gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680770 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 09:54:54 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Do You Still Listen to the Old Classics?  (Read 7681 times)
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 06, 2010, 05:57:08 PM »

I have been on a real music binge lately and I am finding a bit of a pattern: whenever I get to the old, established, dinosaur acts there is something going on: I will not listen to their most popular songs, the ones that are on the perennial "best songs ever" lists. Not only that, I am finding that I am not that fond of them anymore. Perhaps it's also the fact that they've been overplayed.

I will give a few examples: with The Who, I can trot out "You Better You Bet," "Love Reign O'er Me" and "Behind Blue Eyes" BUT NOT "Magic Bus" or "Won't Get Fooled Again" or "My Generation." I'm just bored. With The Stones, I never play "Satisfaction" or "Jumpin' Jack Flash," thankfully I can still listen to "Brown Sugar." With The Bee Gees, it's never "Stayin' Alive," "New York Mining Disaster 1941" or "Jive Talkin'." NEVER play me "American Pie" again.

Do you experience this phenomenon, and can you share examples?

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 06:22:13 PM »

It comes and goes, but most of the time I don't even listen to classic albums, much less the biggest hits. The albums I've loved the longest--Beatles, the entire Hendrix, Queen, and Zeppelin catalogues, certain Paul Simon, U2, Radiohead, Prince, Zappa, Beefheart or Beach Boys, etc.--I almost never play. Instead I play my "second tier" artists or albums, or explore new and new-to-me material. Every now and again I will, and even in those overplayed gems, I find great, great pleasure (despite finding myself remembering, feeling, singing, anticipating every last nuance of every last part, so ingrained are they by now). But yes, for me, "Stairway to Heaven" once every five or six years is more than enough these days.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 06:53:58 PM »

Luther, you like U2!?  C'mon man! Just when I thought I had you pegged...

I definitely always skip Help Me R(h)onda and Barbara Ann.
I find all of Neil Young's Harvest hard to listen to (compared to Zuma or On the Beach)
Don't care if I ever hear a Beatles song again, and I only listen to Bobby D. from Blood On the Tracks forward these days.
so, yeah, I tend to skip the 'classics'.

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 03:50:43 AM »

...interesting question. Perhaps only the most 'difficult' classical music can last a lifetime in bringing new perspectives, and surprises. Bach's '48', and the symphonies of Shostakovich... Ives, Beethoven... and for me, the BBs finest work, and John Fahey fall into this category. 'Surf's Up' never fails to amaze me, and that after 37 years of knowing it.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 10:30:05 AM »

I tend to ration the listening to my favorite bands, but I don't think a year  passes where I don't play the three B's in music, Beach Boys, Beatles, and Byrds. I'm really afraid that they might grow stale if I overplay them. I never listen to radio, but I sometimes surf the music tv channels for new tunes. Like Katy Perry's no.1 smash, "California Gurls".  Smiley
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 11:17:23 AM »

I do have periods when I abstain from listening to the Beach Boys if not I would get sick to death of them. However I broke out Sunflower last night for the first time in many months and was surprised to find lots of nice little touches in it that I had totally forgotten about. Nothing beats finding or rediscovering something new in familiar music.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 01:49:07 AM by mikes beard » Logged

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 02:44:25 PM »

You'll note I said "certain." But yeah, when The Joshua Tree came out, I was maybe 11 or 12, and I thought it was fantastic. I still do. It's like Graceland, a real icon of that era that was both hugely popular--and I'm not sure how old you are (and thus whether you remember), but those few years were really owned by The Joshua Tree. Huge hit.--and musically interesting. It's less so now, partly because the production has dated and partly because they did that same thing a few million more times, other bands copied them, bands copied those bands, and now we have fucking Coldplay. But yeah, late '80s U2 were fine by me. Hell, any '80s U2 is OK by me, though I wouldn't call myself a huge fan in general.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2010, 03:17:00 PM »

What about Achtung Baby, Luther? Do ya like that?

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2010, 03:40:30 PM »

You'll note I said "certain." But yeah, when The Joshua Tree came out, I was maybe 11 or 12, and I thought it was fantastic. I still do. It's like Graceland, a real icon of that era that was both hugely popular--and I'm not sure how old you are (and thus whether you remember), but those few years were really owned by The Joshua Tree. Huge hit.--and musically interesting. It's less so now, partly because the production has dated and partly because they did that same thing a few million more times, other bands copied them, bands copied those bands, and now we have friggin' Coldplay. But yeah, late '80s U2 were fine by me. Hell, any '80s U2 is OK by me, though I wouldn't call myself a huge fan in general.
Not to get too off-topic, but yeah, I was 14 or so when J-Tree came out and I remember it was that and the REM album from that time (Document, I think, or maybe Green) that were the cool 'college rock' albums of the day. For some reason the cool kids liked one or the other,never both,  and though I wasn't cool I decided to side with the REM crowd. They too went the way of over-doing a good thing, and like a lot of artists from the early 80's became completely un-moored from any foundation during the ghastly 90's.
Anway....

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2010, 04:42:02 PM »

What about Achtung Baby, Luther? Do ya like that?
No, not really. It had a few moments I didn't mind, but I wasn't as big a fan of it or anything thereafter.

markcharles75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2010, 07:35:48 AM »

Cannot believe someone brought this up because I was thinking of this the other day also.  My favorite album of all time: Pet Sounds.  But I rarely play it. I break it out from time to time but never listen to it on a regular basis.  Still, it is my favorite piece of music.   

I am also sick and bored of the classics.  Don't listen to them.  I stuck on some Beatles the other day and had to stop.  Flipped through Pepper, Abbey and just had to stop.  The thrill was gone.  That being said, I will never forget hearing and absorbing those albums for the first time.  They were spectacular  and continue to have a major influence on my music today. 

I consider the Beach Boys as my private personal hobby.   I don't even try to convince anyone: they are mine to relish in.  The Beach Boys catalogue (Boots, rarities, solos included) is huge.  There is always some part of their history to explore and seek out/study.  So it is hard to get sick of it ALL.  With that being said, I have taken a major break from Beach Boys music for the past 8 months or so.  Funny, I still visit this board to get all the news.

So yeah, sick of the classics, always trying to find my next musical fix.

"Watch the balloon you buy just to let fly away..."
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2010, 09:58:26 PM »

that's why i hate popular radio.

I think we don't listen to them as much because we listened to them for years. And for me, like the Beach Boys, I'm always promoting lesser known material, as I do for other bands too

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2010, 04:14:25 PM »

It's why I love radio. Not classics radio, but new music radio. We're lucky where I live to have a public radio station that plays a lot of what I consider to be interesting new music intermingled with interesting older music with nary a "classic rawk hit" to be found, so it's a great opportunity to keep an ear open for new-to-me music. It's also why it gets old to hear "I hate new music except so-and-so: they sound just like [beatles/beach boys/byrds/etc.]!!!" The greats won't be beaten at what made them great, and even perfection at whatever that was just makes a perfect karaoke band. New stuff is always happening. It's not all good and far less is great, but it keeps coming. After the fact--years after--it's always obvious how much quality has come and gone.

Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2010, 07:41:07 PM »

Yes -- absolutely.  It's boredom, overplayedness and what I call "ownership."  In other words, if there's too many people that have been there -- and I myself have every detail absorbed -- it's over for me.

Thankfully this seems to only happen to the obvious tracks...the big hits.  I do have a fear that I'll kill some of my most favorite, life-affirming music.  Sinatra's Capitol years...I love them...and what would I do with out them?  So with that, as with any wonderfully effective chemical...you must USE IT WISELY.

That goes for about everything.  Ride it hard when you need it.  Play it!  But always treat it like a lady. -- whatever the fxck that means!   LOL
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 07:44:32 PM by Bean Bag » Logged

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2015, 12:50:40 PM »

Not sure what an Old Classic is, but yesterday I listened to Stephen Stills' debut solo album and a few days earlier, Harvest----two flawless albums. I know David Crosby's stunning If Only I Could Remember My Name back to front, so I'll skip that. Next up (and completing CSNY) will be Nash's Songs for Beginners. "I Used To Be A King" is worth the price of admission alone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cvoq8ybE7o

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2015, 09:23:40 PM »

This probably sounds sacrilegious, but I'm resistant to listening to the Eagles or Steve Miller Band because they are SO so so overplayed on the oldies station around here, as well as the Pandora station that's at work. If I hear "Hotel California" ever again...

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2015, 09:30:44 PM »

It comes and goes, but most of the time I don't even listen to classic albums, much less the biggest hits. The albums I've loved the longest--Beatles, the entire Hendrix, Queen, and Zeppelin catalogues, certain Paul Simon, U2, Radiohead, Prince, Zappa, Beefheart or Beach Boys, etc.--I almost never play. Instead I play my "second tier" artists or albums, or explore new and new-to-me material.
I'm kind of like this, only with more of I mostly listen to "second tier" overall in the first place. I'm familiar with the classics but I honestly haven't really gotten into Led Zep, Pink Floyd, or even the Beatles as much as most other music-lovers have.
I guess I'm more into bands like America, Bread, Chicago, Simon and Garfunkel... not as overplayed on the radio.

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2015, 09:31:51 PM »

This probably sounds sacrilegious, but I'm resistant to listening to the Eagles or Steve Miller Band because they are SO so so overplayed on the oldies station around here, as well as the Pandora station that's at work. If I hear "Hotel California" ever again...
I'm with you. Both bands have 2 of the worst singers ever. They - Miller & Henley - even sound similar.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2015, 04:48:31 AM »

Steve Miller is not just "Fly Like An Eagle" and "The Joker". Give his stupendous double LP Anthology a listen some time.

As for "Stairway", it suffers from being played out of context. It's perfectly placed as the last track on side one of Led Zep IV.

I never listen to pop/rock radio----except the tradition in our (Dutch) household that is the Top 2000 (between Xmas and New Year's Eve). Not for the faint of heart...

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
KDS
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2015, 05:13:45 AM »

Since I got away from listening to FM radio, I've found that I can go back to a lot of overplayed songs (ie. Won't Get Fooled Again, Hotel California, Stairway to Heaven, etc) and really enjoy them again.

As for Steve Miller, my favorite song of his is NEVER played - Serenade. 
SBonilla
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2015, 07:18:01 AM »

Nope.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2015, 08:47:08 PM »

Steve Miller is not just "Fly Like An Eagle" and "The Joker". Give his stupendous double LP Anthology a listen some time.
Usually, if I don't like the vocals, that's the end. I stop checking their discography, don't mind the (excellent) arr., playing skills etc.

What do you mean by "Not for the faint of heart"? Is it bad music?

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2015, 05:21:58 AM »

What do you mean by "Not for the faint of heart"? Is it bad music?

Bad either in the sense of utterly overfamiliar, not my taste in music or just plain bad, lol----to my ears, at least.
There are good things too but the bad/boring/banal stuff outweighs them pretty heavily (all very subjective, of course).

Here is this year's list (odd that it gets published ahead of time):   

http://www.nporadio2.nl/top2000

Outtasight!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2015, 06:03:08 AM »

Just recently got the Beatles mono box so the old classics are on heavy rotation.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2015, 02:02:17 PM »

It comes and goes, but most of the time I don't even listen to classic albums, much less the biggest hits. The albums I've loved the longest--Beatles, the entire Hendrix, Queen, and Zeppelin catalogues, certain Paul Simon, U2, Radiohead, Prince, Zappa, Beefheart or Beach Boys, etc.--I almost never play. Instead I play my "second tier" artists or albums, or explore new and new-to-me material.
I'm kind of like this, only with more of I mostly listen to "second tier" overall in the first place. I'm familiar with the classics but I honestly haven't really gotten into Led Zep, Pink Floyd, or even the Beatles as much as most other music-lovers have.
I guess I'm more into bands like America, Bread, Chicago, Simon and Garfunkel... not as overplayed on the radio.
Exactly. I don't ever need to buy a Floyd or Zep cd because everytime I am in the car, I hear them on the radio. The Beatles, on the other hand, are a group I can never hear too often. But my tastes in music do run more to the softer sounds of Bread, America, S&G, Chicago...good choices. And I always love going back to the founding fathers of rock - Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Elvis, all the greats from the 50's. Still some of the most exciting music ever made.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx