gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:35:05 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: VDP Presents... Mighty Sparrow/Esso Trinidad Steelband  (Read 2137 times)
willy
Smiley Smile Associate

Hooga hagga hooga!

View Profile WWW
« on: September 04, 2010, 04:31:43 AM »

Any love for these? I've been a huge follower of Van Dyke for 25 years or so and was *thrilled* Cool Guy by these recent releases on his own Bananastan label. Wonder what might be next! VDP presents Kathy Dalton's 'Boogie Bands and One Night Stands' (featuring VDP, Carl Wilson, et al) maybe?

Anyone who loves Discover America and Clang of the Yankee Reaper... these above albums are definitely companions to those two. Mighty Sparrow's Hot and Sweet must rank as the finest example of Calypso out there, Sparrow Dead, Memories, Mr Walker, all of it! Same sort of lovely *tight* band feel as found on much of VDP's work. The Esso album too is truly astonishing, the covers of the Kinks' Apeman, the Jacksons' I Want you Back, Sparrow's Erasmus B. Black, VDP's own Come to The Sunshine.

This is stuff that belongs in every home! Crank up the stereo and let the sun shine in... "excitement evermore!"

I bumped my head, the sky turned red, the aardvark said "Banana!"
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 04:42:21 AM »

Any love for these? I've been a huge follower of Van Dyke for 25 years or so and was *thrilled* Cool Guy by these recent releases on his own Bananastan label. Wonder what might be next! VDP presents Kathy Dalton's 'Boogie Bands and One Night Stands' (featuring VDP, Carl Wilson, et al) maybe?

Anyone who loves Discover America and Clang of the Yankee Reaper... these above albums are definitely companions to those two. Mighty Sparrow's Hot and Sweet must rank as the finest example of Calypso out there, Sparrow Dead, Memories, Mr Walker, all of it! Same sort of lovely *tight* band feel as found on much of VDP's work. The Esso album too is truly astonishing, the covers of the Kinks' Apeman, the Jacksons' I Want you Back, Sparrow's Erasmus B. Black, VDP's own Come to The Sunshine.

This is stuff that belongs in every home! Crank up the stereo and let the sun shine in... "excitement evermore!"

Thanks for reminding, willy. I'll get it soonish.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 05:34:04 AM »

Yes, good to have the recommendation. I've dithered about buying these in the past but will now prioritise.

“We live in divisive times.”
willy
Smiley Smile Associate

Hooga hagga hooga!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 05:42:17 AM »

I cannot recommend these two albums enough! Just some of the most intensely *joyous* celebration-of-life music to behold!

BTW the Esso album has a bonus DVD of a documentary charting the guys throughout a tour of various parts of the USA. Some beautiful carnival 'travelogue' footage of that golden time, this will put hairs on your chest! Everybody report to the dancefloor!

dogear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 01:58:07 PM »

Esso....... non-album 45 prod by VDP: Superstar WB 7532

Has anybody heard The Trinidad Tripoli Steelband 45 Apeman (org. by the Kinks) WB 7476 (1971)? VDP produced that one too.

Watson, did you hear this?
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 02:24:45 PM »

Both these albums are great listens.......get 'em while they are around!

If it runs amuck, call the duck
exposedbrain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 04:37:49 PM »

There are 2 singles VDP was involved in that are really great that are also in a caribbean flavor: Goldie Hawn-Pitta Patta  (he's credited as musical director) and Dino Martin-Sitting in Limbo (producer). Has anyone heard the single The Andrew De La Bastide Steelband-Proud Mary single he co-produced?
willy
Smiley Smile Associate

Hooga hagga hooga!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2010, 05:53:16 PM »

Has anybody heard The Trinidad Tripoli Steelband 45 Apeman (org. by the Kinks) WB 7476 (1971)? VDP produced that one too.

That's the same as on the album no?

I would give anything to get hold of Superstar.... shame it wasn't included on the reissue. Was it the Carpenters/Rita Coolidge song?

dogear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2010, 10:07:39 AM »

That's the same as on the album no?

I would give anything to get hold of Superstar.... shame it wasn't included on the reissue. Was it the Carpenters/Rita Coolidge song?

a. probably
b. No, it's Webber/Rice's Jesus Christ Superstar b/w Singer Man (from the album)

dogear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2010, 10:10:01 AM »

There are 2 singles VDP was involved in that are really great that are also in a caribbean flavor: Goldie Hawn-Pitta Patta  (he's credited as musical director) and Dino Martin-Sitting in Limbo (producer). Has anyone heard the single The Andrew De La Bastide Steelband-Proud Mary single he co-produced?
Shame, no - I've been looking for it for years

willy
Smiley Smile Associate

Hooga hagga hooga!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2011, 02:55:24 AM »

Some more info...... http://bananastan.com/

The Esso and Sparrow CDs are now available for purchase!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 11:12:09 AM by willy » Logged

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx