gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680553 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 03:58:57 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brianisms Appreciation Thread  (Read 102473 times)
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #325 on: March 16, 2015, 01:10:12 PM »

Thanks to shadownoze for the link!

Brian's got asked about his favorite scene in the L&M movie:

http://shadownoze.tumblr.com/post/113749469568/q-a-at-sxsw-brian-wilson-is-asked-what-his
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #326 on: March 16, 2015, 04:20:04 PM »

Brian's always been a hilarious guy, and yeah, treads that line where people aren't sure if it's a joke or not. I love that sh*t.

Plus, not to sound like goat boy, but I'm pretty sure any Elizabeth Banks sex scene would be a highlight in any movie I saw too.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #327 on: March 16, 2015, 04:54:25 PM »

That line about 'give me a better handshake' reminds me of when he corrected the salutation he wrote on Sheryl Crow's record for her...

It was Don Henley, not Sheryl Crow.  Smiley

I have heard this but don't remember.  What album did he sign for Henley and what was the inscription?  What were the other details of the story, like the year, etc.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #328 on: March 16, 2015, 05:22:48 PM »

Thanks to shadownoze for the link!

Brian's got asked about his favorite scene in the L&M movie:

http://shadownoze.tumblr.com/post/113749469568/q-a-at-sxsw-brian-wilson-is-asked-what-his

Absolutely hilarious

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
shadownoze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #329 on: March 16, 2015, 06:08:22 PM »

Plus, not to sound like goat boy, but I'm pretty sure any Elizabeth Banks sex scene would be a highlight in any movie I saw too.

Well, not to spoil anything, but it's not even a sex scene that Brian is referring to...which may be why Cusack found it so hilarious.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #330 on: March 16, 2015, 08:13:15 PM »

That line about 'give me a better handshake' reminds me of when he corrected the salutation he wrote on Sheryl Crow's record for her...

It was Don Henley, not Sheryl Crow.  Smiley

I have heard this but don't remember.  What album did he sign for Henley and what was the inscription?  What were the other details of the story, like the year, etc.
Weird, I too recall it was a female songwriter. Wrong. Entered "Don Henley" & found this:

Time to trot out the all-time #1 BW signing story (I paraphrase slightly) - he was autographing something for Don Henley, and wrote "To a great musician", started to hand it back... then stopped, crossed out "great" and wrote "good" above. I'm told Henley's face was a picture.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #331 on: March 16, 2015, 08:25:14 PM »

The reason he's able to do that so 'deadpan' is because he embodies 'cool'.  A lot of people try to be cool, and do things that they think are cool, but the truly cool are cool because they. just. are. cool.  He didn't laugh or smile or anything while the entire fucking ROOM was going bananas, because he couldnt' give two shits whether the room went bananas.  He said what he said because he wanted to say it, not to get a reaction. 

It's why he's so bad at interviews, he doesn't want to talk about what you want to talk about; what you want to talk about isn't important to him, because he's fucking COOL

Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #332 on: March 17, 2015, 10:21:17 AM »

I just got the new version of The Wilson Project, a title I've been looking for for years. That book is so full of Brianisms it isn't funny. (Well, actually, they ARE funny....) Too many to post!! A couple of highlights from memory:

[in the middle of a conversation] "I farted."

[paraphrased; too lazy to get the book and find the passage] "When I woke up this morning I went over to the piano and started writing a song. I don't know why, but it gave me a hard-on. I had to go into the bathroom and masturbate."

I am currently laughing uncontrollably.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #333 on: March 26, 2015, 01:42:51 PM »

Q: What was the greatest piece of advice you ever recieved?

Brian: my dad told me when you mow the lawn mow it twice to make it better.....yep mow it twice

Facebook Q&A 26 March 2015
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #334 on: March 26, 2015, 08:17:21 PM »

Greatest.  Advice.  Ever. 

Now, i've met some cool people; but Brian Wilson has met some GREAT people.  I mean his list of acquaintances and associates is a veritable who's who of 20th century celebrities, politicians, musicians, philosophers, activists, businessmen, poets.  If you're famous for being great in any of those categories, you've met Brian Wilson, and he's talked to you.  No doubt, some of the conversations likely delved into the fantastic.

out of all of those people Brian has met and conversed with, the absolute greatest advice he ever got was you should mow the grass twice.
Jesse Reiswig
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #335 on: March 27, 2015, 11:57:40 AM »

But think about how that applies in so many ways: I mean, lay down the Beach Boys' vocals, but then lay them down again, on top of the first ones, and it's really sparkling. You can start to see pretty quickly how this advice takes on many layers of meaning.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #336 on: March 27, 2015, 11:18:40 PM »

Possibly.

I was thinking the other day about one of the funniest things I ever saw him do.  We've probably already mentioned it on this thread, but i'll mention it again in case anybody missed it.

On either the Beautiful Dreamer documentary or that accompaning SMiLE DVD they had some footage showing Brian and the band rehearsing the live version of SMiLE.  So the whole underlying theme was that it appeared Brian was kind of apprehensive about all of it, they mentioned that before Brian got to the rehearsal all the power cut off and it might have freaked him out if he was there, etc.

Anyways.  Basically the band and Brian are playing completely through the Suite, and Brian's not really that into it.  They're on a soundstage somewhere.   When the band gets to "Good Vibrations" (the last song) Brian's singing or doing his part, and as soon as he gets done with his lyrics, the band is still playing the rest of the song, of course.  He points at Melinda who's standing over by the wall, makes a little steering wheel gesture (like Mike does), then points at the door. 

The band wasn't even finished playing the song, lol

The first time I saw that I rewound it and watched it probably 5 times.  Easily the most hilarious thing I've ever seen him do.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #337 on: March 28, 2015, 05:24:08 AM »

Possibly.

I was thinking the other day about one of the funniest things I ever saw him do.  We've probably already mentioned it on this thread, but i'll mention it again in case anybody missed it.

On either the Beautiful Dreamer documentary or that accompaning SMiLE DVD they had some footage showing Brian and the band rehearsing the live version of SMiLE.  So the whole underlying theme was that it appeared Brian was kind of apprehensive about all of it, they mentioned that before Brian got to the rehearsal all the power cut off and it might have freaked him out if he was there, etc.

Anyways.  Basically the band and Brian are playing completely through the Suite, and Brian's not really that into it.  They're on a soundstage somewhere.   When the band gets to "Good Vibrations" (the last song) Brian's singing or doing his part, and as soon as he gets done with his lyrics, the band is still playing the rest of the song, of course.  He points at Melinda who's standing over by the wall, makes a little steering wheel gesture (like Mike does), then points at the door. 

The band wasn't even finished playing the song, lol

The first time I saw that I rewound it and watched it probably 5 times.  Easily the most hilarious thing I've ever seen him do.

Both hilarious and somewhat sad at the same time, typical BW stuff. Smiley
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #338 on: March 28, 2015, 05:43:28 AM »

Brian was introduced to a female UK fan, and she was wearing a rather low cut top. (I'll hide her name to spare her blushes.)

"Brian, this is *****".

Brian: "Both of them?"
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 05:44:19 AM by Ang Jones » Logged
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #339 on: March 30, 2015, 01:24:52 PM »

From the twitter Q&A going on right now:

Q: @thatbeatleskid: What's your favorite track from Love You? #AskBrianWilson

A: @BrianWilsonLive: .@thatbeatleskid "Love You"
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #340 on: March 30, 2015, 02:16:23 PM »

Twitter Q&A March 30 2015
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 04:43:51 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #341 on: March 31, 2015, 06:11:10 AM »

Brian was introduced to a female UK fan, and she was wearing a rather low cut top. (I'll hide her name to spare her blushes.)

"Brian, this is *****".

Pretty sure I know who it was. Air Hostess ?  Grin

Wish to hell I could recall which UK rock mag it was, maybe ten years ago or thereabouts, but Brian was being asked about Dennis and his music. I paraphrase, of course, but his reply went something like:

"Well, he was a real man, he had intercourse with many women - Mike's wife, Al's wife, my wife..."

And yes, he said "intercourse", not "sex".  Shocked
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 06:28:17 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #342 on: March 31, 2015, 07:43:56 AM »

Well, perhaps he just meant conversations  Grin
The first meaning of intercourse is:
Communication or dealings between individuals or groups.
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #343 on: April 01, 2015, 11:30:33 AM »

Remember the quote about Dennis.  Great that Brian could maintain his cool about it.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 11:36:22 AM by Ang Jones » Logged
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #344 on: April 01, 2015, 11:34:25 AM »

"Brian, this is *****".

Pretty sure I know who it was. Air Hostess ?  Grin

Not a flight attendant but it DID happen on a plane.
freedomaspirer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #345 on: April 07, 2015, 02:34:14 PM »

From about 5:00 - Scott Bennett interview. Funny story re: Brian & Carole King!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anAegJddmFo
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #346 on: April 12, 2015, 10:45:00 PM »

I can't believe nobody added the quote about Hitchcock movie! Flight attendant, low cut top, troll question about "banging mom" - who cares?? It's all boring. W/o further ado:

Q. What is your favorite movie?
Brian: The Birds by Alfred Hitchcock because it had a sense of humor. Some guys car blew up and he got killed and it made me laugh for some reason running from the birds.

Another common thing we share! I too find most horrors funny - the way they die, fight, chasing scenes (cue Freddy Krueger with hilarious "village boy" sweater running like a moron with funny growling). I'm glad Brian said it like it is. There's nothing bad, after all, it's just a film as in fake death - I was told that since childhood, just as I was that Father Frost doesn't exist. We need to watch film like a film, not to get into it too much. I often imagined film shooting as this - the director cuts the final scene - "Stop camera!" - & everyone just relax & go to banquet to see the result. No doubt they laughed during killing 'n' stuff. Brian is mighty cool. 3D

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #347 on: April 13, 2015, 11:55:22 AM »

Wish to hell I could recall which UK rock mag it was, maybe ten years ago or thereabouts, but Brian was being asked about Dennis and his music. I paraphrase, of course, but his reply went something like:

"Well, he was a real man, he had intercourse with many women - Mike's wife, Al's wife, my wife..."

And yes, he said "intercourse", not "sex".  Shocked

Q magazine, Cash for questions, around BWPS! I remenber that. I already knew about the legend of Brian Wilson and the fact that he's not like everybody, but wasn't a fan yet, but after reading that I remember thinking he sure is something else.

Nothing wrong with little intercourse every now and then, btw. Can't blame Dennis.

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #348 on: May 07, 2015, 04:52:51 AM »

[paraphrased; too lazy to get the book and find the passage] "When I woke up this morning I went over to the piano and started writing a song. I don't know why, but it gave me a hard-on. I had to go into the bathroom and masturbate."

A-ha! Here it is, page 36:

"You know, I was at the piano this morning, kind of writing a song...I don't know why, but I got a hard-on. I had to go to the bathroom and masturbate."

Saturday, June 14, 1986

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #349 on: May 07, 2015, 05:57:27 AM »

The subject calls Jeff Foskett "the most handsome man I *ever* met!". Amusing.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 05:44:29 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx