.

If it's a straight reissue of the 1969 Trutone compilation, no. You don't seem to quite understand. The 2nd Flame album, recorded in the USA, was never released anywhere,

Jason
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2010, 03:01:23 PM »

From Bas Möllenkramer's EXCELLENT Flames site -

The Best Of The Flames (CD)

Teal records in South Africa assembled songs from Burning Soul and Soulfire into what should have been an excellent Flames compilation. Unfortunatley the master tapes of the Flames albums are lost for good (see "The Lost Tapes" elsewhere on this website) and so this Compact Disc had to be mastered from records. It would seem by listening to the CD that the engineers at Teal only had a mono copy of Soulfire available to them, in addition to a stereo copy of Burnign Soul. It's feasible to make CD's from records, but it requires high preformance computers and software to get rid of pops and clicks without disturbing the music. This was demonstrated succesfully back in 1976 when Soundstream restored Caruso recordings from the beginning of this century. The Flames CD was mastered using second rate equipment and the result is disappointing. It is my belief better results can be obtained using top of the line declicking and denoising equipment, and searching for mint condition copies of the original records in true stereo.

This CD cannot unfortunately be recommended. If it is your only way to hear the Flames then buy it, but be aware the records sound far better.

As far as I'm concerned, speaking as someone who's heard the 1970 Flame LP and the 1963-69 Flames sides, all of their stuff belongs on CD. The Flames stuff in particular - you'll hear why they were the biggest band in South Africa.
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2010, 03:05:29 PM »

Who's got the rights to the second album? If they were the biggest band in South Africa, there must be a market for this stuff. I quite like the Flame CD I've got, but it was a needle drop and rather muddy at that.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 03:06:34 PM by GoogaMooga » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2010, 03:22:52 PM »

Who's got the rights to the second album? If they were the biggest band in South Africa, there must be a market for this stuff. I quite like the Flame CD I've got, but it was a needle drop and rather muddy at that.

They were very big in South Africa - among the non-white audience. Then they left to try their luck overseas, got noticed by The BB and ended up in the US. I'm guessing Brother owns the rights to the 2nd album, although possession being nine points of the law, Steve Desper would have a very, very good claim as he's been the guardian of those tapes since 1970, not to mention producing them.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2010, 03:44:58 PM »

They were very big in South Africa - among the non-white audience. Then they left to try their luck overseas, got noticed by The BB and ended up in the US. I'm guessing Brother owns the rights to the 2nd album, although possession being nine points of the law, Steve Desper would have a very, very good claim as he's been the guardian of those tapes since 1970, not to mention producing them.

Other than Steve's morals then, I wonder why there's been no unofficial release for the 2nd album?
It could be  a Sea Of Tunes release( hint hint)
who would be able to say how they were obtained, much like the SOT's that are available...
even if it only sold 500-1000. no fancy artwork or tracklist needed, tho I'm betting ther'd be volunteers to write them.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2010, 05:05:53 PM »

I heard that Ricky/Stig O'Hara will be too busy doing a Rutles Reunion. They are rumored to be doing a Pre-Fab at 50 Tour.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
jimmyboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2010, 05:35:01 PM »

what reunion??  Cheesy
jimmyboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2010, 05:43:58 PM »

I've read in the news that the reunion could be at least Brian, Mike, Al, Bruce and David, and that is as good as we can hope for, but if Blondie and Ricky could join as well, it would be perfect. I know Blondie is with the Rolling Stones and Ricky tours with Bonnie Raitt, but as the Rolling Stones are not likely to tour next year, I think the Beach Boys should ask Blondie to join. We need him to sing "Sail on Sailor" on stage, that song is a must. If Ricky can't drum, then perhaps Mike Kowalski.
I read someplace online that the Stones ARE touring next year. But....
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2010, 05:57:46 PM »

What about the Dragons? Are they still alive? (Serious question. I really don't know)

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2010, 06:56:13 PM »

To sing the lead on  "Don't Worry Baby" - Adrian Baker.

To sing "God Only Knows" - Bruce or Brian.
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2010, 06:57:58 PM »

I read someplace online that the Stones ARE touring next year. But....

I know the Rolling Stones are planning at least one more world tour, but I didn't think they'd be ready by 2011. A Rolling Stones World Tour is a massive undertaking.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx