gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680864 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 01:03:54 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Describing Dennis Wilson's music to a typical music fan  (Read 3776 times)
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« on: August 29, 2010, 07:20:13 PM »

Using any artists, genres, or songs, how would you describe Denny's songs (from Little Bird to the end of his life)

I wanna start by saying the POB album is very BW plus Spector mixed with Dennis Wilson's balls.  Wink
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 07:21:38 PM by punkinhead » Logged

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 08:39:01 PM »

i love whenever someone called it white soul.  or it's the second half of the summer, when things start to get cloudy.  Or even more, it's the beach when it's getting cold.  and badass.
Jason
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 09:18:10 PM »

People ask me what it sounds like, I say -

"It sounds like Dennis Wilson. Period."
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 09:38:22 PM »

well that's helpful.
Jason
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 10:20:48 PM »

I'd say it's the highest compliment you can pay the man's music.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 11:10:56 PM »

I'd say it's the highest compliment you can pay the man's music.
Didn't the man himself once say "Everything I am or will ever be is in the music. Just Listen"?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Jason
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2010, 11:36:12 PM »

That should be known by anyone who has more than a passing interest in the band's music, but even some of us hardcores need to be poked and prodded until we finally get it.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2010, 11:53:49 PM »

While we're at it, let's throw in the comment that "the man"(my new nickname for Dennis lol) made regarding Brian. At a Beach Boys concert, a fan shouted "Where's Brian?". Dennis answered with "Brian's in the music". Such a simple sentence, but if you think about i t....that pretty much sums it up.  Smiley

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2010, 06:18:32 AM »

Somewhat maudlin at times.   I know a lot of people really connect/connected with Dennis on an emotional level through some of his music .  I tried.   I like Bamboo a lot better than POB because it is more basic, and has less of the emotional reaching.

(I guess I should duck under my desk now to avoid the negative response I'm about to recieve ) 
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2010, 06:33:02 AM »

Somewhat maudlin at times.   I know a lot of people really connect/connected with Dennis on an emotional level through some of his music .  I tried.   I like Bamboo a lot better than POB because it is more basic, and has less of the emotional reaching.

(I guess I should duck under my desk now to avoid the negative response I'm about to recieve ) 

We love you, Donald, unconditionally. You just will have to find the inner child in you, the real me you used to be. Then you will realise the emphatic potential that you carry within you, and you'll be able to channel the spirit of Dennis Wilson.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2010, 06:46:34 AM »

We love you, Donald, unconditionally. You just will have to find the inner child in you, the real me you used to be. Then you will realise the emphatic potential that you carry within you, and you'll be able to channel the spirit of Dennis Wilson.

let me get this straight.....I used to be you?    Or I used to be me?   I have emphatic potential?   This changes everything!
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2010, 06:48:51 AM »

let me get this straight.....I used to be you?    Or I used to be me?   I have emphatic potential?   This changes everything!

LOL pretty brilliant! To be fair: I got that 'real me' phrase from Garrison Keillor, but never saw it interpreted in this queer way. You are a star...

Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2010, 10:34:15 AM »

Jesus with a hangover produced by Spector with a heart.
summerinparadise.flac
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2010, 10:42:14 AM »

Somewhat maudlin at times.   I know a lot of people really connect/connected with Dennis on an emotional level through some of his music .  I tried.   I like Bamboo a lot better than POB because it is more basic, and has less of the emotional reaching.

I'm with you. I love Dennis' songs but sometimes his production is just too much and the over singing can be ...dare I say this...near the level of Bruce "Magnum" Johnston.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 10:44:45 AM by summerinparadise.flac » Logged

"I'll haunt you like a ghost"
-Brian Wilson, the Ruby song from Party.

Please support the Beach Boys without being a rude dude or grumpy gus.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2010, 10:56:37 AM »

I've sometimes compared it to Pink Floyd crossed with Chicago.  It's not super accurate, but on the surface level, it gets the idea across.
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2010, 11:16:52 AM »

I'd throw in a dash of Elton John, especially in the piano playing.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2010, 11:44:30 AM »

I've sometimes compared it to Pink Floyd crossed with Chicago.  It's not super accurate, but on the surface level, it gets the idea across.

I was thinking about that too! especially Chicago with Dennis' tune: Time.

What tunes of his remind you of PF?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2010, 05:02:01 PM »

Yeah, maybe with a little of the later Harry Nilsson (think All I Think About Is You, or much of Pussycats) crossed with the Boss. I know a bunch of folks who I've played POB to in the last 20 years and they all hear the Floyd
 thing right away.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 05:52:41 PM by grillo » Logged

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
WWDWD?
Smiley Smile Associate

What would Dennis Wilson do?

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2010, 05:17:09 PM »

Jesus with a hangover produced by Spector with a heart.

That is freakin' awesome! Haha!
My friends and I have a longstanding mantra... WWDWD? or What Would Dennis Wilson Do?

I'd say it's a mix of... classic beach boys, drunken outpours and cocaine jams.
The beach in winter.

What the Beach Boys should've been doing (or at least what some of their music should've sounded like at that point). It sounds authentic. Dennis Wilson acts his age.

Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2010, 05:25:17 PM »

A bit of Tom Waits in there too. Especially in his later music.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2010, 12:15:09 AM »

A bit of Tom Waits in there too. Especially in his later music.

Hm. Very good. I am imagining Denny doing Waits' 'Martha', or 'Hang Down Your Head', or 'You're Innocent When You Dream'. Could've been gorgeous, you know.

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2010, 06:40:34 PM »

I was listening to the first half of Harry's p*ssy Cats, it's very POB, I love it!

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2010, 07:31:14 PM »

f*** that, I would've loved to hear Dennis do Waits' "16 Shells from a Thirty-Ought Six"!
MBE
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2010, 11:39:00 PM »

I feel the only way you could describe Dennis is as a complete original. I really haven't heard music like his elsewhere. You can say he had a feel for rock, jazz, pop, even RnB. Certainlly he was good at both slow songs and fast ones. I've heard him in other people but I don't feel like he was influenced too much by any of them. Brian was an influense of course as well as Carl but I think he took things in a different direction.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx