gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 10:30:25 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Where to place "Let's Call The Whole Thing Off" on BWRG ?  (Read 2005 times)
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« on: September 03, 2010, 12:43:05 PM »

I want to keep the opening/closing as-is with Rhapsody, so where in the track-list should "Let's Call The Whole Thing Off" go while making iTunes playlists, or burning CDs?

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 01:08:51 PM »

Brian didn't want it on the album, so I leave it on my desktop.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 03:29:23 PM »

Roll Eyes Thud Anyone else?

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 03:56:49 PM »

I'm worse than Andrew, I'm tempted to put it in the Recycle Bin.  LOL
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 11:33:04 PM »

Roll Eyes Thud Anyone else?

Seriously... doesn't really fit, Brian sounds disinterested, the chemistry is zero and Taylor's trying too hard. If it goes anywhere, it'll end up on my BW Odds & Ends CDr.

Smilin Ed H
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 01:34:21 AM »

Taylor has one of those annoying voices where the higher notes catch in thr throat. Carole King would've been a blast with Brian on this, but Taylor's awful.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2010, 06:51:46 AM »

I have it after S'Wonderful. While I agree with AGD that Brian sounds disinterested, I do like the backing track and backing vocals. It really has that early to mid-50's pop sensibility to it that makes it fun to listen to.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2010, 12:41:13 AM »

Taylor has one of those annoying voices where the higher notes catch in thr throat. Carole King would've been a blast with Brian on this, but Taylor's awful.

Taylor has a great voice (love her solo intro they do live on Marcella).  It just doesn't work here at all and neither does Brian's for that matter.  An instrumental would have been much better.  This song is so out of place it's hard to fathom it's from the same sessions as the rest of the album.  If you told me it was a GIOMH outtake I'd believe it.   
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2010, 01:02:06 AM »

Sometimes you have to work thru bad ideas to get to the good ones. Sometimes those bad ideas become bonus tracks.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2010, 02:42:34 AM »

Just bought it from iTunes... not the best way to spend 99p, I have to say. Taylor's  backing vocals blend nicely into so much BW material but this is a shame. Not just her though, don't think there's anything redeeming about it really - the instrumental track is trite, Wilson's own vocal, as others say, disinterested.  Listened to I've Got a Crush on You straight after, and it actually diminishes that track in the similar qualities they share.

This might have been better off left in the can for 37 years, then us fan boys could have squealed over its lost brilliance when it leaked out on boot!

“We live in divisive times.”
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2010, 07:45:28 AM »

that logic is sorta lol to me.  "ugh i just listened to 'our sweet love' and it def makes me like 'god only knows' less". 

I've got a crush is possibly my favorite song on the album though.  The 30 second clip of LCTWTO was enough for me not to spend on it
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2010, 07:51:34 AM »

Just bought it from iTunes... not the best way to spend 99p, I have to say. Taylor's  backing vocals blend nicely into so much BW material but this is a shame. Not just her though, don't think there's anything redeeming about it really - the instrumental track is trite, Wilson's own vocal, as others say, disinterested.  Listened to I've Got a Crush on You straight after, and it actually diminishes that track in the similar qualities they share.

This might have been better off left in the can for 37 years, then us fan boys could have squealed over its lost brilliance when it leaked out on boot!

Call me evil, but I find it amusing that certain Blooies who were demanding Taylor had a lead vocal on the album have been awfully quiet since the bonus track entered the public domain.  Grin

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx