gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680747 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 02:14:37 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love's Nasal Domination Entrance to "Be True To Your School"  (Read 11337 times)
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2010, 12:11:51 PM »

speaking of Mike/Bruce arrangements over the years, I just feel sometimes they need updating.
Example: It's almost the same concept with the 'Be True' intro; the why do fools intro. Sure, it's good and cool, but I saw them do it back in 2002, and they still do it.  Now I know I'm gonna get yelled at because of the 'giving people what they want' argument we all experienced earlier, but to me, I feel like a setlist needs to be updated or have new ideas/jokes/arrangements.

That's why Brian's shows are better, each year, the setlist is a bit different.
But this all goes back to being an artist and growing...it sets the stage for a repeated history: Mike wants the basic hit recording (name any year in BB history) vs. Brian wants to grow and do different/new things...it's almost the same thing with their concerts, in my humble opinion.

That *would* have been true about eight years ago. Compare and contrast: http://members.tripod.com/~fun_fun_fun/6-28-08.html http://members.tripod.com/~fun_fun_fun/4-12-08.html

Those are the most recent times I saw Brian and Mike's respective bands. Brian's set is a greatest hits list, almost all of which had been in his set for nearly ten years at that point, and with only one song even from the album he was supposedly promoting. Mike's, on the other hand, is half as long again and contains stuff like Forever, All This Is That, Til I Die, Good Timin', Here Today, You Still Believe In Me...

Brian's shows *in 2002* were fantastic as far as setlists went, but every time he's toured since then the sets have grown closer and closer to the touring jukebox formula (apart from the shows where he performs an entire album - and in those the first halves are just run-throughs of the hits). These days Mike's band is actually *more* likely to do something new and exciting, though if you go and see either you're most likely to get a thirty-song hits run-through...

Do Mike and Bruce perform those lesser known here in the states? or is that in the UK?
I know in the past that here in the States, we'd only get the GH stuff.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2010, 02:09:39 PM »

Mike adds new old songs and rotates things a bit but the jokes and banter are stale....as seldom as I have seen them (Mikes BB Band) the same lines and jokes and gags.........over and over ....how long has he been doing that long note on his knee, and standing back up with the bones creaking and popping....?

He is not alone.  I have seen John Prine do the happy enchilada joke at least a half dozen times.

I guess these guys are simply not stand up comedy types but do this to get a breather and stretch the show a bit.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2010, 02:10:12 AM »

Mike should be more controversial: "You know what's funny? Way back in 1966, you now, when everyone was losing their ego and freakin' out about - what was it? Brown acid, yeah, the brown acid. Don't take the brown acid, man. (Mike waves his hands). Seriously, guys, don't.

(Mike waits for the crowd to laugh.) Haha.

Um,  so way back in 1966, Brian was recording this weird little album psychedelic record called Smile... you guys know Smile, right?

(Mike looks to the crowd. A few cheer.)

No? Most of you never heard of it? Hmm... that's surprising. I guess it was a long time ago.

Well, anyway - to get back on track here - when I first heard Brian's Smile, you know what happened? I frowned. That's right, I frowned. So, I told Brian, I told him... 'um, hey, Brian? Are you sure this isn't a recording of Frown and not Smile?'

And you know what he did? He threw a tomato at me. He never did put out Smile, but a couple months later we released 'Heroes and Villains'. It debuted at, I think, 40, and then dropped to 200 the next week. It cost about $100,000 or something like that and killed our career. Now we're going to play it for you."
Stegibo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2011, 11:32:15 AM »

No WHEEEEEEEEEEEN anymore?! Shocked

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSP6KpAMCvA

Are you ready for some Fun Fun Fun?!
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2011, 11:29:22 PM »

I prefer the Knebworth version of this song with the autotune. UWEEDLEIIUIN SOOMMMDLNMEE LOUNNNDDD BRANNNGGERRRR TRIII TO PUT YAOUO DOOAODLNWNNWN AND SAYS HIS SCHOOL IS GREETDLAOOTKAOKTTTT I TELLHIMRIGHTAWAYNOW WAHTS A MATTER BUDDY AINT YOU HRRRD UMADDDDAD SKOODOODOOO. ITS NUMBER ONE IN THE STAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIN

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2011, 11:43:46 PM »

I prefer the Knebworth version of this song with the autotune. UWEEDLEIIUIN SOOMMMDLNMEE LOUNNNDDD BRANNNGGERRRR TRIII TO PUT YAOUO DOOAODLNWNNWN AND SAYS HIS SCHOOL IS GREETDLAOOTKAOKTTTT I TELLHIMRIGHTAWAYNOW WAHTS A MATTER BUDDY AINT YOU HRRRD UMADDDDAD SKOODOODOOO. ITS NUMBER ONE IN THE STAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIN

LOL

I love watching the videos from that concert on teh Youtoobz but I pretty much hate that song so I've never watched it before. How did somebody not notice how terrible that sounds?

No mas, por favor.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx