gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 05:55:31 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Who did the BB's string arrangements?  (Read 2224 times)
willy
Smiley Smile Associate

Hooga hagga hooga!

View Profile WWW
« on: September 01, 2010, 09:17:09 AM »

The more sumptuous stuff, for example Time To Get Alone, Full Sail, Nearest Faraway Place, Still I Dream Of It, Sumahama, Winds of Change, Lady Linda, etc.

Was it Bruce, Daryl Dragon, or uncredited persons brought in for whatever the song required? Don't have any liner notes at hand.

I bumped my head, the sky turned red, the aardvark said "Banana!"
BennySahuaro
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 09:23:10 AM »

The more sumptuous stuff, for example Time To Get Alone, Full Sail, Nearest Faraway Place, Still I Dream Of It, Sumahama, Winds of Change, Lady Linda, etc.

Was it Bruce, Daryl Dragon, or uncredited persons brought in for whatever the song required? Don't have any liner notes at hand.

I believe Gene Page (artist, producer and major pop/RnB arranger)  did string arrangements on 20/20 tracks. I believe Bruce mentions that, somewhere.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 10:14:39 AM »

I believe Gene Page (artist, producer and major pop/RnB arranger)  did string arrangements on 20/20 tracks. I believe Bruce mentions that, somewhere.

Liner notes said they were done by Van "Do The Hustle" McCoy...Bruce said "We talked our arrangements into his head".

Strings on Adult Child were arranged by Dick Reynolds...I believe Sid Sharp did the arrangements in the early days at United/Western.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 10:16:24 AM by Alex » Logged

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 07:30:53 PM »

Gary Griffin and Roberleigh Barnhart for MIU Album, Bob Alcivar or Harry Betts (depending on the song) for L.A. (Light Album).
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 11:26:03 PM »

...and Dennis, on "Baby Blue" and "Lady Lynda" I believe.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 03:08:55 AM »

The string arrangements on 20/20 are some of my favorites. The group never did anything like the ending of "Be With Me" before or after. Very eerie, almost threatening.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 04:17:25 AM »

The string arrangements on 20/20 are some of my favorites. The group never did anything like the ending of "Be With Me" before or after. Very eerie, almost threatening.

That would be Dennis via Van McCoy.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 05:42:23 AM »

So who arranged the string quartet in "Don't Talk…", while is isolated in all its beauty on the Pet Sounds box set?

“We live in divisive times.”
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2010, 10:28:02 AM »

So who arranged the string quartet in "Don't Talk…", while is isolated in all its beauty on the Pet Sounds box set?

My guess is Brian via Sid Sharp.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2010, 10:56:38 AM »

I always assumed Brian arranged everything, including strings, on Pet Sounds. Bruce is on some doc somewhere talking up Brian's amazing string arrangements on Don't Talk - must have been that that made me thing Brian did them. So you think he had help, or guidance, with the strings?

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2010, 11:44:39 AM »

I always assumed Brian arranged everything, including strings, on Pet Sounds. Bruce is on some doc somewhere talking up Brian's amazing string arrangements on Don't Talk - must have been that that made me thing Brian did them. So you think he had help, or guidance, with the strings?

S' one of my fave BBs moments.  I want to believe it was all Brian's work!

“We live in divisive times.”
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2010, 12:42:09 PM »

didn't brian used to help sing the parts to the string parts or something.  I think all the string parts on Pet Sounds are from him.  They're different than most.  And i remember hearing something about the players thinking the strings on IJWMFTT were weird and didn't work, till they were put in the song anyway.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2010, 09:04:41 AM »

Tony Asher has also mentioned being very impressed by Brian's string arrangements on Pet Sounds, specifically on "Don't Talk."  I don't recall which book it was in (I think the Granata book), but he said that up until then, he didn't realize that Brian had the ability to do "serious" arranging like that.

As I've heard it told, Brian would sing the parts to the players, who likely transcribed what he was singing to them and played from that.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx