gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:47:11 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 17 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brianisms Appreciation Thread  (Read 102811 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: September 03, 2010, 02:22:16 AM »

I have mucho love for SOS but I do wish Carl had booked the entire group for a session to do the backing vocals instead of just grabbing whoever was in the studio that day. The obvious single and ideal kick off track for Holland, but it's still the weakest song on the album.

Time was of the essence. The album release had been put back because Reprise wanted a single.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 03, 2010, 03:40:50 AM »

Fair enough but I still wonder why Mike or Al didn't turn up. What could they have been doing that was more important than finishing off what was make or break for their next record getting a release or not?

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 03, 2010, 09:32:50 AM »

"Hey Mike, do you need Maharishi robe to sing this or what?" - Brian
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: September 03, 2010, 11:23:50 AM »

wonder why Mike or Al didn't turn up. What could they have been doing that was more important...?

Casper whispered into Mike's ear: "Your horoscope indicates that today would be the best time to buy another convertible."

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 03, 2010, 11:26:22 AM »

At which point Mike levitated over to the nearest used car dealership!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 02:30:54 AM by mikes beard » Logged

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 04, 2010, 02:13:16 AM »

wonder why Mike or Al didn't turn up. What could they have been doing that was more important...?

Casper whispered into Mike's ear: "Your horoscope indicates that today would be the best time to buy another convertible."

LOL

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 04, 2010, 04:11:38 PM »

If you've ever listened to the pet sounds sessions you probably you've probably heard Brian talk about "How To Speak Hip" the comedy album. I recently got it, if you like the Brian's laid back hippie slang you should listen to it, it's pretty funny.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 05, 2010, 01:45:32 AM »

You know what? We should do this with all the members! "Love and peace was ok, but there was a WAR going on!".  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 01, 2011, 09:43:42 PM »

I hate to bump an old topic, but this is a good one.  I just found this today, I apologize if it's already been posted.

so I find this interview with Brian, at

http://www.americansongwriter.com/2009/01/brian-wilson-gods-messenger/

It's full of great Brianisms, Brian's really on top of things and giving good answers to all the questions, bringing up other things, and really into the interview.  The interviewer asks him

How do you manage to balance craftsmanship with pure inspiration?

and Brian replies:

"The two work together. When you’re inspired, you write a lot better than when you’re not inspired. Music is beautiful. Whenever you play music, you feel better. And whenever you write a song, you feel ten times better when you’re done writing it. “Wouldn’t It Be Nice” was one of my most inspired songs. “Ding Dang” is another inspired one. "

Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 01, 2011, 09:54:51 PM »

SAME INTERVIEW

Interviewer is playing word association

"Surf's Up" ?

Brian: "That was written with Van Dyke Parks in 1966 and it was done on drugs. "
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: April 01, 2011, 11:56:48 PM »

“Wouldn’t It Be Nice” was one of my most inspired songs. “Ding Dang” is another inspired one. "

LOL
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 02, 2011, 01:05:05 AM »

or

(insert song here)

Brian: "That was wriiten in (insert year here) and it was done on drugs. "

Works well too! Sad
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 01:05:57 AM by TheOther Anonymous » Logged
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 02, 2011, 01:09:22 AM »

“Wouldn’t It Be Nice” was one of my most inspired songs. “Ding Dang” is another inspired one. "

LOL

Essential! You never know whether he's putting one on, or means it. In this case, I'd certainly go for option number 1, but...  LOL

Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 02, 2011, 06:49:08 AM »

Diang Dang is all about the feel.... inspired? Absolutely!
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 02, 2011, 08:50:26 AM »

I just find it amazing that you never know what he's going to say.  Basically, there's about three things going on.

When you watch Brian talking, you have

1. An expectation of what they're talking about, you're operating in your scheme of things, how you see the subject, what you expect and would say.

2. What Brian LOOKS like.  He often looks disinterested, or he looks like an old man, or whatever.

3. What Brian himself is thinking.  Out of nowhere, after talking about "Wouldn't it Be Nice" (expected) the next thing out of his mouth is about Ding Dang (Not Expected).

It's great entertainment watching or reading an interview with him.  Also you know, sometimes I think or others think "Oh hell, he probably doesn't even remember those songs" but he proves over and over again that not only does he remember most of his songs, but he considers many of them to be on par with his greatest successes.  To Brian, it makes just as much sense to talk to a reporter about "Wouldn't it be Nice" as it does to talk about "Ding Dang".  

Gotta love that guy.  

Like Don said, there's always the possibility too that he has an INCREDIBLY dry sense of humour, like the world has never seen.  So he could be making a comment about "Well, if you want to talk about old songs, lets talk about old songs".  He may be having a laugh on all of us. 
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 08:52:07 AM by Ron » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #140 on: April 02, 2011, 05:24:40 PM »

Like Don said, there's always the possibility too that he has an INCREDIBLY dry sense of humour, like the world has never seen.

That's my understanding. Good example...1980,middle of a serious interview, busts out with "I like food".
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 01:28:57 AM by Are "Enemies" Acoustic? » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 03, 2011, 03:04:17 AM »

Like Don said, there's always the possibility too that he has an INCREDIBLY dry sense of humour, like the world has never seen.

That's my understanding. Good example...1980,middle of a serious interview, busts out with "I like food".

Thanks for citing, Ron and AEA -

yes. Although in his defenseless periods, he may have been making really odd remarks - a person who's heavily under the influence, and highly fearful at the same time, and unhygienic, may be so immersed in feelings of 'God I wish I were somewhere else on my own!', that he loses all concentration on what he's actually saying - Brian also must have countless situations where he's on top. I mean, a news hack who's just asking questions a bit predictably, or aimlessly, can count on the totally unexpected, or contrariwise, on the worst of the worst of clichés.

I like that. It makes me laugh so much. One of my all time favourites: his stance on the movie: Norbit.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 03:05:27 AM by The Heartical Don » Logged

puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 25, 2011, 06:53:03 PM »

this is a great thread

why isn't there a site devoted to this stuff?
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 25, 2011, 09:13:18 PM »

Lead on, good brother.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 25, 2011, 09:41:45 PM »

Press conference discussing Dennis's death and the bands future. 1984

'For me the mourning is over' he said 'As far as I am concerned, nothing is going to hold back the ball of wax' It's still a go'.

and

Man it's just Brian forced to conform to the lame ass culture around him and casting knowing looks from his intelligent eyes to those that are aware that "LOL YEAR I KNOW THIS IS RIDICULOUS BUT JUST DIG IT MAN"

.....One and the same? LOL

Joshing with ya Ghost. Wink
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #145 on: August 26, 2011, 01:16:11 AM »

Brian's certainly got an offbeat sense of humour, and I think he enjoys confusing people.

One I overheard myself

"Darian, is my sense of humour in your case, your recorder, your rucksack? I've lost my sense of humour and I can't find it.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 26, 2011, 10:00:03 AM »

Can't forget the interview with Zooey Deschanel where at the end Brian goes, "You're a really pretty girl."

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
ghost
« Reply #147 on: August 26, 2011, 11:17:43 AM »

Can't forget the interview with Zooey Deschanel where at the end Brian goes, "You're a really pretty girl."

Maybe Brian should team up with Zooey for songspiration? She can just sit nearby and be looked at while he writes.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 29, 2011, 07:00:32 AM »

I think Brian and Mike should have a standup comedy show together.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 29, 2011, 07:14:40 AM »

deleted

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 17 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx