gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681012 Posts in 27626 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 15, 2024, 10:17:35 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New: No Romance  (Read 3935 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 29, 2010, 05:02:00 PM »

And here is the new recording I was discussing in the Making Music thread of this forum earlier today. This is a circa 2008 song very roughly demo'd once (just guitar and a voice), with this version entirely done today. I'm really sick of working on it at the moment, so this VERY rough mix is going to have to do it for tonight, but I am going to take another stab at that tomorrow or sometime soon. Ladies and gentlemen, enjoy "No Romance."
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 04:12:53 PM by Luther » Logged

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 04:13:56 PM »

I have done some mixing on this. I still don't like the mix at all. But I do like the song. I really do. I'm not going to lie. (I like the song.) Have a listen! Tell me what you think, mix comments especially welcome since I suck horribly at mixing. http://www.sendspace.com/file/npa9ii

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

DSamore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 07:17:51 AM »

Cool tune, Luther!! I dig the breezy feel to it.

Your voice sounds nice, light, and nimble. Very fitting. Almost Bruce-like on this one! "We're irresponsible but in love"- nice!

Great harmonies!

I enjoyed this quite a bit. Mix job sounds fine to these ears!
puppet-pony
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 07:50:25 AM »

Very nice sweet song Smiley I really liked your vocals on this one. Very nice harmonies and I really like the tone of your lead vocals!

About the mix, I unfortunately found it a little bit messy. The acoustic guitar being the main issue for me, how did you record it? It sounds a little bit like it's recorded with a jack plugged into the acoustic guitar. I would pan it more to the right and turn down the volume so it doesn't stick out so much. I guess this is just my taste, but I would maybe re-record and go for a more conventional acoustic guitar sound - more fluffy-like, I think it would accompany the nice piano sound/playing and the natural drum-sound very well.

I'm maybe boring, but I would try a more typical mix, with the drums(snare) in the middle, and vocals, and pan other instruments further out to their own panning-place so each would get more space so it'd become clearer. And, turn up the volume of the snare!

Also, I'm not completely sure, but some instruments sound like they have a weird kind of reverb and are sticking out, not sure. Did you use a stereo reverb on them - it doesn't like it on some instruments? Also, I would maybe try to use a bit more compressor on the lead vocals, for more level consistency - maybe. Not sure! And definitely turn up the volume of the background vocals, those are sweet and deserve more attention Smiley

These are just my opinions, so I hope I don't sound cruel, or like I know better or anything!

Anyway, a very nice song indeed!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 02:47:56 PM »

Thanks, folks. I appreciate the feedback. I'm glad the breezy, sweet sound came through, because that was key for me: making a song about watching a terminally ill person die somehow feel like it's just a sweet little song, almost like they're on vacation instead of waiting for the end. Creepy, yes, but it was fun to write. puppet-pony, no offense taken at all. (I can handle any criticism if it's respectful, and that definitely was.) Funny about the guitar, because in my first mix I thought it was drowned by too-loud drums. I EQ'd the treble up some, turned it up, and turned the drums down. Apparently too much; plus I'm sure that EQing is what gave it what you called the "jack plugged..." sound. I think I know what you mean there. Frankly I think I could have a mix with much better sound just by removing effect. As for vox placement, I did play around with that a lot but must admit I like to sometimes pan the doubled part.

matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 04:09:02 AM »

It's very pretty but definitely has a negative edge in it too which makes it sort of unpalatable but still enjoyable. The little piano frills added to this nice/not nice flavour. I liked the groove but perhaps found the drums a bit clunky, maybe a lighter sound or percussion might help it - but then again I like the awkwardness and it's nice when the extra percussion comes in anyway.

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2010, 04:57:44 AM »

I liked the groove but perhaps found the drums a bit clunky
That's because I am such a shitty drummer!  Grin

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2010, 09:13:05 AM »

Yet again. Entirely newly done drums. Less cluttered. Still hardly perfect execution on the drums, though... http://www.sendspace.com/file/hmp18w

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx