gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680877 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 12:44:22 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian and Beatles on KFWB Teen Fair Promo, March 1964  (Read 4780 times)
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 08, 2010, 01:05:56 PM »

Has anyone heard the audio to this Capitol Teen Fair promo acetate?  (Other than the short snippet which can be heard on the link below?)  If so, what details can you provide?

http://www.beatlesource.com/bs/ac-teen.html

1964 33 1/3 RPM 8 Inch Capitol (No #) (Acetate)

"This unique Capitol Records acetate features phone interviews from March 11, 1964 with all four beatles, Brian Wilson, and Dick Dale. The interview was done as a promotion for the California Teen Fair. The recording features a full six minutes of verbal interplay between John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison, Ringo Starr, Brian Wilson, and Dick Dale. Comments include Brian Wilson saying how much he likes the Beatles music and Dick Dale commenting on the Beatles' haircuts. The Beatles discuss the filming of their upcoming movie, which they said still didn't have a title. The movie they talked about was of course Hard Day's Night."

"Beginning March 15th, 1964, KFWB radio in Los Angeles sponsored a week long "Teen Fair" at the Hollywood Palladium. The event was basically a music and pop culture festival with various vendors and non-stop music. Dick Dale & His Del-Tones played every day with various special guests performing ... A few days before the event, as a promotion for the fair (and their label's artists), Capitol Records' Jack Wagner set up a conference call telephone interview with The Beatles, Dick Dale, and Brian Wilson. Apparently, this interview was played many times at the Capitol Records booth at the fair."

"Although apparently scripted, it's a very entertaining interview narrated by Jack Wagner with some Beatles, Beach Boys & Dick Dale song snippets. The six minutes of verbal interplay between all four Beatles, Brian Wilson and Dick Dale is precious. Brian comments about how much he likes the Beatles' music and he and Dick Dale discuss the Beatles' haircuts. They also give their opinions about the Beatles' suits. The Beatles talk about their as-yet unnamed film which they had just begun filming. Of course, this film was to be "A Hard Day's Night".  This acetate, which apparently is the only known copy, was discovered at a flea market in Los Angeles in 2001 and auctioned by Good Rockin Tonight. The final bid price at that time was $10,408." 
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 01:49:09 PM »

Haven't heard it.
I did win it in an Ebay auction for $900, about 2 years ago.
the seller then played a game with me, told me it was totally ruined by his assistant( while he was preparing it for shipping), and please don't send any $$. So I didn't. 
the following year he decided it "really wasn't as bad as he'd told me" and auctioned it again and got about $1500 for it.
I can say this:  I'M REALLY GLAD HE DIDN"T GET ANYWHERE NEAR THE $10K, he paid for it. I hope someone suffocates him soon.

Enough Whining, you're probably saying about now.

It would be neat to hear the whole thing, fer sure.
But to sell copies might diminish the value in some people's eyes, so who knows? 

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 01:51:38 PM »

I'm glad I'm not a "record collector," goshdarn. I would never pay $900 -- or anything even remotely close -- for something like this, even if I did have that kind of disposable income. Jeez.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 02:28:28 PM »

Has anyone heard the audio to this Capitol Teen Fair promo acetate?  (Other than the short snippet which can be heard on the link below?)  If so, what details can you provide?

"This unique Capitol Records acetate features phone interviews from March 11, 1964 with all four beatles, Brian Wilson, and Dick Dale. The interview was done as a promotion for the California Teen Fair. The recording features a full six minutes of verbal interplay between John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison, Ringo Starr, Brian Wilson, and Dick Dale. Comments include Brian Wilson saying how much he likes the Beatles music and Dick Dale commenting on the Beatles' haircuts. The Beatles discuss the filming of their upcoming movie, which they said still didn't have a title. The movie they talked about was of course Hard Day's Night."

"Beginning March 15th, 1964, KFWB radio in Los Angeles sponsored a week long "Teen Fair" at the Hollywood Palladium. The event was basically a music and pop culture festival with various vendors and non-stop music. Dick Dale & His Del-Tones played every day with various special guests performing ... A few days before the event, as a promotion for the fair (and their label's artists), Capitol Records' Jack Wagner set up a conference call telephone interview with The Beatles, Dick Dale, and Brian Wilson. Apparently, this interview was played many times at the Capitol Records booth at the fair."

"Although apparently scripted, it's a very entertaining interview narrated by Jack Wagner with some Beatles, Beach Boys & Dick Dale song snippets. The six minutes of verbal interplay between all four Beatles, Brian Wilson and Dick Dale is precious. Brian comments about how much he likes the Beatles' music and he and Dick Dale discuss the Beatles' haircuts. They also give their opinions about the Beatles' suits. The Beatles talk about their as-yet unnamed film which they had just begun filming. Of course, this film was to be "A Hard Day's Night".  This acetate, which apparently is the only known copy, was discovered at a flea market in Los Angeles in 2001 and auctioned by Good Rockin Tonight. The final bid price at that time was $10,408."  

I remember this from a few years back - memory is cloudy but I think the opinion was it's not entirely kosher.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 02:34:21 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 04:00:03 PM »

Has anyone heard the audio to this Capitol Teen Fair promo acetate?  (Other than the short snippet which can be heard on the link below?)  If so, what details can you provide?

"Although apparently scripted, it's a very entertaining interview narrated by Jack Wagner with some Beatles, Beach Boys & Dick Dale song snippets. The six minutes of verbal interplay between all four Beatles, Brian Wilson and Dick Dale is precious. Brian comments about how much he likes the Beatles' music and he and Dick Dale discuss the Beatles' haircuts. They also give their opinions about the Beatles' suits. The Beatles talk about their as-yet unnamed film which they had just begun filming. Of course, this film was to be "A Hard Day's Night".  This acetate, which apparently is the only known copy, was discovered at a flea market in Los Angeles in 2001 and auctioned by Good Rockin Tonight. The final bid price at that time was $10,408."  

I remember this from a few years back - memory is cloudy but I think the opinion was it's not entirely kosher.

I can't definitely vouch for it, but, I will say that as I recall, Rockaway Records in LA vouched for the authenticty of the acetate. ( or at least that the crook that was selling it was the same guy who had paid $10K for it  from GRT) My memory is hazy as to whether they vouched for the acetate being authentic, but I'm pretty sure everyone I checked with had no problems with it being legitimate.
 Must have been some sort of legal problems at the time, else why didn't it make it to one of those Jack Wagner Silver Platters? ( maybe the Beatles' lawyers?)

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 05:06:29 PM »

If it is legit, why hasn't a tape, CD, or vinyl copy of it made the rounds? Acetates are playable - the audio quality may not be too good, but why haven't we heard the audio to this (i.e. the Beatles Alf Bicknell tapes that are now ubiquitous). If not Beach Boys collectors, for sure Beatles collectors would like to have an audio copy of this.

The closest we have to this is the audio of Brian & Lennon talking on the phone at the same time with a DJ.

Here's where it was supposedly recorded:

http://gogonotes.blogspot.com/2008/12/palladium-lawrence-weld-years.html

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 05:48:07 PM »

To be specific, it is stated that the audio was recorded via phone hook-ups, but played back at the Teen Fair at the Hollywood Palladium (where I have great memories of seeing the BBs in April 73).

Assuming that the acetate was, in fact, discovered by a collector at a flea market in 2001, who then decided to sell it, with the most recent bidder paying $10,408 for it, it seems logical that the individuals selling and buying this item may have decided that circulating recordings of the audio would diminish the acetate's value.

AGD - when you said "memory is cloudy but I think the opinion was it's not entirely kosher" were you referring to the existence of the audio, or the legitimacy of the acetate containing the audio being a one of a kind collectible from 1964?

I'm no expert on acetates, so I guess one question would be, to what extent does this 33 & 1/3 rpm 8 inch acetate resemble something that Capitol would have pressed in 1964?

Then, as far as the audio is concerned, is there any existing audio making the rounds of Brian speaking, via a phone conversation, with John and George, (along with Jack Wagner) about their haircuts?  If not, at least this 15 second snippet, featured on the link, is legitimate, and would indicate a very strong probability that the entire 6 minutes is legitimate.

My feeling is that from what bgas has said, coupled with the 15 second audio snippet, the info from nme.com (seen on the link), and the fact that someone actually paid over 10K for the item, that it is most likely legit.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 05:51:05 PM by Custom Machine » Logged
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 06:03:25 PM »

Here's the only known (to my knowledge) phone conversation between a couple of the Beatles and Brian Wilson. It sounds like Jack Wagner conducting the interview.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VgutMOXygg

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 09:20:05 PM »

Here's a copy of the email regarding "our deal" which I printed in June of 2007( the original sale was March 2007):

His name and email at the time are shown, as is mine.
 Yeah, I copied the photos he sent too, but so what?  What a sucker I was. I should have sent the $$ anyway.  Ah well.
He now sells on Ebay as toddcollects;( then he was toadota2000) feel free to contact him and see if he'll let you have a copy of his mp3 of the entire disc; he said he had one when he auctioned it again on Ebay in April of 2008. ( I was wrong on the price; the Starting bid was $2K with a Buy It Now of $5K. Might be able to find it somewhere on Popsike, to see what it sold for, I'm not sure. It was item # 330227987053; but I'm pretty sure they recycle numbers after awhile.
here's the description relevant to that part( see the condition update):  

I argued to Ebay that he should have to sell it to me, at the price I won it for, but you know Ebay, they "only keep records for 90 days" or whatever crap they peddle. Plus, since I "never sent him any $$, ( good trick andy) it wasn't really mine to begin with.  

For what it's worth, I think it's legit. It was vetted enough times to be, that's for sure.  
But then, When I have to come back and think about it, I still have sour grapes, ya know?  
And $900? I paid a LOT more for my Smile Slicks and Booklet...  
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 08:27:53 PM by bgas » Logged

Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2010, 10:08:15 PM »

Here's the only known (to my knowledge) phone conversation between a couple of the Beatles and Brian Wilson. It sounds like Jack Wagner conducting the interview.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VgutMOXygg

This is the same audio clip that's found on the link in my original post for this thread.  But, interestingly, this one is a split second longer, with Jack Wagner starting to say "Well", so this YouTube clip is not sourced from from the link I referenced, but from something at least a little longer, and perhaps the entire phone conversation.

Reading the comments on the YouTube clip that Mikie provided, I see that it's not John and George, as I had initially thought, but rather Paul and John.  And yeah, that's definitely the voice of Jack Wagner, who was the voice of Disneyland thru the early 90's, and Jack the Malt Shop guy for anyone old enough (as I am!) to remember The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet (with Pop, Mom, Dave, and Rick Nelson).
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2010, 10:13:46 PM »

As bgas says, it definitely appears legit, especially with the Rockaway Records involvement in the grading.  And the seller was offering MP3 copies to interested parties, so the audio has gotta be floating around somewhere, especially with Beatles collectors.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2010, 10:32:05 PM »

I listened to that YouTube clip about 20 times tonight. When I first heard this last year, I figured it was John and Paul talking to Brian and Wagner. But I'm not positively sure it's not George. After reading all the comments below the clip, I started to think it was John and George. I think it might be John and Paul, but it sure sounds a lot like George in there!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 10:33:09 PM by Mikie » Logged

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2010, 11:02:31 PM »

AGD - when you said "memory is cloudy but I think the opinion was it's not entirely kosher" were you referring to the existence of the audio, or the legitimacy of the acetate containing the audio being a one of a kind collectible from 1964?

All I recall is hearing about it back in the day and there being some question about its legitimacy. Never heard about it since until now. Damn, I wish my memory was better...

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2010, 03:43:33 AM »

Paul then John

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx