gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 07:04:12 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brianisms Appreciation Thread  (Read 102488 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #275 on: October 12, 2012, 11:09:12 AM »

A new one:

Simon (Interviewer): "By the time you recorded Sunflower, all the other guys were contributing musically. How did it feel letting go of complete creative control?"

Brian: "I thought it was appropriate at that time. Carl had really come into his own as a producer and was helping with the vocal arranging. Dennis was flourishing as a songwriter and knew what he wanted on his records. It was a natural transgression."

What interview is this from? Is it online?

Not exactly something Brian said but this is a hilarious Brian Wilson story

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PS3w9Tnba4&t=6m50s

Unfortunately I didn't understand the guy. What did he say at the end of the Brian story?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 11:11:08 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: October 12, 2012, 12:15:21 PM »

A new one:

Simon (Interviewer): "By the time you recorded Sunflower, all the other guys were contributing musically. How did it feel letting go of complete creative control?"

Brian: "I thought it was appropriate at that time. Carl had really come into his own as a producer and was helping with the vocal arranging. Dennis was flourishing as a songwriter and knew what he wanted on his records. It was a natural transgression."

It was an issue of NME (I think!) I saw a scan on tumblr.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: October 12, 2012, 02:35:44 PM »

A new one:

Unfortunately I didn't understand the guy. What did he say at the end of the Brian story?

Pot calling the kettle black line?

Meaning it was ironic Brian commenting on the state Ozzy was in.
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: October 13, 2012, 07:05:17 AM »

A new one:

I took it to mean that Ozzy was the one to comment on Brian's condition to Tommy. Doesn't make sense for Brian to talk to Ozzy's bandmate.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #279 on: October 14, 2012, 01:43:08 AM »

A new one:

I took it to mean that Ozzy was the one to comment on Brian's condition to Tommy. Doesn't make sense for Brian to talk to Ozzy's bandmate.

We have Tony Iommi of Black Sabbith, talking to Rick Wakeman of Yes. Not close in style but they have the industry in common. Brian knowing of and talking to Tony is the same. Its just what muso's do I guess. Who would know if he knew they were bandmates? Probably not.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 01:46:00 AM by Pretty Funky » Logged
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: October 14, 2012, 06:53:18 AM »

I'm paraphrasing - seen and heard this one in a Youtube video that was titled "Impressions from the road, 1980", IIRC (can't seem find it right now, unfortunately):

Facing Al Jardine: "I'm telling you, Al, the show tonight could really go, it could really go over! Because... because we're so good!"
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: October 14, 2012, 07:03:10 AM »

I'm paraphrasing - seen and heard this one in a Youtube video that was titled "Impressions from the road, 1980", IIRC (can't seem find it right now, unfortunately):

Facing Al Jardine: "I'm telling you, Al, the show tonight could really go, it could really go over! Because... because we're so good!"
... and, following up on that, something recent (as seen in one of the numerous "we're reunited, this one final time" webisodes):

(Brian & Al after rehearsals)

Brian: "Thanks for 'Cotton Fields', man!"
Al: "Thank you for 'Please Let Me Wonder!"

That's one of the things I like about Brian as a musician: that childlike enthusiasm about music in general and simultaneous un-assumingness (if that's a word..) about his own music.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: October 14, 2012, 08:45:39 AM »

... and, following up on that, something recent (as seen in one of the numerous "we're reunited, this one final time" webisodes):

(Brian & Al after rehearsals)

Brian: "Thanks for 'Cotton Fields', man!"
Al: "Thank you for 'Please Let Me Wonder!"

That's one of the things I like about Brian as a musician: that childlike enthusiasm about music in general and simultaneous un-assumingness (if that's a word..) about his own music.

One thing I always found interesting is that BW seems to be quite enthusiastic about Alan's music in general - save for "Waves of Love", that is! Cheesy

He obviously seemed to enjoy writing with Alan throughout the Friends/Sunflower era and he even contributed lead vocals to AJ compositions such as "Looking Down the Coast", "Take a Load off Your Feet", and (to a much lesser extent) "California".
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #283 on: June 07, 2013, 05:43:17 AM »

"Now a Theremin...when we got the Theremin on there, we got it on there so that...so that people could understand the Theremin in a finite--in finite terms, finite musical terms, in...in the exact terms; none, I'm not talkin' about -- 'bout, uhh...well, you know what I mean -- in...in terms of written music, but in a sense it had an unwritten sound to it; it was, didn't sound really WRITTEN, and what...what we're doing -- "Good Vibrations" was probably the, the...the...if -- of all the Beach Boy records, probably the best combination of instruments, a most unique way of taking conventional and...instruments that would, that had only been associated, associated with adults, with adults, ya know? and children, 21-year-old children, right? Twenty-FIVE-year-old children, too, ya know? I mean, children, uhh...children, children of God, children of God are, are in their twenties, I mean they're in their twenties, the twenty-year-olds, and the, and and like, and, and not really rapidly appro--approaching thirty at all, right in there in like mid-twenty-five, twenty-six-year-old people, you know, year-old CHILDREN, young adults, not quite adults really, but...kinda flamboyant a little bit, a little bit, uhh...uhh, wha-whatcha call it? Whimsical...you know, whimsical personalities and whimsical uhh, uhhh, sense of humor, a whimsical sense of humor. The word, the...the...the situation with "Good Vibrations," I don't think it was a funny record. I -- it didn't make me laugh, you know, I...I...it made me cry, because I, 'cause I have seen...I had seen the -- the...the id--I had at once gr--made sure that I had a grasp, the idea, that when you, when you take classical instruments and place them in--in--in--in rock'n'roll environment, you have refined music, you have--you have rock'n'roll brought to a height, a really -- and you know, and it's a real funny thing, nobody ever really called "Good Vibrations" a rock'n'roll record, but it WAS a rock'n'roll record. It rocked. Y'know? It really rocked."

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: June 07, 2013, 05:51:32 AM »

"Now a Theremin...when we got the Theremin on there, we got it on there so that...so that people could understand the Theremin in a finite--in finite terms, finite musical terms, in...in the exact terms; none, I'm not talkin' about -- 'bout, uhh...well, you know what I mean -- in...in terms of written music, but in a sense it had an unwritten sound to it; it was, didn't sound really WRITTEN, and what...what we're doing -- "Good Vibrations" was probably the, the...the...if -- of all the Beach Boy records, probably the best combination of instruments, a most unique way of taking conventional and...instruments that would, that had only been associated, associated with adults, with adults, ya know? and children, 21-year-old children, right? Twenty-FIVE-year-old children, too, ya know? I mean, children, uhh...children, children of God, children of God are, are in their twenties, I mean they're in their twenties, the twenty-year-olds, and the, and and like, and, and not really rapidly appro--approaching thirty at all, right in there in like mid-twenty-five, twenty-six-year-old people, you know, year-old CHILDREN, young adults, not quite adults really, but...kinda flamboyant a little bit, a little bit, uhh...uhh, wha-whatcha call it? Whimsical...you know, whimsical personalities and whimsical uhh, uhhh, sense of humor, a whimsical sense of humor. The word, the...the...the situation with "Good Vibrations," I don't think it was a funny record. I -- it didn't make me laugh, you know, I...I...it made me cry, because I, 'cause I have seen...I had seen the -- the...the id--I had at once gr--made sure that I had a grasp, the idea, that when you, when you take classical instruments and place them in--in--in--in rock'n'roll environment, you have refined music, you have--you have rock'n'roll brought to a height, a really -- and you know, and it's a real funny thing, nobody ever really called "Good Vibrations" a rock'n'roll record, but it WAS a rock'n'roll record. It rocked. Y'know? It really rocked."
I love that clip. Especially his facial expression when the theremin doesn't obey his motions for a second. Grin
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #285 on: June 07, 2013, 07:15:35 AM »

An interview with MOJO magazine, IIRC. I guess around 10 years ago.

Off of the top of my head.

While Brian is being interviewed, at one point Melinda descends the stairs to the living room.

Brian turns head.

'Hi honey... you look great! Isn't it amazing what a little make-up can do?'

(I don't know if he realised the possible interpretations of this line - IMHO he just wanted to be nice and courteous. Well, I truly had a LOL moment. Many of his remarks are so memorable precisely because of all that you can make of them: deliberate or naive clumsiness, double entendres, passive resistance, jokes that he wouldn't have made if he'd better thought them through beforehand, secret signs meant to indicate that he liked the interview to be over, whatever...)

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: June 07, 2013, 07:26:21 AM »

While Brian is being interviewed, at one point Melinda descends the stairs to the living room.

Brian turns head.

Spot-on!  What guy hasn't committed such a faux pas at some stage in his life, eh?   LOL

“We live in divisive times.”
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: June 07, 2013, 09:06:19 AM »

Brian turns head.

Spot-on!  What guy hasn't committed such a faux pas at some stage in his life, eh?   LOL

Grin

I did, several times BTW. One of my gaffes: I was introduced to a truly beautiful girl student in the introduction period of my first year at Uni. It being a party, and me being slightly drunk, I somehow couldn't speak that clearly any more. She was named Sophia. I said merrily: 'hello Sofa'.

That didn't get across very well.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #288 on: June 07, 2013, 03:11:47 PM »

Brian turns head.

Too bad he didn't also say:

"Shave your legs, now, for the first time!"

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #289 on: June 09, 2013, 01:11:26 AM »

Not sure if this has been mentioned:

Q: What's the last movie you saw ?

BW: Norbit.

Q: What's your favorite movie ?

BW: Norbit.
theCOD
« Reply #290 on: June 09, 2013, 02:14:08 AM »

Nevermind!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 02:33:17 AM by ChickenOfDepression » Logged
The Hidden Corner
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: June 09, 2013, 03:53:33 PM »

Thought I'd take this opportunity to post my first Smiley response after lurking for years.  When I saw Brian play the RFH in London in 2002 he was clearly so fired up by the audience response that he shouted "let's get nude!" at the end of one song.

One of my favourite Brian quotes comes third hand from an acquaintance who managed to get in the same lift (elevator) as Brian at his Brighton gig (second UK tour of 2002).  The guy managed to have a quick chat with Brian and tried to endear him with his wit.  Brian  made some comment along the lines of he liked the British and their humour, humour being a great thing - while staring intently and unsmiling at the guy, who then laid a fan question on Brian - "Brian, back in the 70s you wrote a song called 'Stevie' - is it about Stevie Nicks or Stevie Wonder?". Brian stared at the guy for a moment and responded  as if deep in thought "Hey...Stevie Wonder...did you know he's blind?"
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #292 on: June 15, 2013, 11:51:25 AM »

Thought I'd take this opportunity to post my first Smiley response after lurking for years.  When I saw Brian play the RFH in London in 2002 he was clearly so fired up by the audience response that he shouted "let's get nude!" at the end of one song.

One of my favourite Brian quotes comes third hand from an acquaintance who managed to get in the same lift (elevator) as Brian at his Brighton gig (second UK tour of 2002).  The guy managed to have a quick chat with Brian and tried to endear him with his wit.  Brian  made some comment along the lines of he liked the British and their humour, humour being a great thing - while staring intently and unsmiling at the guy, who then laid a fan question on Brian - "Brian, back in the 70s you wrote a song called 'Stevie' - is it about Stevie Nicks or Stevie Wonder?". Brian stared at the guy for a moment and responded  as if deep in thought "Hey...Stevie Wonder...did you know he's blind?"

Classic!  LOL

Welcome on board!

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #293 on: July 19, 2013, 02:45:27 PM »

Anyone got a source for this one? Grin

"Some people might think that sex is the highest experience you can have. I tend to think that music is." -- Brian Wilson

http://www.gq.com/style/blogs/the-gq-eye/2013/07/your-morning-shot-the-beach-boys-1.html

Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: July 19, 2013, 03:04:52 PM »

Someone might have already posted this (maybe even me):

"I like food. Creative food."
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: July 19, 2013, 03:20:52 PM »

Some quotes from the 2007 tour book interview:

"The Hollywood Bowl reminds me of a huge ear that acts like a speaker! It acts like a speaker the way it's structured. The sound comes off the stage through a giant speaker. That's physics. I swear to God. That's how I look at the Gosh Darn thing."

[On accidentally breaking Al's leg while playing football]: "I busted his leg. I blew it. [jumps up from the table to re-enact it] I went to pitch out to him in the backfield and went the wrong way...I felt so bad. I didn't know what to do! All his life he's held a grudge for that. [laughs] 'Gosh Darn I'm gonna kick that Brian Wilson's ass!'"

"Let's have some dessert. It's on me. I have money in the bank. I'm honored to pay for your lunch."

"Dennis is an underrated music person."

"I can't play bass for baloney."
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #296 on: July 24, 2013, 08:17:25 PM »

I just got the new version of The Wilson Project, a title I've been looking for for years. That book is so full of Brianisms it isn't funny. (Well, actually, they ARE funny....) Too many to post!! A couple of highlights from memory:

[in the middle of a conversation] "I farted."

[paraphrased; too lazy to get the book and find the passage] "When I woke up this morning I went over to the piano and started writing a song. I don't know why, but it gave me a hard-on. I had to go into the bathroom and masturbate."

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #297 on: July 24, 2013, 09:24:11 PM »

Brian Wilson masturbating in a bathroom.

I've officially read everything on this board.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #298 on: July 24, 2013, 09:27:16 PM »

Brian Wilson masturbating in a bathroom.

I've officially read everything on this board.

Now you know why Mike is so keen that Brian stay in the room with him while writing songs.
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: July 24, 2013, 10:53:01 PM »

[paraphrased; too lazy to get the book and find the passage] "When I woke up this morning I went over to the piano and started writing a song. I don't know why, but it gave me a hard-on. I had to go into the bathroom and masturbate."
It better not have been Hey Little Tomboy.

A discipline daddy.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx