gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680773 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 02:02:26 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: most unusual/unexpected place you've seen a beach boys referance  (Read 3617 times)
The Madcap
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 29, 2010, 05:47:00 PM »

for me it was last year on the PSAT. one of the paragraphs for the reading or writing section was about SMiLE.

A broken man too tough to cry
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 07:08:11 PM »

i didn't expect to hear Donald Fagen from Steely Dan singing "Help Me Rhonda" on his latest tour
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 08:39:38 PM »

for me it was last year on the PSAT. one of the paragraphs for the reading or writing section was about SMiLE.

that is awesome.
summerinparadise.flac
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 08:53:25 PM »

Mr. Show!

"I'll haunt you like a ghost"
-Brian Wilson, the Ruby song from Party.

Please support the Beach Boys without being a rude dude or grumpy gus.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 08:56:49 PM »

I remember Oswald and Lewis (on the Drew Carey Show) had a metal detector and the noise it made sounded like a thermin, as Lewis moved it up and down, it made the notes of Good Vibrations.

The subtle poster of the Summer in Paradise cover on Uncle Jessie's door in his room (Full House)   Wink

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 09:03:13 PM »

There's a great, great song by Kathy Mattea called "455 Rocket".  It's about her buying this old car with a 455 engine in it, and how fast it was.  Great song.

Anyways, halfway through the song, she wrecks the car.  The lyrics in that part are spoken, and go

"I'm telling you, I ain't ashamed; I cried when that wrecker came.
As we skid, I thought I heard the angels sing.  (Sounded like the Beach Boys)"

Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2010, 10:28:29 PM »

That is too awesome for words. Did it say who the author was? Was it Dominic Priore?
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2010, 11:05:10 PM »

Wow, I hated high school, but I'd go back for a day to take that test.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2010, 11:35:19 PM »

Funny this thread should come up as I've been looking for an opportunity to mention this. On a recent episode of The Cleveland show, Cleveland is berating Rollo's dad for being a bad father. To my amazement Rollo's dad counters with (paraphrase) "that's nuthing. The Beach Boys Brian Wilson's dad made him take a duke in a box under their Christmas tree". I wish I could remember the true exchange because it was very funny (something about a "Little Deuce Poop")

I thought the story was Murry made him curl one out on newspaper like a dog but I enjoyed the reference all the same.

* Edit. I've also just remembered there is a Simpson esp from a few years back that has a spoof BB's doing a spoof version of Kokomo. Again I forget the exact dialogue, but it seemed to be berating that the current Beach Boys are not really "The Beach Boys". An argument that refuses to go away on this board.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 06:21:51 AM by mikes beard » Logged

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
rasmus skotte
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2010, 03:24:31 AM »

Salman Rushdie's Beach Boys/Brian bit in his novel ' the Ground Beneath Her Feet' (which I quote in total in my recent SMiLE-essay). I didm't see that one coming...

Comics/cartooniés
(Fun Fun FUNniés)/Graphic NOVELties
Manga/animé
Bande dessinée
Tegneserié
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2010, 03:37:30 AM »

In the book mentioned, the BBs are lauded for their apollinic approach of pop music (say: the stylized feminine approach of BW):

From Wiki:

Camille Anna Paglia (born April 2, 1947) is an American author, teacher, and social critic. She has described herself as a dissident feminist.[2] Since 1984, Paglia has been a Professor at The University of the Arts in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Her book, Sexual Personae: Art and Decadence from Nefertiti to Emily Dickinson, published in 1990, became a bestseller.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
The Madcap
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2010, 12:08:20 PM »

Wow, I hated high school, but I'd go back for a day to take that test.
I hate it too, which is the reason why Be True To Your School isn't exactly one of my favorite Beach Boys songs. When some loud bragger tries to put e down and say his school is great, I tell him I don't give a f***

speaking of that song, they took the basic melody of it for a song on Spongebob. I guess that counts as another unexpected reference.

I'm also wondering what my fellow high schoolers thought when reading the paragraph. I'm guessing it was either "The Beach Boys? Those gay surfer guys?" or "I bet Kokomo was going to be on that album".  To answer your question, yes, I know someone who actually likes Kokomo. I know this from an exchange of dialouge I heard in 1oth grade. it went something like this
student: What's that song that goes "Aruba, Jamaica, ooo I wanna take you" called?
teacher: kokomo
This was before I was Beach Boys fan, but if it happened now, I would have gotten pissed and forced them to listen to Pet Sounds, Sunflower, and various SMiLE outtakes. 

A broken man too tough to cry
summerinparadise.flac
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2010, 12:33:51 PM »

I like Kokomo

"I'll haunt you like a ghost"
-Brian Wilson, the Ruby song from Party.

Please support the Beach Boys without being a rude dude or grumpy gus.
Vega-Table Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2010, 12:34:36 PM »

I was watching an episode of Seinfeld recently and there was a coffee-shop scene where George said something typically ludicrous ... and Jerry just came out with, "Oh, help me Rhonda!!"

Got a laugh from me   Cool
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2010, 02:15:28 PM »

i'm ok with kokomo, more cause of the childhood memories. when i was 6 (1993) i used to listen to kokomo and trying to find each of the voices that i could hear in the 1960's songs.  should be noted that i thought the guy singing "bermuda, bahama" was brian.  then i used to try and figure out which ones in the picture was the dead one (dennis).  then i got sad cause it was the cool looking one. 
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2010, 03:01:36 PM »

1997 on a aircraft before seat-back screens. Look up from reading and on the main screen is Mike Love. Turns out it was the Stars and Stripes doco. I hadn't heard or read anything about the project at that point so was caught unaware.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2010, 03:14:35 PM »

The grocery store down the street--which is not one of the big-box type grocers, but neither is it a tiny corner store--was playing the Surf's Up version of Surf's Up when I walked in once. I've also heard Little Honda in there (and a ton of other cool and often hard-to-pigeonhole stuff from across styles and eras). I assume they just pump the staff's iPods or something because some of it is way too cool to be some satellite or subscription service!

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2010, 03:16:17 PM »

When your indie grocery store starts playing "Dang Dang" on repeat as the staff stomp along rhythmically while scanning groceries, then I will be impressed!
A Million Units In Jan!
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2010, 05:32:03 PM »

Ok, there was/is this show that was on Nickelodeon that my kids watch called 'Drake and Josh'. It was about these two stepbrothers and their wild, zany adventures. Anyway the Drake kid in real life-his name is Drake Bell- writes songs and has made an album or 2, and on youtube there is a version of him singing 'Vegetables'. Now I can't stand this guys' music, and the show is ridiculous-however, this kid is probably 25 years old at the most, and for him to be singing 'Vegetables' in concert must mean that he has some sort of musical taste.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2010, 05:32:55 PM »

I remember hearing South America from Imaginations at a grocery store.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2010, 09:55:06 PM »

i hear 'Your Imagination' and 'South American' every so often in grocery store/elevator type settings.

I was at a water park in N. Carolina recently with an Australian theme (Boomerang Bay), pumping mainly the same 5 or 6 Beach Boys tunes on repeat all day long... some were covers, some not. Also a Jan & Dean song or two.

and who ever thought Snoop Dogg would reference the boys?
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2010, 12:00:02 AM »

A family friend and I were discussing poetry. She knows that I'm a "struggling poet", and she was pushing me to get my stuff published. Anyway, through the course of the conversation, we talked about many different types of poetry, and different poets. We also talked about "the muse", and my various struggles to form a poem from my brain, on to paper. One of us(probably me...I can't quite remember) mentioned Robinson Jeffers. My friend mentioned that The Beaks Of Eagles was included in a Beach Boys song. I then told her that, that was the way that I actually discovered the poem. We then ended up talking about The Beach Boys, and music in general. So, a deep conversation about the trials and tribulations of writing poetry somehow morphed into The Beach Boys.  LOL

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2010, 12:05:23 AM »

A family friend and I were discussing poetry. She knows that I'm a "struggling poet", and she was pushing me to get my stuff published. Anyway, through the course of the conversation, we talked about many different types of poetry, and different poets. We also talked about "the muse", and my various struggles to form a poem from my brain, on to paper. One of us(probably me...I can't quite remember) mentioned Robinson Jeffers. My friend mentioned that The Beaks Of Eagles was included in a Beach Boys song. I then told her that, that was the way that I actually discovered the poem. We then ended up talking about The Beach Boys, and music in general. So, a deep conversation about the trials and tribulations of writing poetry somehow morphed into The Beach Boys.  LOL

You're not aware that all roads eventually lead to the Beach Boys then?

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2010, 10:53:03 PM »

Somebody recently did My Solution for American Idol.....then I woke up.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx