gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680856 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 06:15:45 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sex Pistols to R&R Hall of Fame: Up yours, we're not coming.  (Read 10174 times)
Chris D.
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2006, 06:13:23 PM »

It would matter if they hadn't done a "Take the money and run" world tour reunion. Or if Lydon showed one pint of sense of humour. He must always be ... in charge. He's boring.

And they admitted from that start that that tour was what it was.  I think it was so Lydon could get money to put together his own studio to do the music he really wanted.  Boo hoo.

Maybe Lydon and co have taken their cue from Bob Dylan.  Last year Dylan was inducted into the UK RnR Hall of Fame except he wasn't there at the ceremony because he was performing live that night at a UK venue!  As I understand it, the organisers wanted to do a live link up to the concert where Dylan would receive his 'induction' or whatever, a standard sort of thing with these type of ceremonies.  But Bobby wasn't having any of it.  In the event Woody Harrelson (?!) accepted the induction on Dylan's behalf.  A bland statement was put out by Dylan's organisation afterwards saying how very honoured he was etc etc.  I think the organisers were pretty dismayed by Dylan's non-co-operation, what with him actually being in UK at the time.   

And both of them got the idea from Steely Dan.
Chris D.
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2006, 06:13:46 PM »

The "subversive" thing would be to pretend that the Hall doesn't even exist.
Chris D.
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2006, 06:47:40 PM »

Jon, have you seen  the letter? It's kinda scary, looks like one of those Zodiac Killer or Son of Sam letters. When I transcribed it, I corrected some bad spelling and punctuation. I'm a lilttle surprised to see someone as intelligent as Lydon could use a little summer school.

Read about his history with illness and school.  Steve Jones was actually illiterate in 1975.
Chance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2006, 08:53:35 PM »

Quote from: aeijtzsche
Who will be talking about the Pistol's snub in a decade or so?
Oh, I think anyone who's still talking about the Pistols and/or the Hall, which should be plenty. Think about it, since it's inception, alot of people have expressed the opinion that a rock hall of fame is a bizarre notion, a way to institutionalize and legitimize teenage rebellion, anger, lust, etc. Domesticating a lion. Everyone talks, but the Pistols were the first to actually reject it. Until now, everybody has wanted to get in, every year the inductees get a front page headline in the music press. When McCartney got in as a solo, his daughter wore a shirt proclaiming, "It's about f*ing time" or something to that effect. The Pistols are the first to openly backhand the whole thing. I think this is a moment that will have some resonance throughout the coming years. It's not as jarring as if it had come out of nowhere and taken everybody by surprise, but it's still significant.

And about the reunion tour, I have no problem with it. I thiink it was a dream come true, and it would have truly sucked if they all went to their graves having never played before all the people that love their music and never had a chance in hell to see them in their heyday. At the start of the tour, Lydon commented that as soon as something is held up as a sacred cow, not to be tamepered with, to remain perfectly preserved behind glass in a museum, he gets the urge to destroy it. The Pistols of all people shouldn't be some precious icon to be protected and worshipped, let 'em get out there on the boards and blast a crowd to the back wall. You'd rather go see Matlock solo and imagine what it was like? Listen to John's exuberance on the live CD, "Finsbury Park never looked so f*cking good!" They finally got a chance to claim what was owed them; some money for their trouble and the sound of a huge audience that appreciated them. It was a good deal.
zelilgirlI1cenu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2006, 02:50:09 AM »

Like Michael Moore, the job of people like Lydon is not to solve the world's issues, but to point to them asclearly as their mind will let them.

I hope you're being sarcastic. Michael Moore.... BAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!

She's not being sarcastic. Agree or disagree with the guy, he definitely raises some interesting issues.

Indeed that was my point.

Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité
wind chime
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2006, 03:16:39 AM »

If they wont induct YES, Genesis, Rush or the Guess Who, then the Pistols will have to wait!!!

Watcher of the skies...watcher of all...
Sir Rob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2006, 04:52:37 AM »

Yet another reason why Mike Love is a true punk rock icon.

Took the words out of my mouth.

See, we're still talking about that to this day.  Who will be talking about the Pistol's snub in a decade or so?

Just because we're still talking about something - does that make it good?

In history, we painted pictures grim.  The devil knows we might feel that way again.
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2006, 06:45:24 AM »

It would matter if they hadn't done a "Take the money and run" world tour reunion. Or if Lydon showed one pint of sense of humour. He must always be ... in charge. He's boring.

And they admitted from that start that that tour was what it was.  I think it was so Lydon could get money to put together his own studio to do the music he really wanted.  Boo hoo.

They delivered the goods and cashed the money, more power to them. Only some dork who still believes in punk would criticize them for doing the reunion tour.

What I was talking about was Lydon's attitude during that tour. After all those years when he could bragg to the press how he was always ahead of the pack, he was being predictable and cashing in. FINE. Could he drop the act? HELL NO. What does the humourless prick do? Anytime a journalist mentioned "sell out" he would tell him to "f*** off" and walk away.

MOST POMPOUS HUMOURLESS PRICK EVER.

And now this "statement" as if we're still in '76 and they're shocking the establishment. YAWN. Give me Mike's speech anytime.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx