gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:48:00 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 17 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brianisms Appreciation Thread  (Read 102781 times)
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 28, 2010, 08:30:43 PM »

Could you imagine how Brian would introduce his more odd songs? like: Hey Little Tomboy, Roller Skating Child, or Lazy Lizzy?

I mean, what would he say?: This is a song I wrote about who girl who wanted to be a boy, but I wanted her to be a girl...so I helped her shave her legs for the very first time.  Grin

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 28, 2010, 08:48:23 PM »

Sounds like a great money making idea...hmmm....

BRIANISMS THAT MAKE SMILEYSMILERS SMILE!

25 Pounds for 48 pages is the going rate I understand for similar books on amazon.
Jason
« Reply #77 on: August 28, 2010, 09:13:52 PM »

Sometimes I wonder what would have happened if someone turned Brian Wilson and Serge Gainsbourg on each other and had them write songs together.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 29, 2010, 01:31:47 AM »

There's also this TV programme in which Pet Sounds is discussed, Brian and George Martin are present behind a mixing desk. Brian explains how he actually used the knobs to create the eventual outcome. We hear fade-ins and outs of PS.

Then Sir George hits a few buttons.

Brian, acting a very surprised man (or he was surprised): 'George, you did a much better job than I ever did!'

Martin, being polite: 'Oh no Brian, I'm only playing around a bit here'.

Brian: 'no, it sounds so much better with you at the desk!'

I mean, what is this? Is he acting that he claims Martin to be the better producer? Out of fearful respect? Or is he joking?

What is his goal in playing that underachiever part? Or is it a total lack of self-confidence?

You never can tell.

(did we do 'Norbit' already?, and does 'My Friend Bob' belong in here?)

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 29, 2010, 01:33:16 AM »

There's also this TV programme in which Pet Sounds is discussed, Brian and George Martin are present behind a mixing desk. Brian explains how he actually used the knobs to create the eventual outcome. We hear fade-ins and outs of PS.

Brian, acting a very surprised man (or he was surprised): 'George, you did a much better job than I ever did!'

I mean, what is this? Is he acting that he claims Martin to be the better producer? Out of fearful respect? Or is he joking?

What is his goal in playing that underachiever part? Or is it a total lack of self-confidence?

You never can tell.

I keep hearing this Norbit bit. Is that actually Brian's favorite movie?

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 29, 2010, 04:40:59 AM »

Someone should really collect these these and make them into a book.
its been done, at least up to the early nineties (i think)
check THIShttp://www.amazon.com/Beach-Boys-Their-Own-Words/dp/0711939403/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1283081969&sr=8-1

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 29, 2010, 05:01:37 AM »

You never can tell.

I keep hearing this Norbit bit. Is that actually Brian's favorite movie?

It went like this:

'Brian, what was the last movie that you saw?'

'Norbit'

'And what is your all-time favourite movie?'

'Norbit'

[/Brians Most Uninterested Mood Mode]

smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 29, 2010, 05:58:36 AM »

in the Goin' Platinum KTSA docu (1980) there's an interview with the group (or just with Carl and Brian) in which Brian is telling something, and Carl exclaims to his brother "God, you're so great"... to which after a bit of silence Brian replies "I like food", which makes Carl crack up (and me too). Can't find it on YouTube unfortunately.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 29, 2010, 06:07:02 AM »

That video creeps me out. It's like they're trying too hard to be supportive of Brian, or to appear supportive on TV. He wasn't being that funny to laugh like that.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 29, 2010, 06:16:23 AM »

That video creeps me out. It's like they're trying too hard to be supportive of Brian, or to appear supportive on TV. He wasn't being that funny to laugh like that.

Reminds me of the inner sleeve words, a familial 'tribute' to Brian. So supportive, so appreciative, that it's a syrupy insult.

PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: August 29, 2010, 06:36:33 AM »

I was at that show.

Brian - Now, this next song I don't like. We have, like, what, 35 songs to do tonight? Out of 35 songs this is the one song that I don't like singing. I mean, it's just such a negative, shitty...
Scott - Should we DO it?

I was at that show too, & remember it as Jeff who asked that, not Scott.

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 29, 2010, 06:48:52 AM »

Maybe Brian hates that song because it hits too close to home. It's like an exposition of where Brian was at in the early 70s, especially the KGB version (which is like Brian Wilson meets Randy Newman with just a little more funk and was done with Ray Kennedy): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IRG24Ejcq4
If there was a song like that about my problems I would probably find it overbearing, too.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 06:50:02 AM by Dada » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: August 29, 2010, 07:13:33 AM »

Brian could do a lot worse than to get these guys to do it for him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnZK1zFFyKI&feature=related

I'd quite forgotten how amazing they were that night.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: August 29, 2010, 11:49:01 AM »

Maybe Brian hates that song because it hits too close to home. It's like an exposition of where Brian was at in the early 70s...
If there was a song like that about my problems I would probably find it overbearing, too.

I don't think it's that complicated; I think it's just hard for him to sing. Most of BW's life was hell, & the songs may or may not remind him of his problems/specific events.

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 29, 2010, 06:44:23 PM »

I think Sail On Sailor just takes him back to a time he'd rather not think about, VDP telling him to cut the merda.

I remember on the podcasts for Summer Songs or one of the new GH albums, they asked Brian to talk about It's OK, and he seemed like he didn't talk about it, a difficult time in his life, obviously. I mean, how many songs from 73-80 has he performed in the past 10 years?:

Good Timin' (because of its connection to Carl)
Sail On Sailor (started around the BW tribute when H&V was first performed)
the Night was So Young (on PS tour I believe), of course some people in the band don't like the album, *cough* Jeff* cough*
California (when Al was on tour with him)
Marcella (he loves that song)
Ding Dang (randomly on QVC special)

Of course I could come up with a longer list of songs from those years I'd rather hear him perform:
Goin On
Shortenin' Bread
Airplane
My Diane (too personal though)
Matchpoint of our Love
That Same Old Song
Had to Phone Ya
Almost Summer

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 29, 2010, 06:46:40 PM »

Oh god, please tell me there is footage of him performing "Dang Dang" and "The Night Was So Young" online somewhere!
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 29, 2010, 07:17:55 PM »

Oh, also, he performed Back Home!

I've listened to The Night was so Young more than Ding Dang, I love the vocals for INWSY, especially Jeff's

~post of the century~
-Mikie

summerinparadise.flac
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 29, 2010, 07:19:17 PM »

Oh god, please tell me there is footage of him performing "Dang Dang" and "The Night Was So Young" online somewhere!

I need it more than I need pictures of Bruce with the moustache.

"I'll haunt you like a ghost"
-Brian Wilson, the Ruby song from Party.

Please support the Beach Boys without being a rude dude or grumpy gus.
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 29, 2010, 07:32:11 PM »

Maybe Brian will be mustachioed (or bearded) and shirtless too!
?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 29, 2010, 08:30:25 PM »

Reminds me of the inner sleeve words, a familial 'tribute' to Brian. So supportive, so appreciative, that it's a syrupy insult.

That video never struck me that way.  They were brothers.  Carl was enjoying Brian's company and to me it seemed completely genuine.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 31, 2010, 03:33:14 PM »

I've always heard Brian say he doesn't like Sail on Sailor because the lyrics are a mess and like 8 people wrote it.  I don't think there's any deep reason he's against it.  The 'style' it's written in isn't really his type of thing, either.  The harmony is even kind of simnple, only in the title line mainly.  I like it, but maybe he just thinks the song is pretty shitty?
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 31, 2010, 04:13:02 PM »

Was it the Howard Stern Show where Brian was asked if he had ever slept with Ronnie Spector?

'Not yet' I believe was the reply.

Classic!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 31, 2010, 04:17:45 PM »

For Sail on Sailor -- there's just not much song there. There's a "feel" and a great production by Carl.

I think of Live Let Live as an attempt to rewrite the song with more harmonic interest (there's a contrasting bridge, for one thing) and Van Dyke lyrics that aren't messed with by others.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 31, 2010, 05:05:09 PM »

i reaally enjoy that bridge in live let live
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 31, 2010, 05:18:38 PM »

There was a reason that Sail On Sailor went to #49 on the U.S. charts.  It was good.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 17 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx