gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680816 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 11:36:30 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Experiments and Observations  (Read 6988 times)
ukulelejesus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 10, 2010, 04:08:30 PM »

First of all, you have to have a beard to engage in any of these activities, but not necessarily to comprehend them.

Experiment 1: Try to experience Be My Baby the way Brian does.

METHOD; Smoke a lot of weed, plug right ear, listen to Be My Baby.

RESULTS:
 I turned my head so as to have it centered on the sound as well as I could. From the start it started to make sense. the drum sound and spoons provide a perfect centering effect, like a sonic mandala, then all this lovely superfluous noise is just happening all over the place. Now imagine this, and you're as crazy and high as Brian Wilson was back in Ye Gode Olde Love Ye Days.

PROPOSAL:

The Brian Wilson Emulation Experiment:

During the length of this experiment (Between 1-3 days) the subject would remain in one room consuming cocaine, marijuana, cigarettes, birthday cake, and ice cream.  At all time either Be My Baby will be playing or TiVo'd episodes of Wheel fo Fortune, Jeopardy, etc.

Over and over the crow cries uncover the lifehouse lifehouse lifehouse
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 04:10:55 PM »

Welcome back, nobody is a chode / nobody / thomasogg / whoever.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
ukulelejesus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 04:15:58 PM »

I'm actually new here. Began my Beach Boys obsession recently when i got tired of hearing how swell Pet Sounds was but hadn't gotten around to listening to it yet.

Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 04:52:32 PM »

Hahahahaha
summerinparadise.flac
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2010, 05:10:36 PM »

Can we get off the summerinparadise.flac is nobody thing now?

"I'll haunt you like a ghost"
-Brian Wilson, the Ruby song from Party.

Please support the Beach Boys without being a rude dude or grumpy gus.
Jason
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2010, 07:28:30 PM »

By all means, report the OP's post.
ukulelejesus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2010, 07:49:20 PM »

Did Phil Spector ever assemble his own Smile mix? I bet he did. I bet it was better than what Brian would have done.  I think he probably labelled it "WILSON SUCKS" and only had one copy, on casette tape, and it's sitting in some drawer in his house, inconspicuous, not noticed by the new residents. And he used his mind Gangster's one night to send Brian a message that he had made one and that Wilson would never hear it.

Speaking as a writer of weird fiction, the Beach Boys history provides a fascinating wealth of ideas and scenarios.

ukulelejesus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2010, 07:54:52 PM »

Pete Townsend's Lifehouse and SMiLE get into a fight. Who wins?

The Madcap
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2010, 08:29:07 PM »

Pete Townsend's Lifehouse and SMiLE get into a fight. Who wins?
SMiLE. Lifehouse would have been way too pretentious for it's own good. in fact, there are parts of Who's Next that I feel are too pretentious, and Lifehouse would have been even worse in that regard.

A broken man too tough to cry
ukulelejesus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2010, 08:35:36 PM »

But SMiLE was just an album that went awry. Lifehouse was supposed to be an album, a film, and a concert experience where everyone would have their biometric data fed into computers to have a single universal harmonious note play and cause people to vanish and ascend to a higher state of being. there would probably be a comic book prequel-tie in, and a Lifehouse Happy Meal if Townsend had his ways. The sheer scale of the failure between Lifehouse and SMiLE is a huge gulf. Brian wilson tried to do one extraordinary thing and broke it into too many pieces that he couldn't figure out how to put it all together and wasn't entirely sure what his plan was. Townsend knew exactly what he wanted to do and wasted massive amounts of time on all of it, even churning out of the the greatest Rock and Roll albums as an accidental byproduct of his decades spanning obsession with the Worst Idea Ever.

Actually there are huge similarities between The Who and The Beach Boys. Pete Townsend if Brian, Keith Moon is Dennis, John Entwhistle was Carl, and Daltrey was the Lovester. At least in terms of the sort of dynamic they worked with. no Al Jardine though. They had a resident insane genius, drunk sexed up maniac, and laid back calm guy, and douchey sellout frontman.

It all fits!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 08:37:48 PM by ukulelejesus » Logged

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2010, 12:35:11 AM »

GHB is totally, like, hip with young women, or so I hear.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
ukulelejesus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2010, 02:24:20 AM »

So I really relaly got into the Beatles when i was 14. I'm 24 now for the record. i dismissed the Beach boys as lame surf sh*t because I was brainwashed by the Beatles. And I do still think the Beatles are the best BAND ever, and I know all their sh*t and trivia and I listen to them in mono exclusively. I never liked Sgt. Pepper that much til I heard it in Mono, at which point I totally got it. Aside from that, I believe that The Who are the greatest Rock & Rollers ever, and I enjoy Pete Townsend for being a totally insane creative genius. My favorite contemporary band is the Flaming Lips. Naturallya s i got into them I realized their influences were mainly The Who and The Beach Boys. I heard talk of Pet Sounds tossed about a lot in album discussions. Finally I decided to listen to Pet Sounds. I was incredibly high, because I wanted to ensure as close as an experience to the original as possible.

Quite simply it blew my mind. Here was an album better than any single Beatles album, from that dumb surf band I'd dismissed as the Beatle's inferiors.

I got curious and did some research and learned mroe baout thsi SMiLE thing i'd only heard mentioned in passing. Madness. I saw it had been "completed" and that the completion had recieved well so I checked it out.

It also blew my mind. The sheer perfection, the hundreds of little,. perfect melodies woven together and overflowing, the lyrical callbacks and thematic cohesion, the inventiveness of iot all blew me away. I decided I had entirely been unfair to this group.

My researches brought me here, and i've been lurking for a couple months, relaly impressed with the comprehensiveness of the posts and knowledge contained. I saw a crazy thread abotu love You and being into crazy sh*t, I checked that it. It's my 2nd favorite Beach boys albums, and i've been thoroughly itno the rest as well. I'm a musician, i specialize in the ukulele, and in learning beahc boys and brian songs I've discovered a lot about the way he writes, which adds an aditional level of complexity I can draw on as  asongwriter. The dense chords he works in sound perfectly clear on a ukulele, there's no muddle, it's all very concise but sounds so great. I think one of the reasons I love Love You so much is the sparse instrumentation let's you really hear the subtlety in his chord progressions and really just focus on the most basic, perfect element of the song. it's an unplugged sensibility run through a computer. it's amazing.

I've really immersed myself in tio increidbly for 2 months, and a glance at my last.fm account would indicate unhealthy obsession, but I can't believe the wealth of music I've discovered.

And the line someone posted here about Love You begin "Mozart on coke in a bathrobe with birthday cake in his beard" is pretty much the most exciting description of a mad genius I can imagine.

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2010, 02:40:27 AM »

So I really relaly got into the Beatles when i was 14. I'm 24 now for the record. i dismissed the Beach boys as lame surf merda because I was brainwashed by the Beatles. And I do still think the Beatles are the best BAND ever, and I know all their merda and trivia and I listen to them in mono exclusively. I never liked Sgt. Pepper that much til I heard it in Mono, at which point I totally got it. Aside from that, I believe that The Who are the greatest Rock & Rollers ever, and I enjoy Pete Townsend for being a totally insane creative genius. My favorite contemporary band is the Flaming Lips. Naturallya s i got into them I realized their influences were mainly The Who and The Beach Boys. I heard talk of Pet Sounds tossed about a lot in album discussions. Finally I decided to listen to Pet Sounds. I was incredibly high, because I wanted to ensure as close as an experience to the original as possible.

Quite simply it blew my mind. Here was an album better than any single Beatles album, from that dumb surf band I'd dismissed as the Beatle's inferiors.

I got curious and did some research and learned mroe baout thsi SMiLE thing i'd only heard mentioned in passing. Madness. I saw it had been "completed" and that the completion had recieved well so I checked it out.

It also blew my mind. The sheer perfection, the hundreds of little,. perfect melodies woven together and overflowing, the lyrical callbacks and thematic cohesion, the inventiveness of iot all blew me away. I decided I had entirely been unfair to this group.

My researches brought me here, and i've been lurking for a couple months, relaly impressed with the comprehensiveness of the posts and knowledge contained. I saw a crazy thread abotu love You and being into crazy merda, I checked that it. It's my 2nd favorite Beach boys albums, and i've been thoroughly itno the rest as well. I'm a musician, i specialize in the ukulele, and in learning beahc boys and brian songs I've discovered a lot about the way he writes, which adds an aditional level of complexity I can draw on as  asongwriter. The dense chords he works in sound perfectly clear on a ukulele, there's no muddle, it's all very concise but sounds so great. I think one of the reasons I love Love You so much is the sparse instrumentation let's you really hear the subtlety in his chord progressions and really just focus on the most basic, perfect element of the song. it's an unplugged sensibility run through a computer. it's amazing.

I've really immersed myself in tio increidbly for 2 months, and a glance at my last.fm account would indicate unhealthy obsession, but I can't believe the wealth of music I've discovered.

And the line someone posted here about Love You begin "Mozart on coke in a bathrobe with birthday cake in his beard" is pretty much the most exciting description of a mad genius I can imagine.

How is your drug consumption today?

ukulelejesus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2010, 02:41:00 AM »

It's working out for me.

sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2010, 09:52:12 AM »

relaly?
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2010, 10:14:20 AM »

relaly?

Maybe you mean shillelagh

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
ukulelejesus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2010, 07:51:41 PM »

relaly?
You relaly got a hold on me.

Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2010, 09:45:33 PM »

I think I figured out who NOBODY was

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqrqaPThCmI

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2010, 12:21:44 AM »

I think we got a winner here. Our nobody will have received a big cake with a Commodore 64 in it, and each year he'd allowed to plug it in for 2 months.

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2010, 01:51:50 AM »

Anyone else think that this guy should have had a bullet to the brain years ago?

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Curtis Leon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2010, 02:23:55 AM »

Anyone else think that this guy should have had a bullet to the brain years ago?

I say he should've been locked up in a asylum and given pills for the rest of his life. It's obvious he's completely off his rocker.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2010, 02:43:34 AM »

A bullet's quicker and cheaper.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
ukulelejesus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2010, 02:22:38 PM »

Why would you want to kill the guy who wrote Never Learn Not to Love!?!?!?!

Jason
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2010, 02:23:40 PM »

Why would you want to kill the guy who wrote Never Learn Not to Love!?!?!?!

Please report this post...
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2010, 02:45:02 PM »

That is simultaneously one of the funniest, and the scariest, things I've ever seen. There's a longer version of this interview - here - that is just... surreal (and you might want to stick your fingers in your ears at about 1.36, btw). And yet... you can see how compelling and charismatic he could be.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 02:47:58 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx