gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680725 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 10:58:37 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bruce Johnston's idea for a new Brian Wilson album...  (Read 17204 times)
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 10, 2010, 01:00:21 PM »

This from the man who thought the LA LIGHT album would benefit from a giant disco song right in the middle....

I personally love HCTN, but that said, you have to admit it calls judgment into question thinking that that would have been a good idea.

This is one of the things that happens with industry-insider types, even ones with good intentions (and I hear nothing but good intentions in this idea)...it's very easy once you grasp that optics and canny marketing are 80% of what constitutes success to forget that the other 20% which is about what Rivers Cuomo once called "making it cool" does come into play.  To properly sell out, you need to make it look like you're not selling out.

I think it's a bad idea, but I salute Bruce's enthusiasm nonetheless.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 01:01:26 PM by adamghost » Logged
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 10, 2010, 02:51:40 PM »

If Brian does get round to doing a rock record I hope it is with a producer who hasn't got PS on the brain, if not it will just end up as more of the same.

I agree -- I'd love to see Brian do a new rock album, without any PS-influenced tracks! The PS-esque tracks on his other albums are the ones I play the least.

Yes, By all means; a Brian album without any Brian input.

A Brian Wilson album without any input from the man himself would be pointless agreed - but Pet Sounds wasn't the only good album he ever made. My point was that every person he works with on a solo project ALWAYS tries to make the music somehow connected to the PS mould of songwriting.

What if that's just how Brian Wilson sounds?

Exactly my point. Maybe Brian's input just makes it always sound PS-esque? Not saying it's a conscious plan.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 10, 2010, 07:25:46 PM »

As much as I love BWRG, I don't think Brian should continue down that path for the remainder of his career.  The Disney album will be enjoyable I'm sure, but it seems odd to me to suggest even more projects that don't involve any composing (the two "collaborations" on BWRG notwithstanding).  Brian is a songwriter, after all...if he still has the desire to write, why keep him doing covers?

I do like the idea of bringing in a "non-obvious" producer, just to bring a different feel to Brian's music, but that can really go either way (as we've seen in the past).  At the end of the day, Brian should be allowed to write and record whatever he has interest in writing and recording, whether that turns out to be more Pet Sounds-type songs/arrangements, a rock n' roll album, or just Brian by himself with a Moog.
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2010, 07:39:44 PM »

Brian needs to work with Steve Albini LOL
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 10, 2010, 08:19:31 PM »

Brian as composer faces five major challenges.

1.) He's intermittently inspired these days. When he is, he can turn out song after song, but when he isn't, he just produces fragments.

2.) He could be inspired by a collaborator, but that almost inevitably leads to problems with publishing / control / etc. with the wifeandmanagers. So he'll work with Scott if he's inspired, but Scott generally restricts his role to lyrics and some demo instrumentation because of the aforementioned reasons (just my guess).

3.) If Brian was truly inspired or found a kick-in-the-pants co-writer, the material itself wouldn't necessarily be any good.

4.) Raiding the vaults tends to not work so well. Brian tends not to be into recutting old songs (GIOMH vox compared with SI vox on the same tunes provides the evidence here).

5.) Lack of record company interest. If he has a project or some themed idea, they'll try. But I don't think a major label would go for a non-concept collection of BW songs. It already exists, but Disney would rather release a Gershwin album. Them's the facts.

Take that all together, and I'd say the prospects of many more major label collections of new BW songs is pretty dim If he wants to put out a BB album, that would work. And any indie would be more than happy to put out originals.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 10, 2010, 08:29:19 PM »

(just my guess).

Right!  Just your guess.  Grin

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 10, 2010, 08:32:10 PM »

Do you think Brian would -- or could, for that matter -- make the transition to a (medium- or major-sized?) indie label that is perhaps more willing to give him some leeway as to the end result product? I'd be very surprised if there were not any indie labels willing to do this -- I don't have one in mind off the top of my head or anything -- considering he is basically the darling of much independently-made pop music (although that is, of course, '60s-myth Brian and not so much 2010 Brian). Frankly, considering his albums don't sell too much and he is constrained by what the major label wants (or doesn't want), would it not be a better fit? Independent labels, especially the bigger ones, are (I assume) able to move 12,000 units easily just as well as Disney's labels are. And presumably an indie label, depending on which one it is, would be fine releasing a Brian Wilson album that has no conceptual conceit: just new Brian Wilson originals [with or without Scott's involvement, I guess]. While I think this would be neat, I don't have an axe to grind in thinking Brian Wilson is some sort of indie figurehead so I ask out of curiosity regarding how he would feel about it... or, I guess since that's probably a useless question, how his inner circle would feel about it, more accurately.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 10, 2010, 08:35:11 PM »

Oh, I think there's any number that would jump on it. Absolutely. The prestige factor alone. Tom Waits has been on an indie since the late 90s, and his albums sell more than his ones on major labels. The differences are pretty cosmetic at this point anyway.

The issue, I think, isn't one of interest. It's one of ego.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 10, 2010, 08:37:07 PM »

Right!  Just your guess.  Grin

It is, actually. But knowing the history of Paley et. al, it's not a difficult one to make. And honestly, Brian is also kind of flighty with his collaborators anyway -- ask Usher and Asher and Parks about it.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 10, 2010, 09:00:06 PM »

Gary Usher's dead.  But I did read Steve McParland's books.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 10, 2010, 09:04:38 PM »

Oh, I think there's any number that would jump on it. Absolutely. The prestige factor alone. Tom Waits has been on an indie since the late 90s, and his albums sell more than his ones on major labels. The differences are pretty cosmetic at this point anyway.

The issue, I think, isn't one of interest. It's one of ego.

For Brian himself or for his circle? There was that recent interview where Brian remarked rather off-the-cuff that the way the music industry works today is outmoded and is busy doin' nothing [ha! I should be a rock journalist!]. Maybe it was an inconsequential remark but I'll take it at face value for what it's worth: it at least seems like Brian realises no majors care about his music -- and maybe that he returns the favour? Perhaps he personally would be receptive to working with, I don't know, Yep Roc or Mint or whoever, but his people would see it as a loss of prestige going from Capitol or Disney to that. And we're back to where you (Wirestone) mention Brian's lack of self-determination; back to square one.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 11, 2010, 12:45:34 AM »

Do you think Brian would -- or could, for that matter -- make the transition to a (medium- or major-sized?) indie label that is perhaps more willing to give him some leeway as to the end result product? I'd be very surprised if there were not any indie labels willing to do this -- I don't have one in mind off the top of my head or anything -- considering he is basically the darling of much independently-made pop music (although that is, of course, '60s-myth Brian and not so much 2010 Brian). Frankly, considering his albums don't sell too much and he is constrained by what the major label wants (or doesn't want), would it not be a better fit? Independent labels, especially the bigger ones, are (I assume) able to move 12,000 units easily just as well as Disney's labels are. And presumably an indie label, depending on which one it is, would be fine releasing a Brian Wilson album that has no conceptual conceit: just new Brian Wilson originals [with or without Scott's involvement, I guess]. While I think this would be neat, I don't have an axe to grind in thinking Brian Wilson is some sort of indie figurehead so I ask out of curiosity regarding how he would feel about it... or, I guess since that's probably a useless question, how his inner circle would feel about it, more accurately.

Nice call. But he would have to get independent himself before addressing an independent label. I think Anti, or Sub Pop gladly would give him the opportunity to work. But the budget would be limited, and Brian would have to respect a certain schedule. To do that, he'd need a close collaborator/friend.

I suggest Mike Love.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 11, 2010, 03:09:21 AM »

A big problem with all the constant Label hopping is that it's going to be nigh on impossible to ever release a comprehensive "Best Of" compilation of Brian's solo material.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 11, 2010, 05:09:37 AM »

A big problem with all the constant Label hopping is that it's going to be nigh on impossible to ever release a comprehensive "Best Of" compilation of Brian's solo material.

Nah. We just have to wait 70 years. Then everything will be Public Domain.

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 11, 2010, 06:43:21 AM »

If Brian does get round to doing a rock record I hope it is with a producer who hasn't got PS on the brain, if not it will just end up as more of the same.

I agree -- I'd love to see Brian do a new rock album, without any PS-influenced tracks! The PS-esque tracks on his other albums are the ones I play the least.

I'd like to hear what songs you think are his PS-esque songs.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 11, 2010, 08:41:15 AM »

maybe he should sign to that Starbucks label with Paul.  lots of older artists there, carly simon, james taylor, elvis costello.
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 11, 2010, 09:54:51 AM »

maybe he should sign to that Starbucks label with Paul.  lots of older artists there, carly simon, james taylor, elvis costello.
I do believe Hear Music has effectively folded.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 11, 2010, 08:01:28 PM »

iF BWRG is Pet Sounds + Gershwin, I'm hoping the Disney album is Smile + Disney, as the "cartoon consciousness" of the Smile music would really fit with the Disney tunes.  Simpler, more idiosyncratic/strange arrangements.  An eerie quality to it all. 

An album of standards similar to "Deep Purple" on Adult Child?  I would love it, along with a couple of originals recorded the same way.

On my wish list for Brian producers?  I know it will never happen, but . . . Spector.  Maybe if he can get out on bail if he gets granted a new trial.  Unlikely, I know.  He would also be a great songwriting collaborator, except neither is good with lyrics.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 11, 2010, 09:42:23 PM »

On my wish list for Brian producers?  I know it will never happen, but . . . Spector.  Maybe if he can get out on bail if he gets granted a new trial.  Unlikely, I know.  He would also be a great songwriting collaborator, except neither is good with lyrics.

I don't see Spector as a great songwriter, never have. I think he added very little to every song he claimed.
I just lump him in with all the other label owners that added their names to the credits, or they wouldn't release the records.
 Most of a hit royalty, is better than no royalty

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 12, 2010, 12:21:56 AM »

Brian readily admits that he hears Phil Spector's voice in his head and also believed for a long time that Phil was trying to kill him. I doubt Phil would wish to spend any time in a room with Brian Wilson.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 12, 2010, 01:58:09 AM »

Brian readily admits that he hears Phil Spector's voice in his head and also believed for a long time that Phil was trying to kill him. I doubt Phil would wish to spend any time in a room with Brian Wilson.

The idea of two elderly men in one room, testing their pugilistic skills on each other, appeals to me. I would suggest Bill Murray as the referee.

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 12, 2010, 03:39:24 AM »

Brian : What did you just say Phil?

Phil: I didn't say nothing.

Brian: Yes you did just then!

Phil: Dammit Brian I havn't said a word for the last ten minutes!

Bill Murray: Phil put the gun down before someone gets hurt.

Curtis Leon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 12, 2010, 03:59:03 AM »

Actually, the "trying to kill" part seems fairly well founded considering.
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: September 12, 2010, 04:25:51 AM »

I respect Bruce as a musician, I like a handful of his songs as a songwriter, I think his surfin' round the world  album really rocked...but this idea of his is retarded.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 13, 2010, 08:22:54 AM »

Bruce said he likes the new,natural 2010 Brian voice.with out the falsetto highs and such.  I agree.  On that he is right, IMO.  But I think an all covers lp with an outside producer arranger would invite comments such as "Brian's singing is only so-so and he is no longer writing, arranging, or producing."

At this point, I'm not sure what I would like to hear Brian record.  But go with the natural voice whatever it might be.

I would like to hear a duet with Taylor Mills at some point.  At least a line or two in a song or two.

Maybe Its Over Now or Lets Put Our Hearts Together...as live numbers or remakes on a studio effort.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx