gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 06:08:17 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What songs did Brian play drums / percussion on?  (Read 2928 times)
Rebel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 01, 2021, 08:43:05 AM »

Has there ever been a list? I feel like I’ve asked before. Maybe I dreamed it.

The Old Ranger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2021, 09:22:08 AM »

I don't think he played drums much, but that's a great question!
RealBriefcase
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2021, 09:57:17 AM »

I'd be surprised if somebody other than Brian played drums on Funky Pretty.
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2021, 01:25:38 PM »

These are the songs that I remember that Brian plays drums on.

The Wanderer (live)
Sandy She Needs Me (?)
Funky Pretty
You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'
about 2/3rds of Love You (all except Good Time, Honkin' Down the Highway, Mona, I Wanna Pick You Up, Ding Dang, and The Night Was So Young)
beatlesyoshi
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2021, 07:08:03 PM »

The Wanderer (live)
Sandy She Needs Me (?)
Funky Pretty
about 2/3rds of Love You (all except Good Time, Honkin' Down the Highway, Mona, I Wanna Pick You Up, Ding Dang, and The Night Was So Young)
iirc, Brian doesn't play on sandy. Another instance of him drumming is where is she (he also plays the guitar on that)
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2021, 07:45:16 PM »

The Wanderer (live)
Sandy She Needs Me (?)
Funky Pretty
iirc, Brian doesn't play on sandy. Another instance of him drumming is where is she (he also plays the guitar on that)

I think it is quite possibly Brian who drums on "Sandy"...the drums were overdubbed, with Dennis seemingly absent.
beatlesyoshi
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2021, 08:42:13 PM »

The Wanderer (live)
Sandy She Needs Me (?)
Funky Pretty

I think it is quite possibly Brian who drums on "Sandy"...the drums were overdubbed, with Dennis seemingly absent.
ah ok, didn't know that
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2021, 02:30:49 AM »

The Wanderer (live)
Sandy She Needs Me (?)
Funky Pretty

ah ok, didn't know that

Improbable that it's anyone other than Brian on drums, really, given the playing style, Carl busy on guitar, and the only other two people in the room being Bruce and Ron Swallow.
Steven
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2021, 06:29:06 AM »

"Surfin" and parts of Love You
« Last Edit: October 02, 2021, 06:39:17 AM by Steven » Logged

Formerly known as "Moon Dawg"
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2021, 07:32:03 AM »

"Surfin" and parts of Love You

Ah yes, "Surfin'" and, of course, "Luau".
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2021, 07:36:13 AM »

Brian's the drummer on much of Lei'd in Hawaii. Good possibility of a number of Wild Honey era tracks too, with one that he's confirmed on being Can't Wait Too Long. And of course, he's the multitasking percussionist on Diamond Head and Take a Load Off Your Feet. There are quite a few through the years. The 1962 version of Surfer Moon is a likely other.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2021, 07:45:12 AM by WillJC » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2021, 09:33:05 AM »

Brian's the drummer on much of Lei'd in Hawaii. Good possibility of a number of Wild Honey era tracks too, with one that he's confirmed on being Can't Wait Too Long. And of course, he's the multitasking percussionist on Diamond Head and Take a Load Off Your Feet. There are quite a few through the years. The 1962 version of Surfer Moon is a likely other.

Just to clarify the point in bold: Do you mean the Heider re-record studio sessions? I've been listening to that material for years and just assumed it was Dennis as it was on stage in August '67 for the original shows, with Brian on the Baldwin. Is there more info that has come out in recent years?

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2021, 09:44:52 AM »

Just to clarify the point in bold: Do you mean the Heider re-record studio sessions? I've been listening to that material for years and just assumed it was Dennis as it was on stage in August '67 for the original shows, with Brian on the Baldwin. Is there more info that has come out in recent years?

The studio sessions; Dennis didn't play or sing on any of the re-record material. Brian and Carl shared drummer duties on those, with most of it being overdubbed onto very sparse basic tracks.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2021, 09:46:36 AM by WillJC » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2021, 09:52:11 AM »

The studio sessions; Dennis didn't play or sing on any of the re-record material. Brian and Carl shared drummer duties on those, with most of it being overdubbed onto very sparse basic tracks.

Interesting! Considering how sparse Dennis' drumming (and drum setup in general) was in Hawaii, it wasn't too hard to do basic beats on a snare to remake the tracks.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2021, 10:01:22 AM »

Interesting! Considering how sparse Dennis' drumming (and drum setup in general) was in Hawaii, it wasn't too hard to do basic beats on a snare to remake the tracks.

Yeah, he was already basically dialling it back to exactly whatever Brian told him to do at those shows!

Most of the studio remakes were run down in an incredibly simple way, just Brian playing through the setlist on organ and Bruce providing basic guide percussion, everything else overdubbed. Then they went back to remake a few tracks and fill gaps with a slightly fuller 'band' setup. Brian's the drummer on the initial batch, with the rest presumably dotting between Brian and/or Carl.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2021, 10:04:44 AM by WillJC » Logged
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2021, 01:22:14 PM »

Couple of photos.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2021, 07:39:07 PM »

Should note that Ron Swallow could drum and I am pretty sure (memory ain’t what it used to be) that he told me that he did so when Glen performed as opening act for the BBs in late May 1965. however that doesn’t mean that he drummed on any BBs tracks. he did, however, often add extra percussion. He was young and not bad looking and there was some talk of him taking Brian’s spot in the touring band when Glen left. But Ron did not know bass. Glen offered to teach him but they were both too busy to make it happen. 
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2021, 04:08:04 AM »

Should note that Ron Swallow could drum and I am pretty sure (memory ain’t what it used to be) that he told me that he did so when Glen performed as opening act for the BBs in late May 1965. however that doesn’t mean that he drummed on any BBs tracks. he did, however, often add extra percussion. He was young and not bad looking and there was some talk of him taking Brian’s spot in the touring band when Glen left. But Ron did not know bass. Glen offered to teach him but they were both too busy to make it happen.  

Yeah, Ron did verifiably whack a snare drum at one session. I had no idea he actually could drum, and played drums on stage - that's fascinating if so! For a while he may as well have been the designated studio tambourineist. Suppose we shouldn't rule him out on Sandy then, but the drumming does scream of Brian's quirks to me.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2021, 04:13:55 AM by WillJC » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx