gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680813 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 04:44:37 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian's morphing tunes  (Read 15135 times)
summerinparadise.flac
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 12, 2010, 08:04:03 PM »

Southbay Surfer - Surfin' Down the Swanee River (The Honeys)
Baker's Man - Hide Go Seek (The Honeys) - Speed Turtle

if you really think about it speed turtle is the morphing of all moments of Brian's genius into one cohesive moment. imo of course.

"I'll haunt you like a ghost"
-Brian Wilson, the Ruby song from Party.

Please support the Beach Boys without being a rude dude or grumpy gus.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 13, 2010, 12:28:48 AM »

Southbay Surfer - Surfin' Down the Swanee River (The Honeys)
Baker's Man - Hide Go Seek (The Honeys) - Speed Turtle

if you really think about it speed turtle is the morphing of all moments of Brian's genius into one cohesive moment. imo of course.

No. Ding Dang is.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 13, 2010, 06:30:27 AM »

No. Ding Dang is.

This is the correct answer. Ding Dang
Curtis Leon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2010, 04:45:10 AM »

Has anyone ever noticed the recurring chant of "Ah-um ditty wadda" in Beach Boy songs? I've heard it in three songs so far. Is it just a common background chant?

By the way, they are:
Do You Remember?
Gee
and Don't Go Near the Water
Wondering if it's a common theme
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 19, 2010, 05:11:34 AM »

Has anyone ever noticed the recurring chant of "Ah-um ditty wadda" in Beach Boy songs? I've heard it in three songs so far. Is it just a common background chant?

By the way, they are:
Do You Remember?
Gee

...and isn't This Whole World a next of kin?

Curtis Leon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 19, 2010, 05:40:32 AM »

By the way, they are:
Do You Remember?
Gee

Huh. I never noticed that connection until you said something  Shocked
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 19, 2010, 05:53:34 AM »

By the way, they are:
Do You Remember?
Gee

I think it's A-Oom Dap Diddit, but it sounds so like what you described...

Curtis Leon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 19, 2010, 06:03:54 AM »

By the way, they are:
Do You Remember?
Gee

Yeah, it sounds like a variation of the theme. It's a very doo-opish chant, isn't it?
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 19, 2010, 06:14:07 AM »

By the way, they are:
Do You Remember?
Gee

and of course, A-Oom Dap Diddit found it's way to Your Imagination

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 19, 2010, 06:31:41 AM »

I guess morphine is to blame.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 19, 2010, 07:22:43 AM »

Boo.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 20, 2010, 12:57:22 AM »

And boo to you.

rogerlancelot
« Reply #62 on: September 20, 2010, 11:34:51 AM »

The tag of "Holidays" is the intro for "Happy Days".
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 20, 2010, 12:25:19 PM »

The Ah-oom-bop-did-it (or however you want to spell it) is in This Whole World, of course, and in Your Imagination.

But it also serves as the main hook in the Wilson-Paley "God Did It" tune.

The chorus -- "Ah-oom God Did It, Ah-oom God Did It / He washed my sins away."
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 03, 2012, 06:36:57 AM »

Not sure if this has already been caught in the thread but It's Just A Matter Of Time (BB85) is a development of I Feel Fine from the Cocaine Sessions, right? I know it's a straightforward doo wop chord progression but Brian seems pretty stoked that he just came up with it so unsurprising that he'd flesh it into a song. Obvious I guess but first time I'd noticed it.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
keysarsoze001
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: June 03, 2012, 06:47:29 AM »

Not sure if this has already been caught in the thread but It's Just A Matter Of Time (BB85) is a development of I Feel Fine from the Cocaine Sessions, right? I know it's a straightforward doo wop chord progression but Brian seems pretty stoked that he just came up with it so unsurprising that he'd flesh it into a song. Obvious I guess but first time I'd noticed it.

God, I despise that song. Terrible vocal. It's basically a rewrite of the infinitely superior "This Boy" by the Beatles, right down to that little vocal hiccup on "nothing to do-OO-ooh" being the same as "he'll regret it some da-EE-ay". Does that count as a morph? The build of the song is even more explicitly cribbed, I'd say, than "Ticket to Ride" into "Girl Don't Tell Me" or "When You Wish Upon a Star" into "Surfer Girl" or the verses of "The Girls on the Beach". The "Mountain of Love" into "Little Children" is pretty egregious too, especially including "used to be" in the exact same place.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 03, 2012, 09:27:29 AM »

CIFOTM -> Little Bird

joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 03, 2012, 10:16:05 AM »

Black widow= Let's do it again
GeorgeFellInHisHorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 03, 2012, 04:27:20 PM »

I don't know if this counts, considering they're all basically the same song.

Sandy -> Sherry, She Needs Me -> She Says That She Needs Me

I love every version of this song, honestly.

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 03, 2012, 10:24:07 PM »

I don't know if this counts, considering they're all basically the same song.

Sandy -> Sherry, She Needs Me -> She Says That She Needs Me

I love every version of this song, honestly.

The recent version is lacking (imo) due to the much more tame, predictable lyrics, AC production and lack of falsetto in the chorus, "Sandy" has no lead vocal (ARGGHH), and "Sherry" is a nice and interesting version but every time I listen to it I just wish Brian had done the vocal in '64.

Even above Smile or basically anything else, this one not being completed has always been the most baffling shelved track, to me. I know it was originally considered for Glen Campbell and he chose "Guess I'm Dumb", but after that, why not? It was appropriate for any album of the era, it had the same sound, the backing vocals were done, the track was done, the mix sounds fine, all it needed was a fucking lead vocal. It wouldn't have been out of place on Today!, wouldn't have been out of place on Summer Days, wouldn't have even been out of place on Pet Sounds. Or how about the B-side to "The Little Girl I Once Knew"? Anything. Why bring "I'm Waiting For The Day" back from the ashes but not this one? It's as good and as intricate as your average Pet Sounds track - not the absolute best song ever, but certainly good enough and thematically similar.

Wasn't added to any rarities compilations, wasn't added to the '93 box set, presumably wasn't considered for the Endless Summer soundtrack. Did someone just totally hate this song and saw to it that it was buried? I'll never understand.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 01:42:12 PM by runnersdialzero!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 03, 2012, 10:34:19 PM »

Sandy -> Sherry, She Needs Me -> Terri She Needs Me -> She Says That She Needs Me
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 03, 2012, 11:04:39 PM »

Sandy -> Sherry, She Needs Me -> Terri She Needs Me -> She Says That She Needs Me
Tricia
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: June 04, 2012, 10:20:15 AM »

Commenting on a couple of prior posts...

Re. "Let's Go To Heaven In My Car" --> "Water Builds Up" --- I think it's actually the other way around. I'm pretty sure that as a song, "Water Builds Up" pre-dates LGTHIMK. It's just that we're familiar with "Water Builds Up" from Sweet Insanity...but it was probably written long before.

"Walkin' The Line" --> "Morning Beat" -- I think you can argue a stronger case for "Let's Go To Heaven In My Car" --> "Morning Beat"

"Amusement Parks USA" --> "Do You Like Worms" -- sure you don't mean "Salt Lake City?""

Speaking of which...."Salt Lake City" --> "Desert Drive"

"I Said A Prayer" --> "This Isn't Love"

Now, for some controversy....and I wish I could take credit for discovering these, but I can't; don't remember who did:
"San Miguel" --> "Someone To Love"
ELO's "Don't Bring Me Down" --> "Desert Drive"
Journey's "Don't Stop Believing" --> "Forever She'll Be My Surfer Girl"

Wasn't "California Role" another song before, too???

Oh....didn't see these:

"Sweetie" --> "Love Ya"
"Christine" --> "Living Doll"

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 04, 2012, 10:48:37 AM »

Tricia

Nah, it's Terri. http://www.esquarterly.com/bellagio/gigs87.html

"Walkin' The Line" --> "Morning Beat" -- I think you can argue a stronger case for "Let's Go To Heaven In My Car" --> "Morning Beat"

I dunno about that. The correct antecedent to "Morning Beat" is the unreleased "Walkin."

It should be noted that "I Said A Prayer" doesn't really exist as a whole song. It's just the opening melodic phrase of what became "This Isn't Love." The latter song also incorporates a riff from the still bizarrely unreleased "You're Still A Mystery."

Now, for some controversy....and I wish I could take credit for discovering these, but I can't; don't remember who did:

The first one, of course. The second and third -- eh.

The correct ELO rip is such: "Calling America" into "South American." And that's preceded by ELO using the "Heroes and Villains" verse melody for their tune "Across the Border."

I've heard the Journey - FSBMSG thing too, and I'm dubious. Only because when you hear the song BW is actually rewriting, it all falls into place.

The Four Seasons' "Who Loves You" seems to be a clear precursor to FSBMSG, especially the bridge. I think it's a lot more likely that Brian heard this

Yeah, a Landy-era tune called "Wondering What You're Up to Now." It hasn't been booted, as far as I know.

I love this stuff, myself.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 01:17:07 PM by Wirestone » Logged
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 04, 2012, 11:43:36 AM »

Tricia

Nah, it's Terri. http://www.esquarterly.com/bellagio/gigs87.html

I dunno about that. The correct antecedent to "Morning Beat" is the unreleased "Walkin."

It should be noted that "I Said A Prayer" doesn't really exist as a whole song. It's just the opening melodic phrase of what became "This Isn't Love." The latter song also incorporates a riff from the still bizarrely unreleased "You're Still A Mystery."

The first one, of course. The second and third -- eh.

The correct ELO rip is such: "Calling America" into "South American." And that's preceded by ELO using the "Heroes and Villains" verse melody for their tune "Across the Border."

I've heard the Journey - FSBMSG thing too, and I'm dubious. Only because when you hear the song BW is actually rewriting, it all falls into place.

The Four Seasons' "Who Loves You" seems to be a clear precursor to FSBMSG, especially the bridge. I think it's a lot more likely that Brian heard this

Yeah, a Landy-era tune called "Wondering What You're Up to Now." It hasn't been booted, as far as I know.

I love this stuff, myself.

No I mean Mike Loves song "Tricia" which evolved from the same tune
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx