gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:10:45 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 17 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brianisms Appreciation Thread  (Read 102805 times)
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 31, 2010, 09:05:04 PM »

There was a reason that Sail On Sailor went to #49 on the U.S. charts.  It was good.

Hmmm.  Can you explain a little further please.  I'm usually an optimistic type of guy but #49 isn't really very good.  I mean we're hopin' for #1, 49 isn't even close.  So I would say the reason Sail on Sailor ONLY went to #49 on the U.S. charts is that it was not that good. 

I mean it's a cool song but it's kind of half assed.  If not for the saving grace of the production and the incredible vocal hook they do over... and over... and over... and over... then over over over over at the end... there wouldn't be much of a song there. 
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 31, 2010, 10:21:23 PM »

Well....see.....when the Sail On Sailor single was first released in early 1973, it went to #79. When it was released again two years later it went to #49. Not bad out of the Billboard Top 100, and obviously Warner's was capitalizing on the new resurgence in popularity of The Beach Boys after the Endless Summer album the year before.  #49 was the highest chart position in six years for a Beach Boys single in the U.S.

I remember I bought the Holland album when it came out. I took it over to a friend's house who would always buy the latest new albums (Led Zeppelin/Floyd/Hendrix/Stones/Allman Bros. etc) but would never consider buying a new Beach Boys album. To him, the Beach Boys were passe and just not cool anymore. I smoked a J with him and we played the Holland album. He was bored and told me to take the album off his turntable. I flipped it over anyway and played "Sail On Sailor". He said the only good song on the whole album worth listening to was "Sail On Sailor". I valued his opinion. It's ended up on a few greatest hits comps since then.

Always liked Sail On Sailor on the '73 "In Concert" album. The beginning where Dennis encouraged everybody to clap along. The song rocked live.

What was this thread about again?

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #102 on: September 01, 2010, 02:41:22 AM »

Half assed?

You've pretty much undercut everything you've ever posted or ever will post...
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 01, 2010, 03:05:20 AM »

Half assed?

LOL I'm not always in the mood for SOS, but when I am, it's a blues song of the highest order.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 01, 2010, 06:20:11 AM »

Half assed?

Oh well, and I was doing so good, too! 

BTW, what's your favorite part of the song?  The hook, right?  The one that's exactly the same all 30 times they play it.  OHHHH, is it the production?  Isn't that like the only thing still there from Brian's version?  The song is just half assed, sorry. 
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: September 01, 2010, 06:27:59 AM »

Half assed?

BTW, what's your favorite part of the song?  The hook, right?  The one that's exactly the same all 30 times they play it.  OHHHH, is it the production?  Isn't that like the only thing still there from Brian's version?  The song is just half assed, sorry. 

Ron, of course you're entitled to your opinion. I am a huge dub reggae fan, and have lots of LPs and CDs with it. Even the best of friends continue to raise eyebrows, calling it 'all the same', 'boring', 'predictable', and, yes, 'half-assed'. No problem, as long as I can discern a Lee Perry 1969 production from a 1981 one, or remember how long exactly the extended version of 'Soon Forward' by Gregory Isaacs is (I have the word 'trainspotter' engraved in my DNA, a doctor once told me).

GoofyJeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 01, 2010, 09:30:59 AM »

from the show at Summerfest 2001, Milwaukee WI

"It's good to be here.  It's good to be at this place here!"

"Because of the attitude of a few mental dinosaurs intent on exploiting our initial success, Brian's huge talent has never been fully appreciated in America and the potential of the group has been stifled.... If the Beatles had suffered this kind of misrepresentation, they would have never got past singing 'Please Please Me' and 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' and leaping around in Beatle suits."
-Dennis Wilson, 1970
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 01, 2010, 09:34:55 AM »

I think one should distinguish between "Sail on Sailor" as a record -- which is unquestionably terrific -- and "Sail on Sailor" as a song -- which is kind of repetitive. Underwritten melodically and overwritten lyrically.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 01, 2010, 09:40:51 AM »

from the show at Summerfest 2001, Milwaukee WI

"It's good to be here.  It's good to be at this place here!"

LOL ...much better than Ronnie Reagan in Venezuela at an official banquet: 'I raise a toast to the wonderful people of Colombia!'

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: September 01, 2010, 10:25:58 AM »

Brian at Guilfest, last summer:

"Hello, London !"

Guildford is roughly 35 miles SW of said metropolis.  Grin

To be fair, he corrected himself a minute or two later.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 01, 2010, 10:27:55 AM »

Brian at Guilfest, last summer:

"Hello, London !"

Guildford is roughly 35 miles SW of said metropolis.  Grin

To be fair, he corrected himself a minute or two later.

Good to see that Brian sees things in a broad perspective. More people should do that.

Smilin Ed H
« Reply #111 on: September 01, 2010, 11:11:21 AM »

Don't apologise.  You're wrong.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 01, 2010, 12:35:11 PM »

"Underwritten melodically and overwritten lyrically."

So the happy mediium for that is...............a good song.

And Sail On Sailor as a record is terrific  Roll Eyes

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 01, 2010, 12:51:44 PM »

I think one should distinguish between "Sail on Sailor" as a record -- which is unquestionably terrific -- and "Sail on Sailor" as a song -- which is kind of repetitive. Underwritten melodically and overwritten lyrically.

OH SNAP! Somebody not afraid to admit they agree Smiley
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 01, 2010, 12:53:39 PM »

Half assed?

Ron, of course you're entitled to your opinion. I am a huge dub reggae fan, and have lots of LPs and CDs with it. Even the best of friends continue to raise eyebrows, calling it 'all the same', 'boring', 'predictable', and, yes, 'half-assed'. No problem, as long as I can discern a Lee Perry 1969 production from a 1981 one, or remember how long exactly the extended version of 'Soon Forward' by Gregory Isaacs is (I have the word 'trainspotter' engraved in my DNA, a doctor once told me).

Yeah, but Dub Reggae whatever the hell that is is probably great compared to Sail On Sailor.  Maybe i'm just not intelligent enough to get the lyrics, can somebody explain to me why they're any good?  It all seems a bit overdone to me. 
Menace Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 01, 2010, 02:20:42 PM »

I'm not crazy about SOS, either.  I prefer The Trader or Funky Pretty.

"Jeff, you care." --BW
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: September 01, 2010, 08:30:33 PM »

Half assed?

Yeah, but Dub Reggae whatever the hell that is is probably great compared to Sail On Sailor.  Maybe i'm just not intelligent enough to get the lyrics, can somebody explain to me why they're any good?  It all seems a bit overdone to me. 
Maybe it's that you're too intelligent to get them. They're overdone as hell. What happened was, Jack Rieley essentially got out a rhyming dictionary and twenty minutes later, Sail On Sailor had complete lyrics. The over-verbose approach worked well with Feel Flows and Long Promised Road, but in this case, it does cheapen the song quite a bit. To wit:

Seldom stumble, never crumble
Try to tumble, life's a rumble
Feel the stinging I've been given
Never ending, unrelenting
Heartbreak searing, always fearing
Never clearing persevering
Sail on, sail on, sailor

Always needing, even bleeding
Never feeding all my feelings
Damn the thunder, must I blunder
There's no wonder all I'm under
Stop the crying and the lying
And the sighing and my dying

- B00ts
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: September 02, 2010, 04:23:54 PM »

Was it the Howard Stern Show where Brian was asked if he had ever slept with Ronnie Spector?
'Not yet' I believe was the reply.

Yes, it was the Stern show, & yes "Not yet" was his reply, but the question wasn't about Ronnie — it was ALL The Ronettes!

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 02, 2010, 05:07:03 PM »

Brian: "Hypnotize me, Van Dyke,"
VDP: "Cut the sh*t, Brian, you're a songwriter. That's what you do. And I want you to sit down and write a song for me."
Brian: "Hypnotize me, Van Dyke, and make me believe I'm not crazy, convince me I'm not crazy."
VDP: "Cut the sh*t, Brian, and write a middle eight."
Brian: "What's the name of the tune?"
VDP: "Sail On Sailor."

OK, how 'bout these lyrics then.  Will the judges take this?

I am a singer
A gospel singer
I sing for people
I sing for pleasure
Only a dreamer
Who came from nowhere
Sail on, wail on sailor

Over the cities
I see the rooftops
To soothe my poor soul
I thought a whole lot

Often frightened
Unenlightened
Sail on, wail on sailor
Sail on, wail on sailor

Just like my mama said.
Hey, there's a way
But you gotta get yourself out
That ghetto today

You might stumble
You could fumble
When you're down though
Don't feel under"

And the thunder
And the lightnin'
Lord it's frightnin'
When you're coked out

Heartbreak city
Ain't so pretty
When you're down the
Nitty gritty

Sail on, wail on sailor
Sail on, wail on sailor
Sail on, wail on sailor

And the thunder
And the lightnin'
Lord it's frightnin'
When you're coked out

Heartbreak city
Ain't so pretty
When you're down the
Nitty gritty

Sail on, wail on sailor
Sail on, wail on sailor
Sail on, wail on sailor

Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 02, 2010, 05:59:43 PM »

most covers of SOS i find better than the original.  So there's something def not right about it for me. 
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: September 02, 2010, 06:19:43 PM »

Maybe Brian hates that song because it hits too close to home. It's like an exposition of where Brian was at in the early 70s, especially the KGB version (which is like Brian Wilson meets Randy Newman with just a little more funk and was done with Ray Kennedy): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IRG24Ejcq4
If there was a song like that about my problems I would probably find it overbearing, too.
Wow. I read those lyrics on here once, and I thought they were joke/parody lyrics. I mean, "To sooth my soar throat, I pop a cough drop"? It's actually reall? What a trip. Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 03, 2010, 12:29:20 AM »

Man that sucked hard!! Kennedy should not have his name on the credits to the BB's version period.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 03, 2010, 12:36:06 AM »

My problems "Sail on Sailor": it sounds cheesy. A song like that needs some real soul, and the sounds they used are almost kind of cartoony. It sounds like a duck is quacking at the end of the chorus at 0:57. Some of the instrument parts are way too happy and don't have an emotional impact. It also feels like the harmonies could've been better.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 03, 2010, 12:52:16 AM »

I have mucho love for SOS but I do wish Carl had booked the entire group for a session to do the backing vocals instead of just grabbing whoever was in the studio that day. The obvious single and ideal kick off track for Holland, but it's still the weakest song on the album.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 03, 2010, 01:15:38 AM »

BTW, the best performance of SOS for me was the one done in BWPS, live, Amsterdam 2004. Loud, better sung, and the impact was really HUGE.

(BTW: sitting in the very front row did help a lot...)

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 17 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx