gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 11:13:24 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brianisms Appreciation Thread  (Read 102498 times)
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: July 24, 2013, 10:59:00 PM »

Brian Wilson masturbating in a bathroom.

I've officially read everything on this board.

I'm looking at your Brian clip in your profile in a whole new light Shady! Shocked
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #301 on: July 25, 2013, 05:00:55 AM »

[paraphrased; too lazy to get the book and find the passage] "When I woke up this morning I went over to the piano and started writing a song. I don't know why, but it gave me a hard-on. I had to go into the bathroom and masturbate."
It better not have been Hey Little Tomboy.

No worries - this was a good ten years AFTER "Hey Little Tomboy." Smiley 

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: July 25, 2013, 06:47:12 AM »

[paraphrased; too lazy to get the book and find the passage] "When I woke up this morning I went over to the piano and started writing a song. I don't know why, but it gave me a hard-on. I had to go into the bathroom and masturbate."

More than likely it was Good Vibrator.  Razz

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
Cliff1000uk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: July 25, 2013, 07:34:29 AM »

More than likely it was Good Vibrator.  Razz

Surely the question we should be asking is did he have his young voice or 70's gruff voice?
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: September 13, 2013, 10:42:39 PM »

I was really put out the window when I saw the creative energy going on in the group. It almost took me out of my vibe and put me to the (moon?/ move?), just started getting back to the Beach Boys and hearing where their voices are coming from, hearing that the audience likes us, stuff like that.

Intro to the Chiba video 2012
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: September 25, 2013, 03:43:43 PM »

http://www.browardpalmbeach.com/2013-09-26/music/brian-wilson-on-songwriting-i-m-always-anxious-to-make-each-one-better/

How did you decide which Beach Boys would sing which particular songs, especially when you had so many good singers in the group?

Brian: OK, here's how it goes. I write the song, and then after I write the song, then I decide who I will have sing it. I don't think about who's going to sing it while I write the song. Thank you very much for the interview.

Thank you!

Brian: OK, take care, bud.

LOL

Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: September 25, 2013, 04:34:51 PM »

http://www.browardpalmbeach.com/2013-09-26/music/brian-wilson-on-songwriting-i-m-always-anxious-to-make-each-one-better/

How did you decide which Beach Boys would sing which particular songs, especially when you had so many good singers in the group?

Brian: OK, here's how it goes. I write the song, and then after I write the song, then I decide who I will have sing it. I don't think about who's going to sing it while I write the song. Thank you very much for the interview.

Thank you!

LOL

LOL! And from the same interview:

Interviewer: You have such an amazingly huge catalog to choose from. How do you decide which songs to include in your live set?
Brian: Well, we haven't gotten to that point yet, but I'm sure we'll think of something.
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: September 25, 2013, 08:14:08 PM »

Thank you!

LOL

Interviewer: You have such an amazingly huge catalog to choose from. How do you decide which songs to include in your live set?
Brian: Well, we haven't gotten to that point yet, but I'm sure we'll think of something.

I love how he's not even trying to hide that he's taking the piss.

A discipline daddy.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: October 02, 2013, 09:15:24 PM »

Hilarious, this is so Brian.  He's like in his own world.  The guy is so respected, imagine you're sitting there face to face with him, and you ask him a question, and he answers it with the question.  There's nothing you can say.  This, ultimately, is one of Brian's ninja tactics to shut down interviews.  "How do you come up with a song title?" "Well, see, what I do is, I make a song, and then I come up with a song title.... and we're done."

Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: October 02, 2013, 09:18:15 PM »

Thank you!

LOL

I love how he's not even trying to hide that he's taking the piss.

Yeah!  Exactly.  He's in cruise control now.  Think about it.  He can do whatever the f*** he wants now.  Not only is he

1. A Genius

2. A recovered alcoholic/addict

3. Beat mental illness

4. super respected musician

NOW HE'S OLD.  Old people can do whatever they want, nobody calls them on it.  So now you can't say sh*t no matter WHAT he says!  He's got 5 different reasons you're not as cool as he is.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #310 on: October 02, 2013, 09:20:57 PM »

I'm paraphrasing - seen and heard this one in a Youtube video that was titled "Impressions from the road, 1980", IIRC (can't seem find it right now, unfortunately):

Facing Al Jardine: "I'm telling you, Al, the show tonight could really go, it could really go over! Because... because we're so good!"
... and, following up on that, something recent (as seen in one of the numerous "we're reunited, this one final time" webisodes):

(Brian & Al after rehearsals)

Brian: "Thanks for 'Cotton Fields', man!"
Al: "Thank you for 'Please Let Me Wonder!"

That's one of the things I like about Brian as a musician: that childlike enthusiasm about music in general and simultaneous un-assumingness (if that's a word..) about his own music.

One thing I always found interesting is that BW seems to be quite enthusiastic about Alan's music in general - save for "Waves of Love", that is! Cheesy

He obviously seemed to enjoy writing with Alan throughout the Friends/Sunflower era and he even contributed lead vocals to AJ compositions such as "Looking Down the Coast", "Take a Load off Your Feet", and (to a much lesser extent) "California".

Yup.  I think too, you can point to "From there to Back Again" as proof of what he thinks of Al.  He gave him the best song on the record.  I hope that's what it's called, you know what song I mean. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #311 on: October 02, 2013, 09:23:05 PM »

An interview with MOJO magazine, IIRC. I guess around 10 years ago.

Off of the top of my head.

While Brian is being interviewed, at one point Melinda descends the stairs to the living room.

Brian turns head.

'Hi honey... you look great! Isn't it amazing what a little make-up can do?'

(I don't know if he realised the possible interpretations of this line - IMHO he just wanted to be nice and courteous. Well, I truly had a LOL moment. Many of his remarks are so memorable precisely because of all that you can make of them: deliberate or naive clumsiness, double entendres, passive resistance, jokes that he wouldn't have made if he'd better thought them through beforehand, secret signs meant to indicate that he liked the interview to be over, whatever...)

He seems to not take the time to lie about the things he should lie about, and is completely dishonest about things he has no business being dishonest about. 
Terry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: October 02, 2013, 11:37:02 PM »

Regarding Jeff Beck... "He’s the most g*ddamned greatest guitar player I’ve ever heard in my life.”
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: October 03, 2013, 02:38:39 PM »

While I have had some very cordial and normal fan conversations with Brian, the one that falls into the Brianism category occurred a little over 20 years ago at a San Diego ESQ Beach Boys convention.  Brian was autographing items, and although convention attendees had been requested to bring just one item for Brian to sign, I was one of numerous people who were in line for the third time with yet another item for him to autograph.  As I approached Brian he smiled, took my CD in hand, and then announced in a loud voice, "This is my last guy, I gotta pee!"
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: October 04, 2013, 08:44:22 AM »

Hilarious, this is so Brian.  He's like in his own world.  The guy is so respected, imagine you're sitting there face to face with him, and you ask him a question, and he answers it with the question.  There's nothing you can say.  This, ultimately, is one of Brian's ninja tactics to shut down interviews.  "How do you come up with a song title?" "Well, see, what I do is, I make a song, and then I come up with a song title.... and we're done."
In other words, Brian's got childlike sense of humor. He doesn't even have to try to be funny, the necessary words come out themselves spontaneously. And it's the best kind of humor (but also the complex one, not everyone achieves it), 99 out of 100 guarantees success in making others smile (no pun) or laugh. Which what happened to Brian, if "see" the reactions of Smiley Smilers on the board in general, i.e. not only judging by this very thread.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: February 14, 2014, 05:22:42 PM »

Just had to post this from his Q&A on Facebook a little while back.

“What was your favorite part about running the Radiant Radish Health Food Store? What was your biggest seller?”: “The cash register — I learned how to do it.”

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
Adult Child
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: March 18, 2014, 03:19:19 PM »

From a 2011 interview

Interviewer: What do you feel like the Beach Boys legacy is in terms of what you and the Beach Boys have created for pop music?
Brian: Well, it depends on what song you mean. You know, if you're talking Good Vibrations, we taught people how to use cellos. Um if it's Do It Again we learned how to play a "medium beat".

And at the end of the interview:

Interviewer: I thank you so much for being here, sir. It's been a pleasure.
Brian: It's been a pleasure and I'll see you again sometime. I'll see you at the concert.
[they shake hands]
Brian: Give me a better hand shake.

From an interview with the same interviewer a year later, this time with the whole group.

Interviewer: Brian, does it feel like you're slipping right back into what you were doing decades ago?
Brian: Like I said, each guy's different, we each have our own part to play. And it does take me back to the early 60s. But we've had more practice then you can imagine! We've had 50 years of practice and practice and practice!

Later in the interview, Brian talking about the importance of radio when he was young:

Brian: We used to listen to Johnny Otis play a lot of rhythm and blues. Carl and I used to listen to rhythm and blues records on the radio. We did. In fact, Carl turned me on to rhythm and blues. And the more we listened the more we learned, you know. And then along comes Chuck Berry and Mike Love, and the creation of rock n roll, so to speak.

"In my opinion it makes Pet Sounds stink - that's how good it is!" - Dennis Wilson

"Our records were really very good. We're very talented and we know how to do what we do." - Carl Wilson

"The thing is, I'm just pooping along. Some people buzz along. I poop along. I just can't help it; that's the way I am. I'm just a pooper." - Brian Wilson
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: March 18, 2014, 04:13:30 PM »

From a 2011 interview
And then along comes Chuck Berry and Mike Love, and the creation of rock n roll, so to speak.

Mike reads later and nods in agreement..... LOL
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: March 18, 2014, 07:37:59 PM »

That line about 'give me a better handshake' reminds me of when he corrected the salutation he wrote on Sheryl Crow's record for her...
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #319 on: March 20, 2014, 07:27:42 AM »

That line about 'give me a better handshake' reminds me of when he corrected the salutation he wrote on Sheryl Crow's record for her...

It was Don Henley, not Sheryl Crow.  Smiley
J.G. Dev
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #320 on: March 20, 2014, 08:52:12 AM »

From a 2011 interview
And then along comes Chuck Berry and Mike Love, and the creation of rock n roll, so to speak.

Mike reads later and nods in agreement..... LOL

"Mike Love's gotta be the greatest thing that's come along
(Hum diddy waddy, hum diddy wadda)
He made the guitar beats and wrote the all-time greatest song
(Hum diddy waddy, hum diddy wadda)
Well now do you remember all the guys that gave us rock and roll
(Hum diddy waddy doo)"

Adult Child
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #321 on: April 06, 2014, 08:59:31 AM »

This is from an interview with Charlie Rose, around the release of the Christmas album. They're talking about Smile.

Charlie: Smile, and the success of Smile..
Brian: Right.
Charlie: .. Was that the most satisfying thing, for you musically, the fact that this thing that you had worked on so hard for so many years, when it finally came into fruition, Rolling Stone magazine gave it 5 stars. Everybody raved about it; the criticism was overwhelming!
Brian: I haven't told you this yet, I'm gonna tell you now though. We premiered it in London, in 2004, and people at the end of the concert, people stood up and clapped for almost 10 minutes! Almost 10 minutes! That's a long standing ovation, that's a very long standing ovation, 10 minutes. You have to admit that, you know?
Charlie: Did it bring tears to your eyes?
Brian: Nah, not tears. It just brought joy to me. I was so proud. Charlie, I was so nervous to do that show. I was so nervous to do that doggone Smile show in London that I almost had to go to the bathroom and [makes plopping noise], do my thing.

"In my opinion it makes Pet Sounds stink - that's how good it is!" - Dennis Wilson

"Our records were really very good. We're very talented and we know how to do what we do." - Carl Wilson

"The thing is, I'm just pooping along. Some people buzz along. I poop along. I just can't help it; that's the way I am. I'm just a pooper." - Brian Wilson
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #322 on: March 16, 2015, 09:50:42 AM »

Thanks to shadownoze for the link!

Brian's got asked about his favorite scene in the L&M movie:

http://shadownoze.tumblr.com/post/113749469568/q-a-at-sxsw-brian-wilson-is-asked-what-his

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
PhilSpectre
Smiley Smile Associate

May You Never Hear Surf Music ... Again

View Profile
« Reply #323 on: March 16, 2015, 12:09:15 PM »

http://shadownoze.tumblr.com/post/113749469568/q-a-at-sxsw-brian-wilson-is-asked-what-his

Classic deadpan Brian there, with nobody being sure if he's serious or not.  He even throws in a subtle bit of looking at his watch, as if internally thinking, 'How much longer till this crap finishes and I can start on the hospitality food?'  Grin

True class.  Cool
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #324 on: March 16, 2015, 12:49:53 PM »

I love his answer to the question, and so does Cusack and the audience apparently.  LOL
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx