gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680724 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 09:29:24 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Experiments and Observations  (Read 6978 times)
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2010, 02:48:17 PM »

What, Nobody or Charlie?  Wink

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2010, 02:57:28 PM »

What, Nobody or Charlie?  Wink

Why, Charlie of course. Nobody was, is... well, nobody.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2010, 05:31:20 PM »

Nobody knows the trouble I've seen...nobody knows...the sorrow...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2010, 12:22:05 AM »

So I really relaly got into the Beatles when i was 14. I'm 24 now for the record. i dismissed the Beach boys as lame surf merda because I was brainwashed by the Beatles. And I do still think the Beatles are the best BAND ever, and I know all their merda and trivia and I listen to them in mono exclusively. I never liked Sgt. Pepper that much til I heard it in Mono, at which point I totally got it. Aside from that, I believe that The Who are the greatest Rock & Rollers ever, and I enjoy Pete Townsend for being a totally insane creative genius. My favorite contemporary band is the Flaming Lips. Naturallya s i got into them I realized their influences were mainly The Who and The Beach Boys. I heard talk of Pet Sounds tossed about a lot in album discussions. Finally I decided to listen to Pet Sounds. I was incredibly high, because I wanted to ensure as close as an experience to the original as possible.

Quite simply it blew my mind. Here was an album better than any single Beatles album, from that dumb surf band I'd dismissed as the Beatle's inferiors.

I got curious and did some research and learned mroe baout thsi SMiLE thing i'd only heard mentioned in passing. Madness. I saw it had been "completed" and that the completion had recieved well so I checked it out.

It also blew my mind. The sheer perfection, the hundreds of little,. perfect melodies woven together and overflowing, the lyrical callbacks and thematic cohesion, the inventiveness of iot all blew me away. I decided I had entirely been unfair to this group.

My researches brought me here, and i've been lurking for a couple months, relaly impressed with the comprehensiveness of the posts and knowledge contained. I saw a crazy thread abotu love You and being into crazy merda, I checked that it. It's my 2nd favorite Beach boys albums, and i've been thoroughly itno the rest as well. I'm a musician, i specialize in the ukulele, and in learning beahc boys and brian songs I've discovered a lot about the way he writes, which adds an aditional level of complexity I can draw on as  asongwriter. The dense chords he works in sound perfectly clear on a ukulele, there's no muddle, it's all very concise but sounds so great. I think one of the reasons I love Love You so much is the sparse instrumentation let's you really hear the subtlety in his chord progressions and really just focus on the most basic, perfect element of the song. it's an unplugged sensibility run through a computer. it's amazing.

I've really immersed myself in tio increidbly for 2 months, and a glance at my last.fm account would indicate unhealthy obsession, but I can't believe the wealth of music I've discovered.

And the line someone posted here about Love You begin "Mozart on coke in a bathrobe with birthday cake in his beard" is pretty much the most exciting description of a mad genius I can imagine.

Time will tell if you are or aren't Nobody (he seems to unwittingly post himself into oblivion after several days) but regardless - welcome to you and thanks for sharing your story. Always great to hear about the moment that the BB obsession takes hold and cool to have the more psychedelic perspective too.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 12:46:43 AM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
MBE
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2010, 01:55:21 AM »

Manson is unreal. Still I think he's not as crazy as he likes people to think he is. In other words he's a great comedian. A sick bastard but he is an entertainer right?
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2010, 02:30:02 AM »

He was too smart and calculating to be completely crazy, so I think he falls firmly into sick, evil bastard category. He clearly had/has a knack for appealing to misguided losers. Just look at Susan Atkins.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 12:19:26 PM by mikes beard » Logged

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2010, 03:01:11 AM »

He was too smart and calculating to be completely crazy, so I think he falls firmly into sick, evil bastard category. He clearly had a knack for appealing to misguided losers (still does). Just look at Susan Atkins.

Well - smart, calculating, manipulative, full of lust and desire, and a complete lack of conscience. I doubt whether 'crazy' is a fitting word. I'd reserve that for people who see pink elephants all of the time, or who buy Kenny G. records.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2010, 03:03:51 AM »

He was too smart and calculating to be completely crazy, so I think he falls firmly into sick, evil bastard category. He clearly had a knack for appealing to misguided losers (still does). Just look at Susan Atkins.

Well - smart, calculating, manipulative, full of lust and desire, and a complete lack of conscience. I doubt whether 'crazy' is a fitting word. I'd reserve that for people who see pink elephants all of the time, or who buy Kenny G. records.

Or believe that they can levitate and see ghosts.  Wink

ukulelejesus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2010, 11:35:26 AM »

Time will tell if you are or aren't Nobody (he seems to unwittingly post himself into oblivion after several days) but regardless - welcome to you and thanks for sharing your story. Always great to hear about the moment that the BB obsession takes hold and cool to have the more psychedelic perspective too.

Thanks. I would ask who Nobody is but I can tell I'd get some kind of pun for an answer.

Over and over the crow cries uncover the lifehouse lifehouse lifehouse
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2010, 11:39:01 AM »

Thanks. I would ask who Nobody is but I can tell I'd get some kind of pun for an answer.

Nobody was, and indeed still is, a troll and a f*ckwit, because he made supremely dumbass posts.

Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2010, 11:45:18 AM »

and you might want to stick your fingers in your ears at about 1.36

Look at your game, girl  Serenade Serenade

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2010, 12:29:59 PM »

If you wish to know who Nobody is check out some of the posts in the sandbox from around a year ago by him. He then came back under the name socoldigoburr about a month ago and managed to piss off AGD on roughly an hourly basis.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2010, 01:00:22 PM »

If you wish to know who Nobody is check out some of the posts in the sandbox from around a year ago by him. He then came back under the name socoldigoburr about a month ago and managed to piss off AGD on roughly an hourly basis.

It was a dirty job, but somebody had to do it.  Grin

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2010, 01:10:24 PM »

Always thought it was him:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=630cAlfBdeo

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx