gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 10:58:50 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New: Marianne, Are You Listening?  (Read 2217 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 28, 2010, 09:12:20 AM »

This is the song I referenced yesterday. It's from early 2001 originally, with this recording dating back to 2008 (guitars, bass, verse lead vocal, which I actually posted here back then as a scratch version). The rest I did yesterday and today. It still needs a better mix--as does everything I ever do--but this gets the idea across, I think. It doesn't sound like my usual stuff. Much creepier. And btw, that middle section is supposed to sound cacophonous, hence the really loud and distorted drums, though I don't think I quite nailed it yet. Enjoy. http://www.sendspace.com/file/1qkfd9

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
puppet-pony
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 09:51:20 AM »

Nice song, enjoyed it Smiley! The highlights for me, was the "cacophonous"-part, works great as a sweet chorus and fits perfectly to the rest of the song! And, the weird spooky part in the verses, I love it, didn't see it coming! Think maybe those parts should be louder in volume. Your vocals remind me a little bit of musical-vocals in the verses, which works fine, but they sounded a lot sweeter in the "chorus" part!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2010, 10:16:22 AM »

Thank you. I think I know what you mean about the verses sounding like a musical: because of the content and mood, it didn't feel right to try to sing it sweetly at all, so I went with my sing-speak voice, maybe a little more dramatic and definitely not pretty. By the "weird spooky part in the verse," I think you mean the whole-tone scale, harmonized piano (with reverb added). I was thinking it might work best quiet, as if it's happening somewhere else. That's also why I added so much reverb to it whereas the rest of that section has very little or none, depending on the instrument. But I could definitely experiment with it, too. Thanks for listening and giving your thoughts.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 04:13:12 AM »

I quite like this one - the fuzzbass reminds me of the tone on Lou Reeds 'Berlin' - I like the verses bit with the up and down piano which really reminds me of some early Genesis (which I know you're not a fan of...). Anyway the song is good, though again like 'No romance' which i've just listened to as well it's got an unsettling edge.

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx