gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680784 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 12:43:03 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Best of Brian-less Beach Boys album  (Read 7871 times)
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2010, 12:08:23 PM »

I need to re-listen

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
summerinparadise.flac
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2010, 12:23:23 PM »

He does the high falsetto part on the bridge (write terminology) but thats it.

"I'll haunt you like a ghost"
-Brian Wilson, the Ruby song from Party.

Please support the Beach Boys without being a rude dude or grumpy gus.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2010, 12:40:13 PM »

He's also on Everyone's in love with you and Michael, row the boat ashore. You know, despite the popular myth there's very little Brian wasn't involved with pre LA Light.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2010, 01:29:55 PM »

Can I add?:

Lookin' at Tommorow
Disney Girls (can't remember if he has a backing vocal on this)
Tears in the Morning (wait, we're doing the best of  Cheesy)
How She Boogled it? (that's your guy's judgment call)
Country Pie (is there a studio cut that's with the Beach Boys? (not Mike's solo))
Everyone's in Love With You
Wouldn't it Be Nice to Live Again?
Go and Get that Girl
Nearest Faraway Place
Make it Good
Searchin'
Fourth Of July
Hold On Dear Brother
At the Hop
Michael Row The Boat Ashore
Happy Birthday America

Brian sings bvs on "Live Again" & "Michael". "Happy Birthday America" isn't a BB recording.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2010, 01:30:53 PM »

He's also on Everyone's in love with you

Not according to the credits on the back sleeve.

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2010, 02:36:24 PM »

Phrased it wrong. He had involvement with EILWY. He did the strings.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2010, 02:51:30 PM »

Phrased it wrong. He had involvement with EILWY. He did the strings.

I stand corrected - 'string ensemble' means he played the ARP string synth.

Nicko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2010, 03:04:19 PM »

Is Brian on It's a Beautiful Day?
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2010, 05:38:22 PM »

Disney Girls (can't remember if he has a backing vocal on this)
He does the "church bingo chances" backing vocal

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2010, 11:00:20 PM »

Is Brian on It's a Beautiful Day?

Nope.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2010, 11:05:01 PM »

Brian does the ba-ba-bas on "Long Promised Road".
Are you sure? It doesn't sound anything like him to me.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2010, 12:04:33 AM »

I've always thought I could hear some of BW's compositional style in "All This Is That".  Did he have nothing to do with the writing of that tune? 

Nothing at all, nor the recording.

This surprises me as there's a clear reference to All This Is That in Brian's Happy Days. Compare the lines "Happy Days are here again. The sky is clear and blue again" to All This Is That: "Day break and I take a glide, into the pool of peace inside." It's an identical melody and would surprise me if Brian quoted a song written by one of the others.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2010, 12:56:11 AM »

I've always thought I could hear some of BW's compositional style in "All This Is That".  Did he have nothing to do with the writing of that tune? 

This surprises me as there's a clear reference to All This Is That in Brian's Happy Days. Compare the lines "Happy Days are here again. The sky is clear and blue again" to All This Is That: "Day break and I take a glide, into the pool of peace inside." It's an identical melody and would surprise me if Brian quoted a song written by one of the others.

Just did an A/B - the melody is similar, but far from identical. In any case, the second part of "Happy Days" is a recycled (untitled) Love You outtake - Brian stated this in an interview shortly after Imagination was released.

buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2010, 02:24:53 AM »

I've always thought I could hear some of BW's compositional style in "All This Is That".  Did he have nothing to do with the writing of that tune?  

Just did an A/B - the melody is similar, but far from identical. In any case, the second part of "Happy Days" is a recycled (untitled) Love You outtake - Brian stated this in an interview shortly after Imagination was released.

I must disagree with you on this as 2.29 to 2.45 on Happy Days is strikingly similar to me, to the point that when I first heard it I instantly recognised it as All This Is That. Granted, it's only two chords, but the melody of the vocal line is identical to my ears, and if I isolate the following line, I hear identical intonation per syllable:

"The | Sky | Is   | Blue | And | Clear   | A | gain"
"In   | to    |the  | pool  | of    | peace | In| side"

to the point that it can't just be coincidence imo. Whether that then means he originally was involved in the writing of ATIT or was plagiarising it for Happy Days I don't know, but if he recycled part of a Love You Outtake for part of it, then why would he not dip further back into his own catalogue for another part? A lot of what ifs I know but I'll be sticking with my hunch  Smiley

It's fascinating to hear though that the 2nd part is a Love You outtake - thanks for this info. I love the whole section "Oh my gosh, Happy Days are here again" and was recently wondering if that was newly written for Imagination, or a recycle, as it's just so catchy. I'd wager that that part was written during Love You. It is very similar in spirit to Marching Along and That Special Feeling. To think there could be more Love You outtakes in the vault, specifically an embryonic part of Happy Days ...

« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 04:33:54 AM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
carl r
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2010, 03:35:28 AM »

I don't want to start a war here, but I'd like to say, 'All This Is That' seems like a bit of a freak occasion, if we think that Brian had absolutely nothing to do with it. Not to say that Carl, Alan and Mike weren't capable of good stuff - but All This... stands apart IMO. 
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2010, 03:42:15 AM »

I must disagree with you on this as 2.29 to 2.45 on Happy Days is strikingly similar to me, to the point that when I first heard it I instantly recognised it as All This Is That. Granted, it's only two chords, but the melody of the vocal line is identical to my ears, and if I isolate the following line, I hear identical intonation per syllable:

"The | Sky | Is   | Clear | And | Blue   | A | gain"
"In   | to    |the  | pool  | of    | peace | I  | glide"

to the point that it can't just be coincidence imo. Whether that then means he originally was involved in the writing of ATIT or was plagiarising it for Happy Days I don't know, but if he recycled part of a Love You Outtake for part of it, then why would he not dip further back into his own catalogue for another part? A lot of what ifs I know but I'll be sticking with my hunch  Smiley

It's fascinating to hear though that the 2nd part is a Love You outtake - thanks for this info. I love the whole section "Oh my gosh, Happy Days are here again" and was recently wondering if that was newly written for Imagination, or a recycle, as it's just so catchy. I'd wager that that part was written during Love You. It is very similar in spirit to Marching Along and That Special Feeling. To think there could be more Love You outtakes in the vault, specifically an embryonic part of Happy Days ...

I'd be a tad happier if you quoted the lyrics you're comparing correctly. It's "blue and clear", and "pool of peace inside" (I know, a very minor point, but...): also you've downgraded from "identical" (statement) to "strikingly similar to me" (opinion).  Grin

buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2010, 04:40:57 AM »

I've always thought I could hear some of BW's compositional style in "All This Is That".  Did he have nothing to do with the writing of that tune?  

"The | Sky | Is   | Clear | And | Blue   | A | gain"
"In   | to    |the  | pool  | of    | peace | I  | glide"

to the point that it can't just be coincidence imo. Whether that then means he originally was involved in the writing of ATIT or was plagiarising it for Happy Days I don't know, but if he recycled part of a Love You Outtake for part of it, then why would he not dip further back into his own catalogue for another part? A lot of what ifs I know but I'll be sticking with my hunch  Smiley

I'd be a tad happier if you quoted the lyrics you're comparing correctly. It's "blue and clear", and "pool of peace inside" (I know, a very minor point, but...): also you've downgraded from "identical" (statement) to "strikingly similar to me" (opinion).  Grin

Ok ok, I mixed the lines up in my haste to prove you wrong  Grin

For the sake of argument, I would say that the intonation on that one line is identical, and overall that 16 second section of Happy Days is strikingly similar to All This Is That.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 04:51:48 AM by buddhahat » Logged

TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2010, 08:15:21 PM »

It's in the David Marks/Stebbins book.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
BJL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2010, 08:35:27 PM »

It's in the David Marks/Stebbins book.

for some reason i thought this was marilyn?
BJL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2010, 08:39:51 PM »

I don't want to start a war here, but I'd like to say, 'All This Is That' seems like a bit of a freak occasion, if we think that Brian had absolutely nothing to do with it. Not to say that Carl, Alan and Mike weren't capable of good stuff - but All This... stands apart IMO. 

I beg to differ...I think the thing that confuses people is that all this is that is often attributed strongly to mike and al, when really, to my ears, it is the logical successor to feel flows and long promised road, and has carl's fingerprints all over it!!  It certainly has more in common with feel flows or trader than with mess of help or funky pretty, which seem to represent brian's state of mind at the time - the four above mentioned carl wilson songs are in themselves a bit of a freak occurrence.  Carl's contributions elsewhere in the catalogue are often very good, but those four songs rise to an incredible level, and stand with the best music of the 70s, imho
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2010, 09:09:18 PM »

I beg to differ...I think the thing that confuses people is that all this is that is often attributed strongly to mike and al, when really, to my ears, it is the logical successor to feel flows and long promised road, and has carl's fingerprints all over it!!  It certainly has more in common with feel flows or trader than with mess of help or funky pretty, which seem to represent brian's state of mind at the time - the four above mentioned carl wilson songs are in themselves a bit of a freak occurrence.  Carl's contributions elsewhere in the catalogue are often very good, but those four songs rise to an incredible level, and stand with the best music of the 70s, imho

here here

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2010, 11:53:25 PM »

They were all very capable of writing great tunes in the early 70's which is why despite fewer Brian gems, this is easily my favourite era of the group.

Glenn Greenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2010, 07:08:49 AM »

Not only is it Brian doing the ba-ba-bas on "Long Promised Road," he also harmonizes with Carl at the end, repeating "I'd love to see you" as the song fades out.

Glenn
MBE
« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2010, 11:35:49 PM »

I was thinking of which album is the best Beach Boys album without Brian, but dernit, there's a hint of him on each album. So I propose to make (once again  Grin) a fan mix album of the best BB songs with no Brian involvement at all. If I mention a tune that even has a slight hint of Brian, let me know.

All This is That
I can Hear Music
Long Promised Road
All I want To Do
It's About Time
Feel Flows
It's Getting Late (I can't remember if Brian has vocals on this)
Leaving This Town
Trader
Maybe I don't Know (can't remember either)
10 Years of Harmony
Love Surrounds Me
Only With You
Full Sail
Big Sur (early cut)
Where I Belong
Still Cruisin'
Bluebirds Over the Mountains
Lady Lynda
Cotton Fields (single)
Lahaina Aloha
Cuddle Up
Chasin' the Sky
Somewhere Near Japan
Baby Blue
Be Still
Livin' With a Heartache
Summer in Paradise album  Shocked
Beaks of Eagles
Keepin' the Summer Alive
Lookin' at Tommorow
Tears in the Morning
How She Boogled it?
Country Pie

Go and Get that Girl
Nearest Faraway Place
Make it Good
Searchin'
Fourth Of July
Hold On Dear Brother
At the Hop
It's Beautiful Day
How She Boogolooed It may not have it but I have been told he played on it musically but didn't write any of it.
The early Big Sur has him all over it. He sings the back up and you can even hear him right at the end where I think he hums.
Cotton Fields single also has him on back up. I've asked several people in the know and I recall one telling me he cut his vocals seperate after most of the track was finished.
He may be on Cuddle Up. On the 45 mix it sounds a lot like him.
Slim chance but he may be on Baby Blue.
I'm pretty sure he wasn't on  Angel Come Home, Sumahama, It's A Beautiful Day, Here Comes The Night disco, Full Sail, Goin South. I don't think anything but the first song is a classic though.
Never Learn Not To Love does have Brian as does Sound Of Free. Lady doesn't but I guess it's really more of a solo track then Sound Of Free actually was.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 11:43:52 PM by MBE » Logged
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 14, 2010, 10:12:22 PM »

I was thinking of which album is the best Beach Boys album without Brian, but dernit, there's a hint of him on each album. So I propose to make (once again  Grin) a fan mix album of the best BB songs with no Brian involvement at all. If I mention a tune that even has a slight hint of Brian, let me know.

All This is That
I can Hear Music
Long Promised Road
All I want To Do
It's About Time
Feel Flows
It's Getting Late (I can't remember if Brian has vocals on this)
Leaving This Town
Trader
Maybe I don't Know (can't remember either)
10 Years of Harmony
Love Surrounds Me
Only With You
Full Sail
Big Sur (early cut)
Where I Belong
Still Cruisin'
Bluebirds Over the Mountains
Lady Lynda
Cotton Fields (single)
Lahaina Aloha
Cuddle Up
Chasin' the Sky
Somewhere Near Japan
Baby Blue
Be Still
Livin' With a Heartache
Summer in Paradise album  Shocked
Beaks of Eagles
Keepin' the Summer Alive
Lookin' at Tommorow
Tears in the Morning
How She Boogled it?
Country Pie

Go and Get that Girl
Nearest Faraway Place
Make it Good
Searchin'
Fourth Of July
Hold On Dear Brother
At the Hop
It's Beautiful Day
How She Boogolooed It may not have it but I have been told he played on it musically but didn't write any of it.
The early Big Sur has him all over it. He sings the back up and you can even hear him right at the end where I think he hums.
Cotton Fields single also has him on back up. I've asked several people in the know and I recall one telling me he cut his vocals seperate after most of the track was finished.
He may be on Cuddle Up. On the 45 mix it sounds a lot like him.
Slim chance but he may be on Baby Blue.
I'm pretty sure he wasn't on  Angel Come Home, Sumahama, It's A Beautiful Day, Here Comes The Night disco, Full Sail, Goin South. I don't think anything but the first song is a classic though.
Never Learn Not To Love does have Brian as does Sound Of Free. Lady doesn't but I guess it's really more of a solo track then Sound Of Free actually was.

Can I get a witness?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx