gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681101 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 23, 2024, 05:51:32 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: David Marks new album  (Read 5756 times)
Paulos
« on: September 04, 2010, 05:52:01 AM »

Wasn't David's new album, The Circle Continues supposed to have been released by now? There is nothing about it on his site, Jon, Carrie can you help?
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 07:23:35 AM »

Wasn't David's new album, The Circle Continues supposed to have been released by now? There is nothing about it on his site, Jon, Carrie can you help?

Check the Honoured Guests thread for the latest from Carrie...

“We live in divisive times.”
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 09:31:07 AM »

I know its getting close. I've heard a couple of the tracks and they are great and uniquely David.
Jason
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 10:38:46 AM »

I think it should be noted...David, by far, has the best solo music coming around these days in the Beach Boys world. And Al and Brian's new stuff is by no means bad, either. Count me in as excited for David's new album.
Paulos
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 10:50:38 AM »

I should have done that in the first place!

So we should be seeing this released soon, I'm guessing it will be available from Dave's site, amazon etc? I still want to get my hands on I Think About You Often but have been completely unable to find it anywhere online (excepting downloads and I want the CD!).
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 01:44:28 PM »

Add me to the list of being excited for this lp. I really enjoyed the stuff he's put out.

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Jason
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2010, 01:48:11 PM »

So we should be seeing this released soon, I'm guessing it will be available from Dave's site, amazon etc? I still want to get my hands on I Think About You Often but have been completely unable to find it anywhere online (excepting downloads and I want the CD!).

A most bitter irony...people went apeshit when they found out that A Postcard From California was either download only or CD-on-demand. But did these same folks run out and buy David's CDs on Amazon, when they're also CDRs?

By no means am I criticizing the method of distribution on Al or David's part...just pointing out a potential bit of hypocrisy.
Paulos
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2010, 02:43:30 PM »

I'm fine with CDR's and I've got the CD-on-demand version of A Postcard From California and I'm more than happy with it as I like having a physical copy . You are probably right about the hypocrisy thing of people being annoyed at Al but not at David but as I've learnt over these past few years, Beach Boys fans can be very weird!

P.S. Does anyone have a spare copy of I Think About You Often that they would be willing to part with for an appropriate fee? PM me if so.
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2010, 03:02:08 PM »

Paulos, I don't know where you're located, but check out cdon.eu. I got mine from their Swedish site. It's currently €23,95, but hey, it's a nice album.  Smiley

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
Paulos
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2010, 03:45:11 PM »

Thanks Fall Breaks, may just order me a copy tomorrow!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2010, 06:29:32 PM »

I'm fine with CDR's and I've got the CD-on-demand version of A Postcard From California and I'm more than happy with it as I like having a physical copy . You are probably right about the hypocrisy thing of people being annoyed at Al but not at David but as I've learnt over these past few years, Beach Boys fans can be very weird!

P.S. Does anyone have a spare copy of I Think About You Often that they would be willing to part with for an appropriate fee? PM me if so.

I don't understand the reasoning, behind this being unavailable; maybe I don't totally comprehend the costs involved, but when Al, or David ( or anyone)are, presumably, able to make their own CDs, why don't they keep all of their releases available on CD,so that  people can buy them? Is there some problem in making an extra 25,50,100 CDs and keeping them for people that don't initially hear about the release and then want them?  It just seems like it would
be so easy to have them made at the time, and not really cost them much.
Please: someone enlighten me.   

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
summerinparadise.flac
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2010, 09:42:42 PM »

I don't understand the reasoning, behind this being unavailable; maybe I don't totally comprehend the costs involved, but when Al, or David ( or anyone)are, presumably, able to make their own CDs, why don't they keep all of their releases available on CD,so that  people can buy them? Is there some problem in making an extra 25,50,100 CDs and keeping them for people that don't initially hear about the release and then want them?  It just seems like it would
be so easy to have them made at the time, and not really cost them much.
Please: someone enlighten me.   
[/quote

To Get them profesionally pressed can be quite expensive. I was going to get some EP's pressed and it would cost me a couple hundred for 100.

"I'll haunt you like a ghost"
-Brian Wilson, the Ruby song from Party.

Please support the Beach Boys without being a rude dude or grumpy gus.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2010, 02:19:02 AM »

"I Think About You Often" appears to be available from David's own site (http://www.davidleemarks.com/shop.htm) -  and is signed, apparently.  Have just placed my order!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 02:21:12 AM by Wee Helper » Logged

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2010, 06:27:26 AM »

"I Think About You Often" appears to be available from David's own site (http://www.davidleemarks.com/shop.htm) -  and is signed, apparently.  Have just placed my order!

I saw that there, but I was thinking that would have been the first place to check. Let us know if your order goes thru; I'll get one too! 

For anyone that might be looking to buy a copy of Jon's book on Dave, I notice that someone is  selling the copy they read on Ebay ( I'm presuming it's unavailable elsewhere) 
http://cgi.ebay.com/David-Marks-Lost-Beach-Boy-HC-book-new-/290472236709

Paulos
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2010, 06:34:49 AM »

I tried to order ITAYO a few months ago of Dave's site but a week after I paid for it I got an email saying it wasn't available, my money was refunded and haven't tried since, as with Bgas please let us know if the order goes through.
Carrie Marks
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2010, 11:12:05 PM »

The Circle Continues is basically finished, but it still needs to be mastered and manufactured so copies won't be available for at least another month or two...but I will announce it here as soon as I have an official release date.  In the meantime, there are 3 songs (A Day Like No Other, These 50 States &  The Circle Continues) now posted  here for anyone who wants a little preview http://www.reverbnation.com/#/davidmarks

As for why there are no longer copies of I Think About You Often available, well....the simplest answer is that they've sold out of their first 2 runs and there is a certain law of diminishing returns when you start getting into multiple pressings and we just don't have the physical space to store boxes of CDs that aren't going to move quickly.  However, if more than a handful of people would like to place an order for one, I would be happy to get a short run printed up when I place the order for the new CD.  Otherwise, it is available on iTunes.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2010, 12:56:58 AM »

Yup,

Just had a full refund via PayPal for the following items:

I Think About You Often
The Lost Years
Work Tapes

Must be costing someone somewhere something to process all these orders and refunds!

Carrie Marks
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2010, 02:19:58 AM »

Must be costing someone somewhere something to process all these orders and refunds!

I'm not sure its THAT many refunds...but none the less, I am sorry you are disappointed your order was refunded.  The Marksmen CD is still available and there is one (the very last) copy of The Lost Years still available on CD Baby.  
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 02:22:29 AM by Carrie Marks » Logged
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2010, 02:30:47 AM »

Thanks Carrie for the heads-up -  but someone (probably a fellow Smileyboarder!) beat me to it!

Look forward to re-availability whenever possible - maybe next year when there's a huge 50th anniversary boom in interest in all things Beach Boys and related!

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2010, 05:31:28 AM »

As for why there are no longer copies of I Think About You Often available, well....the simplest answer is that they've sold out of their first 2 runs and there is a certain law of diminishing returns when you start getting into multiple pressings and we just don't have the physical space to store boxes of CDs that aren't going to move quickly.  However, if more than a handful of people would like to place an order for one, I would be happy to get a short run printed up when I place the order for the new CD.  Otherwise, it is available on iTunes.

I've got room. You can store them at my house, it'll be an honor to do that for Dave. We can work out the logistics of shipping them.

GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2010, 09:45:15 AM »

I'm getting the 3-CD-r The Lost Years next month. Looking forward to it!  Smiley
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2010, 12:11:46 PM »

It costs about $1,000 to print 200 albums from Diskfaktory.

That's a $5 an album cost to the artist, just up front.  Then subtract the retailer cut, and tax.  More for artwork, mastering, other stuff in the first release. (Mastering might cost  $1000-$2000)

These are different times. Not like when Capitol would distribute and promote.
 It makes more sense to seek alternative solutions for distribution.

We all love our BB CDs but Carrie, David and Al have to look at the bottom line these days.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2010, 01:13:52 PM »

Is it just me or are others noticing;

New albums by Brian, Al, David, Rerelease of CW, ..............

This strikes me as what is happening and what we are getting for the 50th.   A stream of new and re releases.

But so far, nothing all inclusive under the flag of The Beach Boys.
summerinparadise.flac
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2010, 01:39:16 PM »

The new Beach Boys album will be a complitation of solo tracks with guest vocals from one another. Get ready for Still Still Cruisin in 2011.

"I'll haunt you like a ghost"
-Brian Wilson, the Ruby song from Party.

Please support the Beach Boys without being a rude dude or grumpy gus.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2010, 03:51:08 PM »

The new Beach Boys album will be a complitation of solo tracks with guest vocals from one another. Get ready for Still Still Cruisin in 2011.

I had the same idea (like a lot of us) back in 2007 - Called it "Solo Sampler"

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,4721.0.html

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx