gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:30:40 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Has anybody ever seen this footage?  (Read 13192 times)
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2006, 03:19:49 PM »

I was just thinking how perfect that face was for an avatar.

Ian had it ages ago, but I hadn't seen the source until today. It's hilariously awesome.

EDIT: Man, Getcha Back... I guess playin' up the Revenge of the Nerds' popularity?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2006, 03:25:30 PM by Mitchell » Logged

Watch out for snakes!
Chris D.
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2006, 03:28:45 PM »

I'm sorry guys...I respect all of you...and I don't hate ML's contribution at all...but he is just one embarrassingly, dorky goofball in that clip. I just wish he had one iota of coolness and sex appeal as a frontman instead of all that cheese. When he's in the back singing and someone else is on lead vocals I love him, but it kinda makes me squirm how he makes such an ass of himself.

Go ahead and flame away...I guess I've got it comin'.

Come on Ian...I'm ready.

Find a clip on there of them doing "I Get Around" on Ready, Steady, Go.  One shot of Mike checking out this girl says it all.  And you don't even see the girl.
JScott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2006, 03:55:22 PM »

Ok, in all fairness he had some sex appeal when he wasn't contorting his face and doing those spastic dance moves. The gesticulation was always the same in IGR. Mike loves a good formula doesn't he?

“Hey, I don’t know the answer to life. I just know that when enough voices combine with the right melody, you’ve got the sound of heaven.”
cta
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2006, 04:21:35 PM »

Is that the same Shindig that The Who did "I Can't Explain" that appears in The Kids Are Alright?

Feh.
Chris D.
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2006, 04:22:54 PM »

Is that the same Shindig that The Who did "I Can't Explain" that appears in The Kids Are Alright?

No, that was the Indian program Shjindig.
cta
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2006, 04:32:02 PM »

Goonga-de-goonga.  :D

Feh.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2006, 05:43:47 PM »

Yes.
But the Who's performance was recorded in England at Twickenham studios, along with an early arrangement of My Generation.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Rerun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2006, 06:16:00 PM »

I had no idea they had so many 80s singles...

"Today, in our increasingly secular world, loving one another doesn't just mean "loving."  It means being forced to accept as normal those behaviors and lifestyles that are absolutely abnormal.  It's not enough to live and let live.  You must chant their mantra as well; you must repent, renounce your own values, and pronounce those of the radical left as superior and adopt them."
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2006, 07:24:18 PM »

For the mid 80's concert video with Spirit of Rock n Roll, Landy really cleaned Brian up eventhough he's acting like a robot. Brian's voice doesn't sound bad either.

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
SurferGirl7
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2006, 07:33:23 PM »

Dude he was lip syncing how could it sound bad lol?

That whole speech Brian does still bugs me. Its like some creepy kids rhyme gone wrong or something.
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2006, 07:41:58 PM »

Yeah, he sounds like a Stepford Wife. He talks literally like a robot. I wonder what Landy had him on that day?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS9avwE3tts&search=beach%20boys

I don't know if someone already pointed this out, mid-80's music video for "It's Getting Late," it's gloriously bad and really weird. Who the hell came up with this crap? The Beach Boys have put out so much embarrasing crap it's really no wonder they're not taken seriously as artists. Even to this day, Mike Love and Bruce Johnston go on stage wearing hawaiian shirts. Lame.

Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2006, 07:48:22 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lq4OMmNnt7c&search=beach%20boys

They look cool here on "Ready Steady Go" singing "I Get Around." Even Mike doesn't look like a dork.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2006, 07:55:04 PM by Mike Lovestein » Logged

Mark H.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2006, 09:20:52 PM »

Even in 1965 Mike moves like an old man.  So his moves really have not changed at all.  He is the master of the "funky chicken" I must say....in fact...did he invent that dance?
runalot
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2006, 08:36:47 AM »

Typed in BRIAN WILSON and got some nifty treats...

http://youtube.com/results?search=Brian+Wilson&search_type=search_videos&search=Search

The things she does to me when she makes love to me...
Swamp Pirate
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2006, 08:43:12 AM »

The best video the Beach Boys did was the "California Dreamin'" video.

Second best- "Wipeout" with the Fat Boys. 
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2006, 09:48:39 AM »

The best video the Beach Boys did was the "California Dreamin'" video.

Second best- "Wipeout" with the Fat Boys. 

Exactly what I think...

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
smackdaddy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2006, 09:56:19 AM »

Mike Love's trnsformation from the gangly, badly programmed robot of the early 60's into the 1st class charismatic frontman of the late 60s and 70s is one of the few feel-good stories of the Beach Boys Saga.
al
Smiley Smile Associate

Home again Home again jiggety jig...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2006, 11:33:37 AM »

>>> Anybody who sees that Shindig clip and does not love Mike Love is no friend of mine

WORD. UP.

That's some of the best camping about I've ever seen. I LOVE Long Tall Texan. LOVE.

Mike Love is the most embarassing excuse for a pop star EVER!!!

What the hell induced The Beach Boys not only to stick the god awful Long Tall Texan into their live set but to also do it on TV when they had so many great songs of their own is truly staggering. I blame Mike for that too (no evidence, I just hate him!).

I need a bath after watching the Shindig stuff -but he's just as bad on the Lost DVD too.

They had to be the least cool group ever - bald, fat, short, strange shaped heads, they had everything, including the worst miming drummer on the planet!

You gotta love 'em.
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2006, 11:39:05 AM »

They had to be the least cool group ever - bald, fat, short, strange shaped heads, they had everything, including the worst miming drummer on the planet!

You gotta love 'em.

That's what is so damn cool about them. They didn't follow the traditional image of cool, but rather had Murry Wilson wanting his boys looking like "Americans", which no doubt had them held as unhip in most minds. I'd rather see Al looking like a stoned elf rather than John Lennon strutting his cool all over a tv performance.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
Compost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2006, 07:56:11 AM »

Great stuff, guys.  Two things:  Mike needed a choreographer and pants that didn't look like support hose.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2006, 10:38:36 AM »

A few things I noticed about Brian performing Heroes and Villains on Leno:

They got rid of a few lines ("once a night cotillion squared the fight and she was right in the rain of the bullets that eventually brought her down but she's still dancing in the night unafraid of what a dude'll do in a town full of heroes and villains"). Brian's hand motions/actions are just as bad as Mike Love's, though I have to say him waving at the "I've been in this town so long, so long to the city" line finally made me understand what it meant.

And Jay calls SMiLE a "masterpliece".

EDIT: And what the hell is that Josh Groban video? Is this just mislabeled?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2006, 10:50:22 AM by Aegir » Logged

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2006, 10:52:25 AM »

And Jay calls SMiLE a "masterpliece".

That bothered me. Was it just a slip? He messed up the word by accident? Or could it be a total mock of the music?

And that "So Long" wave is cool.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2006, 11:00:01 AM »

I'm pretty sure it was just a slip; he wouldn't be that obvious.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=opiMauWL4mA&search=Brian%20Wilson

Good Vibrations video.. watch Dennis towards the end, he starts hitting the cymbals with his fist!

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2006, 11:02:30 AM »

Haha I was JUST watching that a second ago.

He's doing the tambourine parts without one and laughing about it as well.

Mike looks like he was zapped right out of 1860.

jabba2
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2006, 11:31:13 AM »

Haha I was JUST watching that a second ago.

He's doing the tambourine parts without one and laughing about it as well.

Mike looks like he was zapped right out of 1860.

They look stoned out of their heads in that video. No wonder noone took them seriously, it was the worst lip syched performence of all-time! And some people here actually think they would have continued fine without Brians music. Haha not. They also match this performence with Do It Again on a different youtube clip.

Someone should upload some American Band performences, they did both songs live and not lyp syched.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2006, 11:34:12 AM by jabba2 » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx