gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:15:23 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 17 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brianisms Appreciation Thread  (Read 102786 times)
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: September 08, 2012, 10:11:24 PM »

I dunno ... the collaboration thing with Brian is tough because there are two different pushes. One is to credit Brian to the max, the still-genius guy, etc. That's what his people want. But there's also a push for his collaborators to use him to further their own names or careers (Andy Paley being the most recent and unfortunate example). The truth often falls in the middle, and it's especially hard when someone is writing something that's a tribute to Brian's style (like that "Standing Tall" original version). So Brian comes along, changes a few things, adds a vocal arrangement -- how much of a co-write is that? On one hand, he contributed little, but on the other hand, the original writer is using Brian's style (or earlier songs) as a template. See also the title track to "That's Why God Made the Radio" and "Soul Searchin."
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: September 08, 2012, 10:11:41 PM »

Same, thus why I (sadly) switched back from the Mother 3 avatar to the Hello Kitty avatar. Like, it's a totally different person. Where's Wirestone? What happened to him? Oh wait, he switched avatars.

Edit: Interesting timing, Stoney ;(

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: September 08, 2012, 10:23:50 PM »

Santa Barbara, CA 5/28/12

"Could you stop bouncing the beach balls?  Stop bouncing the beach balls please...."

and

Interviewer. 'Brian, whats going through your mind when you sing I Just Wasn't Made For These Times?'
Brian. 'Nothing, it just comes out of my throat.'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9VY3zbCt24
Thank God!

Brian: "I don't know what you Ya-Whoo's do at Mikey and Brucie concerts, but this is a concert in 2012...not a Getcha Back video"

Gotta have a source for this beauty! Surely a joke post? Grin

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #228 on: September 08, 2012, 11:51:04 PM »

Don't be ign'ant, bgas. Sad  Huh  Embarrassed  Cry  Undecided

i will lie awake and lie for fun and bake a cake

It's so weird, when someone changes their avatar or name, I feel like it's a whole new person.

I know, right? ^_^

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: September 09, 2012, 12:00:18 AM »

Don't be ign'ant, bgas. Sad  Huh  Embarrassed  Cry  Undecided

i will lie awake and lie for fun and bake a cake

It's so weird, when someone changes their avatar or name, I feel like it's a whole new person.

I know, right? ^_^

oh but william, I'd know you anywhere!

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #230 on: September 09, 2012, 12:04:00 AM »

LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #231 on: September 10, 2012, 01:04:07 PM »

Giving Mike a song called "Spring vacation" to write lyrics to. That has to be one of the greatest Brianism's...

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: September 10, 2012, 01:20:45 PM »

Giving Mike a song called "Spring vacation" to write lyrics to. That has to be one of the greatest Brianism's...
Classic Brian put-on, letting Mike stay lost in the endless summer.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: September 10, 2012, 01:24:21 PM »

Santa Barbara, CA 5/28/12

"Could you stop bouncing the beach balls?  Stop bouncing the beach balls please...."

and

Interviewer. 'Brian, whats going through your mind when you sing I Just Wasn't Made For These Times?'
Brian. 'Nothing, it just comes out of my throat.'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9VY3zbCt24
Thank God!

Brian: "I don't know what you Ya-Whoo's do at Mikey and Brucie concerts, but this is a concert in 2012...not a Getcha Back video"

Gotta have a source for this beauty! Surely a joke post? Grin

idk what you took from the joke but the quote was made up by me but there's a certain video of Getcha Back that has one too many beach balls being tossed and hitting the guys while they perform. Jeff F gets hit dead on...the video is from the mid-80s.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: September 11, 2012, 12:53:40 AM »

There's also a famous one, where Carl is singing "God Only Knows" at the front of the stage.  A bunch of girls are crying and screaming in the front row, doing girly things.  Brian, clearly unamused, gets up, hurries to the front and says something like "COULD YOU SHUT THE HELL UP, HE'S TRYING TO SING"

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: September 11, 2012, 01:05:29 AM »

There's also a famous one, where Carl is singing "God Only Knows" at the front of the stage.  A bunch of girls are crying and screaming in the front row, doing girly things.  Brian, clearly unamused, gets up, hurries to the front and says something like "COULD YOU SHUT THE HELL UP, HE'S TRYING TO SING"

Please tell me there's video of this.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: September 11, 2012, 01:35:57 AM »

I think it's during the 1967 Hawaii show, but I could be wrong about that.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #237 on: September 11, 2012, 04:43:01 AM »

I think it's during the 1967 Hawaii show, but I could be wrong about that.

Yeah, it's from one of the two shows. I don't think though that Brian got up and walked to the front. I haven't listened to it in a long time but it sounds like he was yelling it into his microphone while still sitting at the organ

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #238 on: September 11, 2012, 01:30:38 PM »

"HE'S SINGIN', COOL IT!"

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: September 11, 2012, 01:43:26 PM »

"HE'S SINGIN', COOL IT!"
Yep, that's what he yelled.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: September 11, 2012, 01:44:54 PM »

Picturing a bearded late 70s Brian getting up and screaming "COULD YOU SHUT THE HELL UP, HE'S TRYING TO SING" painted a far more amusing picture than this. ;(

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #241 on: September 11, 2012, 10:12:45 PM »

It's even funnier if you picture him juggling.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #242 on: September 16, 2012, 05:45:38 AM »

TheDumbAngel posed this in the picture thread. Question about "favorite groups" and "individual singers" totally Brianisms !!  Grin

- Jack Rieley
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: September 16, 2012, 08:52:16 AM »

Brian has hazel eyes? What publicist wrote this up?
Thanks for posting, though. Do you have the rest of the group?
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #244 on: September 16, 2012, 09:23:08 AM »

Thanks for posting, though. Do you have the rest of the group?

No, sorry. As mentioned, I didn't post this originally but TheDumbAngel over in the picture-thread in the media section

- Jack Rieley
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: September 16, 2012, 10:06:50 AM »

The Bruce & Brian questionaire is from 16 magazine, published in the fall of '66. Another issue of 16 from around that time had questionaires filled out by Al and Mike. All four of these were quoted on another thread here about five years ago. If Carl and Dennis had ones published they don't seem to be on the board.

Brian's liking The Twilight Zone - wonder what his fave episodes would be - kind of ties in with his saying in the 1990s that Mirage was his favorite movie. I saw Mirage back in the '70s on TV - it stars Gregory Peck and Diane Baker, and Walter Matthau plays an amusingly goofy detective. George Kennedy goes around killing people with his halitosis. (That, for those of you who came of age after 1990, refers to an old ad campaign he did.)

Al's questionaire is worth looking at. He says his fave male singer is Bobby Goldsboro! He also says his favorite male actor is Richard Dunn. I don't know who this would be - IMDB shows there was a guy with that name who appeared in some very small roles in movies and TV in the '40s and '50s but no one else more prominent is listed there.  Maybe he was Al's cousin or something.
The Dumb Angel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: September 16, 2012, 11:07:21 AM »

TheDumbAngel posed this in the picture thread. Question about "favorite groups" and "individual singers" totally Brianisms !!  Grin

Gotta love his answer for 'Home Info'.  Cheesy

"It's furnished in 'Brian-Modern'. A mixture of everything."
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: September 16, 2012, 04:04:10 PM »

New one!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0ShwBvpnew

Al: "We were recording Wouldn't It Be Nice, Good Vibrations and a host of other songs simultaneously..."

Brian: "And Barbara Ann!!!!!"

Al:"Noo, different time."

Even Mike cracked up.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: September 16, 2012, 05:15:59 PM »

Also from the CNN story. Mike joking but ohhh so true.

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/09/14/world/asia/hong-kong-beach-boys-stout/index.html

Love and Jardine then take to a small nearby stage and strike up an impromptu version of "California Girls" (with Al on bass and Mike doing vocals). Johnston then appears out of nowhere to play the piano.

But where was Wilson?

"Off to a buffet somewhere," quips Love with a smile.

Gohi
« Reply #249 on: September 16, 2012, 05:35:36 PM »

Awww, Al correcting Brian made me sad. Sad
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 17 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx