gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:38:31 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The battle continues  (Read 4446 times)
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 27, 2010, 02:28:25 PM »

Who will win? Who can survive this clash of titans?

« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 03:20:16 PM by Wirestone » Logged
summerinparadise.flac
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 02:42:38 PM »

DId you see what Boner Williams albums they had?

"I'll haunt you like a ghost"
-Brian Wilson, the Ruby song from Party.

Please support the Beach Boys without being a rude dude or grumpy gus.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 02:49:59 PM »

That photo reminds me, why wasn't Kip Winger at the BW tribute? He and Ricky Martin would have done one helluva duet, and Kip could have added some of those trademark high-kicks!

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010, 02:52:11 PM »

Ok, Wirestone deserves some sort of award  LOL

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2010, 04:03:41 PM »

Who will win? Who can survive this clash of titans?
Whatever. You guys can joke all you want, but WBA proved their superiority nigh on 40 years ago. The Beatles' skill and talent intimidated Brian into scrapping SMiLe, but it was only when Wishbone Ash came out with their masterpiece "Argus"  in 1971 that Brian really lost it... he knew he couldn't compete with them, not with crap like "This Whole World" or "'Til I Die."

- B00ts
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2010, 06:07:14 PM »

Plus, it seems like Wishbone Ash has a somewhat controversial frontman who's keeping the band going despite an almost total lineup change. It's uncanny!
Fun Is In
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2010, 06:29:33 PM »

What happens when matter and anti-matter collide like that?
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2010, 01:31:54 AM »

What happens when matter and anti-matter collide like that?

IMPLOSION!! Shocked

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2010, 02:04:11 AM »

LOL LOL LOL I just pissed myself... give Wirestone a fine whiskey and a cigar!

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Paulos
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2010, 10:09:44 AM »

One of my friends made me listen to Argus once after claiming it was the best album he had ever heard, I wasn't impressed as each song seems to go on forever and ever, even the shorter songs seem incredibly longwinded.
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2010, 10:45:14 AM »

Yeah, me too. I had a friend, an Italian guy, who burned me a copy. Are you Italian?

On first listen, I really was thinking that this was Spinal Tap territory; but the album did grow on me after a few listens. But, yeah, those songs are LONG. Still, I like what they were doing better than, say, Yes. There's still a sense of melody that's not wholly overcome by guitar wankery.

Difficult to categorize them, sort of early metal/folk rock/progressive. Not that Wishbone Ash needs to be categorized.
A Million Units In Jan!
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2010, 12:06:20 PM »

One of my friends made me listen to Argus once after claiming it was the best album he had ever heard, I wasn't impressed as each song seems to go on forever and ever, even the shorter songs seem incredibly longwinded.

'When you're stoned, 20 seconds of music seems like 2 hours. We were really stoned'  Brian Wilson, IJWMFTT
Jason
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2010, 12:17:10 PM »

It should be noted that very few prog bands can do long songs without boring the living hell out of you. I count Os Mutantes, Banco del Mutuo Soccorso, Tangerine Dream, Faust, Opeth, Therion, Pink Floyd, Nokturnal Mortum, and Genesis among those who can do long songs and actually keep the listener riveted.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2010, 12:56:20 PM »

It should be noted that very few prog bands can do long songs without boring the living hell out of you. I count Os Mutantes, Banco del Mutuo Soccorso, Tangerine Dream, Faust, Opeth, Therion, Pink Floyd, Nokturnal Mortum, and Genesis among those who can do long songs and actually keep the listener riveted.

I would mostly agree with that but I would add the extended version of in a gadda da vida with the exquisite organ noodling to your list.  And to be fair, one has to mention the exquisite organ noodlings of Rick Wakeman and Keith Emerson.
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2010, 01:04:24 PM »

I don't crap on Yes but they had at least one album which is twice as long as it should be!

Its certainly possible to make long compositions in any genre which keep the listener engaged and excited throughout...there's no law which says pop songs have to be 3 minutes long....that just happened to be the time a 12 inch shellac or 7 inc 45 lasted. So it became the standard length for popular music songs.

Brian has the ability to pack 7 minutes worth of musical ideas into 3 1/2 minutes, which is clever and impressive in itself.
Menace Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2010, 03:06:48 PM »

Still, I like what they were doing better than, say, Yes. There's still a sense of melody that's not wholly overcome by guitar wankery.

Steve Howe...guitar wankery?!?  Angry

"Jeff, you care." --BW
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2010, 07:18:57 PM »

Maybe if I said 'genius-level guitar wankery' it would help?
Menace Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2010, 09:21:16 PM »

Maybe if I said 'genius-level guitar wankery' it would help?

That helps somewhat.  Razz

"Jeff, you care." --BW
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2010, 03:39:27 PM »

I would mostly agree with that but I would add the extended version of in a gadda da vida with the exquisite organ noodling to your list. 

Yes, you have to listen to the long version of that.  Also, the long version of "Crimson and Clover" is a must. 
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2010, 04:11:08 PM »

Sorry guys BUT looking at the photo in question 'Where The Hell Is The Dennis Wilson Tab' 'cos I can't see one !!!!!!!!
Sod BW and WA , where is POB HuhHuh?
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2010, 12:05:08 AM »

Sorry guys BUT looking at the photo in question 'Where The Hell Is The Dennis Wilson Tab' 'cos I can't see one !!!!!!!!
Sod BW and WA , where is POB HuhHuh?

Don't you know that Wirestone shot the shop owner after having taken the photo?

Surfing Moose
Smiley Smile Associate

violation of §12: failing to surf...

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2010, 01:41:53 AM »

I'd be more than happy if my local record store had a Brian Wilson tab and the BB tab would contain more than a Greatest Hits CD

But... I noticed they have a POB under W Misc  Grin
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2010, 09:53:52 AM »

There used to be a store in the town where I went to college that had a Brian Wilson tab and a Beach Boys tab and had at least one copy of every single one of their albums...though for some reason the Beach Boys tab was in the Oldies section while the Beatles were in Rock... Huh Huh

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2010, 10:12:04 AM »

There used to be a store in the town where I went to college that had a Brian Wilson tab and a Beach Boys tab and had at least one copy of every single one of their albums...though for some reason the Beach Boys tab was in the Oldies section while the Beatles were in Rock... Huh Huh

I had this terrible habit for years... every time I saw a record shop, no matter where, I felt the compulsion to go inside and inspect the contents of the BBs section. It had to be stocked in a representative way, or else I felt resentment against the shopkeep.

But now I'm on the right pills.

Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2010, 10:48:49 PM »

I had never heard of Wishbone Ash until this thread. They haven't grown on me yet, but I will give them a fair chance.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx