gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 07:15:32 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Do You Still Listen to the Old Classics?  (Read 7613 times)
halblaineisgood
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2015, 03:22:28 PM »

I have been on a real music binge lately and I am finding a bit of a pattern: whenever I get to the old, established, dinosaur acts there is something going on: I will not listen to their most popular songs, the ones that are on the perennial "best songs ever" lists. Not only that, I am finding that I am not that fond of them anymore. Perhaps it's also the fact that they've been overplayed.

I will give a few examples: with The Who, I can trot out "You Better You Bet," "Love Reign O'er Me" and "Behind Blue Eyes" BUT NOT "Magic Bus" or "Won't Get Fooled Again" or "My Generation." I'm just bored. With The Stones, I never play "Satisfaction" or "Jumpin' Jack Flash," thankfully I can still listen to "Brown Sugar." With The Bee Gees, it's never "Stayin' Alive," "New York Mining Disaster 1941" or "Jive Talkin'." NEVER play me "American Pie" again.

Do you experience this phenomenon, and can you share examples?
It's so sad when good love goes bad. I'm cutting myself off from Cadence. It just doesn't do it to me on demand. Where formerly i would have gone for my fix of poignant tunefulness --I'll do my"Crying In The Rain" .

Satisfaction? I can dig. Just no remasters, please.
 I don't want to hear Jack 's piano and the mysteries of the guitar weave revealed.  I only want to feel them.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 03:28:41 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2015, 03:54:23 AM »

Seems there's a substantial grey area between what is a classic album and what isn't. Is Prince's Lovesexy a classic album? And what about Freddie and the Dreamers' eponymous debut? And Steely Dan's Two Against Nature? All most confusing...   

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2015, 08:59:25 AM »

I don't want to hear Jack 's piano and the mysteries of the guitar weave revealed.  I only want to feel them.

Wise words indeed.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
Beachlad
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2015, 11:40:04 PM »

I love Dion I think he is hugely underrated and very versatile.   I go through my doo wop stages and early 60's stuff, Elvis early Conway not a fan of very much British invasion stuff the twang is off putting.  <though I do lile the DC 5>
KDS
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2015, 05:54:58 AM »

I love Dion I think he is hugely underrated and very versatile.   I go through my doo wop stages and early 60's stuff, Elvis early Conway not a fan of very much British invasion stuff the twang is off putting.  <though I do lile the DC 5>

Styx was another band that I kinda got burnt out on. 

Just yesterday, I saw an episode of Ash vs Evil Dead that featured their song Renegade, and it sounded AMAZING!!  Well definitely be listening to some Styx after I get out of Christmas music mode. 
jeffh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2015, 04:55:07 PM »

It doesn't get any more classic than Dion. I love listening to him.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2015, 01:17:09 AM »

not a fan of very much British invasion stuff the twang is off putting. 

I have long pondered this remark (though I'm sure you're right!). Does "twang" refer to their accents or to the sound of their guitars? Smokin

Beachlad
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2015, 10:58:19 PM »

Their voices not so much as a Country twang it is still a twang none the less.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2015, 09:48:58 AM »

According to Seligmans research on happiness, the key to enjoyment of your favorite things is to learn how frequently or infrequently you can experience these things for maximum enjoyment.    He used the example of your favorite Springstein song.  every week or every three months?    since reading this and paying attention to my listening habits,   I now catch myself hitting the skip button more often and realize it is time to give certain music a rest.    sure enough, after 3 months of not hearing much of the Beach Boys or Grateful Dead, I find them quite satisfying.    also, listening on headphones occasionally juices up the listening experience
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx