gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680748 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 03:50:23 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Has Brian ever commented on Van Dyke Parks' Song Cycle?  (Read 2849 times)
willy
Smiley Smile Associate

Hooga hagga hooga!

View Profile WWW
« on: August 31, 2010, 01:00:45 AM »

Just curious... I wonder what he thought if anything.

I bumped my head, the sky turned red, the aardvark said "Banana!"
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 01:10:56 AM »

Not that I know of. I'd be very surprised if Brian ever said something about VDP's solo work.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 01:54:16 AM »

Not that I know of. I'd be very surprised if Brian ever said something about VDP's solo work.

Even OCA?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 01:57:09 AM »

Even OCA?

That is not a piece of VDP's solo work. See: it was done by Brian Wilson and Van Dyke Parks.

Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 05:39:14 AM »

I seem to remember reading somewhere that he was a big fan of Discover America

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 05:50:14 AM »

Interesting... for me, Discover America is the best VDP album, production-wise. Crisp, open sound, lots of detail, wonderful female backing vocals, a big touch of exotica, great rhythms (calypso, reggae-like, but also old fashioned dance stuff), and I could write volumes about the arranging. No one can arrange a song like VDP can. You're constantly put on the wrong foot, and just when you seem to lose balace, he offers a nice way out. Little Feat played on that album (well, on a number of tracks).

So it sounds natural that Brian loves it.

GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 07:23:26 AM »

Now I want to get both Song Cycle and Discover America. I've already got Orange Crate Art and think it's wonderful.
willy
Smiley Smile Associate

Hooga hagga hooga!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 08:56:51 AM »

Now I want to get both Song Cycle and Discover America. I've already got Orange Crate Art and think it's wonderful.

Just go get 'em and pick up Clang of The Yankee Reaper too. Wonderful stuff. Van Dyke's voice may be an acquired taste to some, me I love it.

shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2010, 10:32:05 AM »

From Peter Ames Carlin's book, about the OCA sessions:

Brain dragged his feet into Van Dyke's first session, interrupting the start of his first take to ask an excruciatingly simple question: "Wait a minute. What am I even doing here?" Van Dyke hit the talk button without missing a beat. "You're here because I can't stand the sound of my own voice!" Brain thought about that for a second, nodded his head, and stepped up to the microphone. "Well, that makes sense. Okay, take one!"

Grin
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2010, 01:18:23 PM »

Interesting... for me, Discover America is the best VDP album, production-wise. Crisp, open sound, lots of detail, wonderful female backing vocals, a big touch of exotica, great rhythms (calypso, reggae-like, but also old fashioned dance stuff), and I could write volumes about the arranging. No one can arrange a song like VDP can. You're constantly put on the wrong foot, and just when you seem to lose balace, he offers a nice way out. Little Feat played on that album (well, on a number of tracks).

So it sounds natural that Brian loves it.

Have to admit I rather swiftly wrote VDP's solo stuff off after not getting on with Song Cycle, but on reading your review above I am checking this album out. Sounds great - love the calypso. Thanks for the heads up!

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2010, 01:34:13 PM »

Just go get 'em and pick up Clang of The Yankee Reaper too. Wonderful stuff. Van Dyke's voice may be an acquired taste to some, me I love it.

Acquired taste is putting it mildly.  Van Dyke sounds like an elf prancing through the forest.  But I love it too.  Smiley 
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2010, 09:57:29 AM »

I'll get that one, too, thanks for the tip!  Smiley
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2010, 10:08:44 AM »

The title song of Clang Of The Yankee Reaper may be the best song that Ray Davies never wrote.

wallabie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2010, 11:14:08 AM »

"Clang of The Yankee Reaper" is the only album of VDP which is "easy to follow"... all the other one´s are more or less avantguard. I totally LOVE Song Cycle. But the VDP Album I really love the most is "Live at the Ash grove". Wow, he is playing and singing so wonderful and the setlist is brilliant.

"Even a broken clock is right twice a day"
www.beachboys-germany.com
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2010, 11:16:54 AM »

"Clang of The Yankee Reaper" is the only album of VDP which is "easy to follow"... all the other one´s are more or less avantguard. I totally LOVE Song Cycle. But the VDP Album I really love the most is "Live at the Ash grove". Wow, he is playing and singing so wonderful and the setlist is brilliant.

I love LATAG immensely. It's really 'An Evening With' in an intimate setting...

willy
Smiley Smile Associate

Hooga hagga hooga!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2010, 11:56:44 AM »

It certainly is... Van Dyke's between-songs patter is top notch. A true one-off!

GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2010, 01:41:28 PM »

I bought Song Cycle on CD about 20 years ago, but traded it in, too quirky, I thought. But now I'm more open-minded.  Smiley
rogerlancelot
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2010, 02:35:57 PM »

I bought Song Cycle on CD about 20 years ago, but traded it in, too quirky, I thought. But now I'm more open-minded.  Smiley

I originally downloaded an mp3 version 6 or 7 years ago minus the bonus track ("Eagle & Me"). I sat on it for months until one day I decided to check it out. During the first song ("Vine Street") I kept recognizing melodies all over the place such as "The Entertainer" and "Ode To Joy" woven in the musical fabric. It kept me interested. The next song "Palm Desert" had me HOOKED first listen! I wound up playing that damn thing over and over and showing it to anybody who would let me (family & friends). Reactions were very mixed. The musician and poet friends were very positive about it whereas I think everybody else listened just to be polite. I quickly bought it soon after and then slowly collected the rest. I think the only one I don't have is the live one.
SG7
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2010, 03:44:02 PM »

I love Song Cycle, but Jump is a big favorite of mine Smiley
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx