gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 03:09:25 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian's morphing tunes  (Read 15160 times)
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« on: August 31, 2010, 09:42:27 PM »

Alright, I've wanted to do this for a long time. Let's make the infamous list of Beach Boy songs that morph from one tune or borrowed a riff to another. I'll throw the ones off the top of my head, but any help would be great!

County Fair to I Do
Land Ahoy to Cherry, Cherry Coupe
All Dressed Up For School to I Just got My Pay to Marcella
All Dressed Up For School -> H&V section -> Goin' On -> Nothing But Love tag
Raspberries Strawberries to At My Window
We're Together Again to Dedrie
Walkin' to parts of Morning Beat
Back Home (original, Surfer Girl album era) to Back Home (Sunflower) to Back Home (15 Big Ones)
Windchimes (original Smile version) to Can't wait Too Long bass parts
Child Of Winter to opening lines of Some of Your Love
Mike Come Back to LA to Some of Your Love
Thinkin' Bout my Baby to Darlin'
Rollin' Up to Heaven to Ding Dang
Shortenin' Bread to 50 different BW songs
Surfin' (live at Hawaii 67) organ parts to Do it Again (Brian's wordless vocals)
Surfer Girl to Girls on the Beach
Of course, the numerous Smile riffs that have morphed, I think we've covered those til we're blue in the mouth.
Trombone Dixie to Had to Phone Ya
Hawaii to Kona Coast
Save the Day to Fairy Tale
Lana (piano part) & Salt Lake City (sax break) to Desert Drive
Market Place to Message Man
That Same Old Song (parts) & River Song (rollin' on) to Rio grande
My Solution to Happy Days
Doin' Time on Planet Earth to Being with the One you Love
Turning Point to You've Touched Me
Let's go to Heaven in My Car to Water Builds Up
San Miguel to parts of Someone to Love
Let's Stick Together to The waltz
Sweetie to Love YA
Dancin' the Night Away (parts) to How can we still Be Dancing?
I'm the Pied Piper to Lazy Lizzie
Belles of Christmas to Belles of Paris to On Christmas Day
Love to Say Dada to Cool Cool water
Honda 55 to All dressed up for School
Mountain of Love to Little Children
Da Do Run Run to Couldn't get his poor old body to move
"Do Ya" -> "How's About A Little Bit"
Fire-->Rio Grande
Rio Grande-->Morning Beat
Night Bloomin' Jasmine - Rio Grande
Don't Worry Baby - San Simeon
Southbay Surfer - Surfin' Down the Swanee River (The Honeys)
Baker's Man - Hide Go Seek (The Honeys)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 07:08:07 PM by punkinhead » Logged

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Ganz Allein
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 10:02:56 PM »

Alright, I've wanted to do this for a long time. Let's make the infamous list of Beach Boy songs that morph from one tune or borrowed a riff to another. I'll throw the ones off the top of my head, but any help would be great!

County Fair to I Do
Land Ahoy to Cherry, Cherry Coupe
All Dressed Up For School to I Just got My Pay to Marcella
opening vocals to All Dressed Up for School (doot doot doot)  to Bridge to Indians vocals to Goin' On opening vocal
Raspberries Strawberries to At My Window
We're Together Again to Dedrie
Walkin' to parts of Morning Beat
Back Home (original, Surfer Girl album era) to Back Home (Sunflower) to Back Home (15 Big Ones)
Windchimes (original Smile version) to Can't wait Too Long bass parts
Child Of Winter to opening lines of Some of Your Love
Mike Come Back to LA to Some of Your Love
Thinkin' Bout my Baby to Darlin'
Rollin' Up to Heaven to Ding Dang
Shortenin' Bread to 50 different BW songs
Surfin' (live at Hawaii 67) organ parts to Do it Again (Brian's wordless vocals)
Surfer Girl to Girls on the Beach
Of course, the numerous Smile riffs that have morphed, I think we've covered those til we're blue in the mouth.
Trombone Dixie to Had to Phone Ya
Hawaii to Kona Coast
Save the Day to Fairy Tale
Lana (piano part) & Salt Lake City (sax break) to Desert Drive
Market Place to Message Man
That Same Old Song (parts) & River Song (rollin' on) to Rio grande
My Solution to Happy Days
They're Marching Along to Little Children
Doin' Time on Planet Earth to Being with the One you Love
So Long to You've Touched Me
Let's go to Heaven in My Car to Water Builds Up
San Miguel to parts of Someone to Love
Let's Stick Together to The waltz
Sweetie to Love YA
Dancin' the Night Away (parts) to How can we still Be Dancing?

I'm the Pied Piper to Lazy Lizzie
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 11:01:01 PM »

and God Only Knows to Speed Turtle.

jk.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 11:11:07 PM »

RAGE~!

LOL

"Belles of Paris" to "On Christmas Day"( I think that was the name of the song).

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 11:25:57 PM »

I just listened to "Speed Turtle" to see why our glorious moderator hates it so, and it's really very boring with such an obviously phoned-in, uninterested lead and backing vocals from Brian. Why even bother recording it and giving it to the compilers? Everyone knows you're not interested in singing surf-car-girls songs anymore already, even if it's for the kiddies!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 12:25:32 AM »

"Love To Say Dada" ended up being "Cool Cool Water". Part of "Wind Chimes" ended up in "Been Way To Long". The melody to "All This Is That" ends up in "Happy Days".  This raises a question though. Exactly how do we tell the difference between melodies morphing into other songs, and "musical references", where something from one song is quoted in another song, in a deliberate way? Let's use Brian's Back as an example. "You Still Believe In Me" is quoted at the end of "Brian's Back", but it's more of a deliberate reference to another song, as apposed to one melody idea progressing from one song to another.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 01:03:18 AM »

Honda 55 ad
l
v
All Dressed Up For School -> H&V section -> Goin' On
l
v
I Just Got My Pay
l
v
Marcella

Also:

Grateful Are We For Little Children -> Saturday Morning In the City

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010, 03:07:13 AM »

A thing or two -> Do it again (you can sing the latter over parts of the former).

I just listened to "Speed Turtle" to see why our glorious moderator hates it so, and it's really very boring with such an obviously phoned-in, uninterested lead and backing vocals from Brian. Why even bother recording it and giving it to the compilers? Everyone knows you're not interested in singing surf-car-girls songs anymore already, even if it's for the kiddies!

Whoa NO
LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2010, 04:51:24 AM »

Surf's Up --> Kokomo.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
junkbondtrader
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2010, 06:29:52 AM »

Gettin' Hungry>Gettin' Hungry '78 I think?
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2010, 06:43:41 AM »

Too cryptic for me. Care to explain?

Menace Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2010, 07:23:46 AM »

Surf's Up --> Kokomo.

LOL

"Jeff, you care." --BW
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2010, 07:47:47 AM »

On the second Celebration album (simply titles "Celebration") Mike & co covered Gettin' Hungry in a totally different style then one would expect. Plus that Da Love wrote an extra couplet just for kicks...

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2010, 07:59:08 AM »

On the second Celebration album (simply titles "Celebration") Mike & co covered Gettin' Hungry in a totally different style then one would expect. Plus that Da Love wrote an extra couplet just for kicks...

Ah, thanks.

Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2010, 08:19:09 AM »

Ditto that response LOL

Mountain of Love - Little Children

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2010, 08:31:25 AM »

Honda 55 ad
l
v
All Dressed Up For School -> H&V section -> Goin' On
l
v
I Just Got My Pay
l
v
Marcella

Also:

Grateful Are We For Little Children -> Saturday Morning In the City

really? wish i could hear Grateful

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2010, 09:15:25 AM »

"Love To Say Dada" ended up being "Cool Cool Water". Part of "Wind Chimes" ended up in "Been Way To Long". The melody to "All This Is That" ends up in "Happy Days".  This raises a question though. Exactly how do we tell the difference between melodies morphing into other songs, and "musical references", where something from one song is quoted in another song, in a deliberate way? Let's use Brian's Back as an example. "You Still Believe In Me" is quoted at the end of "Brian's Back", but it's more of a deliberate reference to another song, as apposed to one melody idea progressing from one song to another.

really? explain the whole All This is That being Happy days, I've never heard this theory

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2010, 09:19:32 AM »

A couple of additions:

All Dressed Up For School -> H&V section -> Goin' On -> Nothing But Love tag

They're Marching Along does not change into Little Children. It is the same song with a different title. I'd be careful of stuff like that and Doin' Time on Planet Earth going to Being with the One you Love. Those songs, for example, are the same backing track and melody, with a slightly rewritten lyric. So has the song morphed? ... I dunno. The same goes for Black Widow -> Let's Do it Again, although there's slightly more transformation in the chorus there.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 09:27:18 AM by Wirestone » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2010, 10:30:25 AM »

"Do Ya" -> "How's About A Little Bit"

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2010, 10:48:28 AM »

really? explain the whole All This is That being Happy days, I've never heard this theory

anyone else know anything about this claim?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2010, 11:30:13 AM »

anyone else know anything about this claim?

The melodies for such lines as 'Dusk time the shadows fall / Into the timeless time of all' are rather similar to 'Happy days are here again / The sky is blue and clear again...' Smiley

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2010, 11:34:01 AM »

Thanks, I'll have to listen up

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Wesleymino
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2010, 12:14:26 PM »

My Solution --> beginning of Happy Days
summerinparadise.flac
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2010, 12:29:25 PM »

Fire-->Rio Grande
Rio Grande-->Morning Beat

"I'll haunt you like a ghost"
-Brian Wilson, the Ruby song from Party.

Please support the Beach Boys without being a rude dude or grumpy gus.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2010, 07:06:38 PM »

Listen to the "happy days are here again, the sky is blue and clear again" part, and try singing the verses of All This Is That on top of it. It's very similar. At least, to me it is.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx