gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 12:18:39 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How High Will BWRG Chart in Billboard?  (Read 2664 times)
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 04, 2010, 09:40:57 PM »

BWPS missed the top 10 and TLOS just cracking the top 20. How will this latest offering do? Huh
Margarita
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 11:26:13 PM »

Who knows?  It depends on the promo.  I like what I've seen in print so far--articles in high-profile publications.  We know that Brian had dinner with a guy from Rolling Stone, so anything from a review to a feature article could be in the works.  We'll find out very soon what kind of TV promo Disney is rolling out for release week...I'm hoping for Letterman (since Dave loves Brian), Today or GMA, maybe Jimmy Kimmel (since he provides a nice space for musical guests).  It also depends on how the album is displayed in stores and if it's featured in sales circulars.
But the climate is very different now than in 2004, and even in 2008.  This week, the #50 album sold under 8000 copies.  Only the top two albums broke 100K.  The #10 album this week sold only 21K.  Most of the national music retail chains that existed in 2004 are gone now.  People go on-line to buy music, or go to independent stores that may or may not report to Soundscan.  Even the music offerings at retailers like Target and WalMart aren't what they used to be.  Digital downloads are now where it's at, but the sale only counts for Billboard if the entire album is purchased as a whole.  if you only want certain tracks, that doesn't count. 
With good promo, Brian could have a debut at a respectable place on Billboard.  But does that sort of measure even matter anymore?  It doesn't hold the same weight that it did 20, 40, or even just 5 years ago.

But she's still dancing in the night unafraid of what a dude'll do in a town full of Heroes and Villains...
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 12:11:50 AM »

BWPS missed the top 10 and TLOS just cracking the top 20. How will this latest offering do? Huh

BWPS had something like 37 years of publicity (including landmark live shows), charted at #13 but still hasn't gone gold some six years later.

TLOS had similar live shows (albeit not domestic) to boost it, charted at #21 but only sold 21,000 in the first week.

BWRG is a horse of an entirely different color. I think it'll chart respectably but, more importantly, will have legs: I see this as being a steady seller over the years.

the sale only counts for Billboard if the entire album is purchased as a whole.  if you only want certain tracks, that doesn't count. 

From what I've seen on iTunes, you can only download the whole album: not sure about amazon.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 12:15:42 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 01:25:14 AM »

I predict a debut somewhere between #50 and #68, but hope for higher than that.  Interesting about TLOS...I don't remember it charting that high...that's impressive!  I remember GIOMH spent one week on the chart at #100 (or thereabouts) and was never seen again.  From what I remember IJWMFTT and OCA didn't chart.

Just looked at Andrew's site and IJWMFTT and OCA indeed did not chart.  Neither did LATR.  WIRWFC barely made it at #200 for one week.  BW88 went to #54, and Imagination #88.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 01:41:06 AM »

Just looked at Andrew's site...

Sage decision.  Smiley

Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 06:57:09 AM »

I noticed on iTunes there is a track that concludes the album titled "Let's Call The Whole Thing Off".  Bonus track for iTunes purchase or is this one available on all releases?  I thought "Rhapsody In Blue" was the final track.

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 07:10:07 AM »

I noticed on iTunes there is a track that concludes the album titled "Let's Call The Whole Thing Off".  Bonus track for iTunes purchase or is this one available on all releases?  I thought "Rhapsody In Blue" was the final track.

Exclusive iTunes bonus. IMHO, bad idea.

Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 07:15:23 AM »

Less of a bad idea if iTunes would let you buy just the bonus track.

Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2010, 08:17:56 AM »

#1!!!  No, people aren't that smart.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2010, 08:27:26 AM »

Top 20 hopefully...

But this isn't a commerical album. How many albums like this are charting in the top 50 these days.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2010, 06:17:04 PM »

I'm just hoping it will fare better than his album, Mid Life Crisis: http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/mid-life-crisis/id352484724

Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2010, 07:34:58 PM »

Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2010, 10:40:30 PM »

I'm going to completely guestimate that it will appear at #38, then slip.  Like Andrew said though, I feel it'll be a good seller for years to come.  Albums like this don't really get dated, as long as they're still getting pressed it'll still sell steadily. 
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2010, 01:10:23 AM »

I'm just hoping it will fare better than his album, Mid Life Crisis: http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/mid-life-crisis/id352484724
Haha! What the heck is that?
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2010, 04:08:24 AM »

My guess: somewhere around #30.

I don't know if there's anything like a steady "fanbase" for Gershwin material nowadays... But unlike BWPS and TLOS, this album is sure to also reach an audience that doesn't particularly care for Brian or the Beach Boys. That's pretty cool.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2010, 11:00:37 AM »

#42 with a bullet.   Tongue

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2010, 08:05:01 PM »

Haha! What the heck is that?

It was the little-known period where Brian posed as a 42-year-old doofus with a cowboy hat.  'Twas a very interesting time indeed...

Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2010, 02:56:13 AM »

My guess: somewhere around #30.

Looks like you were the closest...it debuted at #26 and is now at #53
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2010, 03:22:34 AM »

BWPS had something like 37 years of publicity (including landmark live shows), charted at #13 but still hasn't gone gold some six years later.

TLOS had similar live shows (albeit not domestic) to boost it, charted at #21 but only sold 21,000 in the first week.

BWRG is a horse of an entirely different color. I think it'll chart respectably but, more importantly, will have legs: I see this as being a steady seller over the years.

the sale only counts for Billboard if the entire album is purchased as a whole.  if you only want certain tracks, that doesn't count. 

From what I've seen on iTunes, you can only download the whole album: not sure about amazon.

I only downloaded the bonus track from iTunes (UK site) but there's some thing wrong with it* - how does one return a download?

* It's not very good!

“We live in divisive times.”
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx