gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680855 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 02:40:02 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian's improved voice on M.I.U. - mystery solved?  (Read 14828 times)
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 27, 2010, 06:25:25 PM »

I love the balls to the wall crazy falsetto on "She's Got Rhythm". It's not pretty, it's not smooth, but it still has a lot of energy and is just weird enough to work.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 27, 2010, 07:56:26 PM »

Also, I know the Byron and Jeff were at MIU during the recording. Jeff told me he walked by some room (no the studio) and Brian was playing the piano and singing in a falsetto voice that sounded like his early self. He did not sound that way in the studio, tho.
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 22, 2010, 08:00:08 PM »

Thanks to the OP for reminding me of this article written by Bob Rose about his experience with the Beach Boys at M.I.U. in the Winter of '77:

http://www.indie-music.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=3111

Interesting that he clearly states they were working not only on their final album for Warner's, but also their Caribou debut at the time.  The only conclusion I could come to is that the Christmas album was to be the last for the old label, with M.I.U. (or Our Team or whatever they were calling it at the time) originally slated to go to CBS.

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: September 22, 2010, 08:15:56 PM »

Thanks to the OP for reminding me of this article written by Bob Rose about his experience with the Beach Boys at M.I.U. in the Winter of '77:

Interesting that he clearly states they were working not only on their final album for Warner's, but also their Caribou debut at the time.  The only conclusion I could come to is that the Christmas album was to be the last for the old label, with M.I.U. (or Our Team or whatever they were calling it at the time) originally slated to go to CBS.

Yes, that's correct.  Warners rejected the Christmas platter, Guercio didn't think too highly of MIU Album, and so Warners got it by default.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 23, 2010, 12:13:54 AM »

Jon any idea why Dennis gave his lead vocals over to Carl on his two Holland cuts? Such a shame because it was the last release where he still had his young sounding voice.
I guess the answer would be that giving leads to Carl on DW songs was not unusual. Carl sang lead on Its About Time, San Miguel, and 4th of July prior to Holland. I think, like most of us, Dennis really dug Carl's voice.

I was told that the reason Carl sang Dennis' songs on HOLLAND were that Dennis had left the sessions by that point, and was camping out on the Canary Islands, leaving Carl to finish his tracks.  I don't know if that's strictly true on a micro level, but that's what I had heard.  It would make sense.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: September 23, 2010, 12:33:51 AM »

Interesting that he clearly states they were working not only on their final album for Warner's, but also their Caribou debut at the time.  The only conclusion I could come to is that the Christmas album was to be the last for the old label, with M.I.U. (or Our Team or whatever they were calling it at the time) originally slated to go to CBS.

Yes, that's correct.  Warners rejected the Christmas platter, Guercio didn't think too highly of MIU Album, and so Warners got it by default.

I think that scenario might be open to question. Firstly, the only source I recall seeing for the 'Xmas album rejected story' is from Brad Elliott's book in '81, and frankly, the timeline is entirely unconvincing: record a 1977 Xmas album in October/November of the same year ?

Further, the sessions in Iowa were actually November/December, not October/November, and the California Feeling master was assembled (twice) in December 1977 (24th & 29th), while MIU itself was mastered in April 1978 for an September release. No sign of any Xmas album ever being assembled, much less delivered. As I recall the whole idea of the Iowa escapade was that the band signed to Caribou not realising that they still owed Reprise one more album and when this was pointed out, they needed to come up with product and fast. Further, not only were they cutting Xmas and non-seasonal tracks in tandem at MIU (thus disproving the original belief that MIU evolved from the aborted holiday projected), but also Celebration tracks for the Almost Summer movie and even a couple of American Spring titles. I don't think there was any overall, coherent plan (well, this is The Beach Boys after all...).

Comments ? Objections ? Better reading ?  All welcome.  Smiley
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 12:34:49 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 23, 2010, 01:42:47 AM »

Interesting.  I always thought the Christmas album turning into M.I.U. didn't make much sense.  Too many of the tracks sound like they evolved the other way around.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: September 23, 2010, 02:18:14 AM »

Here's the Iowa 1977 session dates and titles (Xmas songs in green:

November:
  7 - session: Little Girl (=Wontcha Come Out Tonight)/She's Got Rhythm/Burlesque
  8 - session: Matchpoint Of Our Love
14 - session: She's Got Rhythm/Santa's Got An Airplane
15 - session: Winter Symphony/Our Team/How's About A Little Bit
16 - American Spring session: Don't Be Cruel/Baby (I Could Be So Good At Loving You)
17 - session #1: Goin' To Get That Girl
       session #2: Alone On Christmas Day
       session #3: Beach Burlesque/Wontcha Come Out Tonight
18 - session #1: Sunday Kinda Love/Matchpoint Of Our Love/Egypt
       session #2: Why/Matchpoint Of Our Love/Egypt
       session #3: Bells Of Christmas/Hawaii Christmas (= Melekalikimaka)/Pitter Patter
21 - session #1 (Celebration): Sad, Sad Summer/Almost Summer/Cruisin'
       session #2 (Celebration): Chief Joseph/Sad, Sad Summer
       session #3: Winter Symphony/Goin' To Get That Girl
22 - session: Winter Symphony/Alone On Christmas Day
22 - Dennis Wilson session: Merry Christmas (=Morning Christmas) [Brother]
23 - session: Sad, Sad Christmas/Winds Of Change/Christmas Medley
?? - Mike Love session: TM Siddhi Program

December   :
  2 - session: Matchpoint Of Our Love/Sunday Kinda Love
  3 - session: Little Girl (=Wontcha Come Out Tonight)/She's Got Rhythm
  4 - session: Pitter Patter/Our Team/How's About A Little Bit
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 02:21:39 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: September 23, 2010, 06:20:55 AM »

November:
16 - American Spring session: Don't Be Cruel/Baby (I Could Be So Good At Loving You)
       session #3: Bells Of Christmas/Hawaii Christmas (= Melekalikimaka)/Pitter Patter

December   :

Well...IF we can trust the dates on the AFM contracts...   Smiley   I'm hoping this isn't another case (as with Holland) of the contracts being drawn up after the fact, with faked dates.   
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 23, 2010, 06:22:20 AM »

I think that scenario might be open to question. Firstly, the only source I recall seeing for the 'Xmas album rejected story' is from Brad Elliott's book in '81, and frankly, the timeline is entirely unconvincing: record a 1977 Xmas album in October/November of the same year ?

All I can say:     Child Of Winter

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 23, 2010, 07:22:47 AM »

This has nothing to do with the Christmas album issue, but may I ask, is "Burlesque" or "Beach Burlesque" the same track of Brian's that Jack Reiley said was so great from the early 70s? Maybe CATP era? Idk, just noticed that though.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: September 23, 2010, 07:38:55 AM »

November:

December   :

Well...IF we can trust the dates on the AFM contracts...   Smiley   I'm hoping this isn't another case (as with Holland) of the contracts being drawn up after the fact, with faked dates.   

This is true... there will always be the question of AFM accuracy. [sigh] Life is seldom simple.

Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 23, 2010, 08:55:13 AM »

Jon any idea why Dennis gave his lead vocals over to Carl on his two Holland cuts? Such a shame because it was the last release where he still had his young sounding voice.
I guess the answer would be that giving leads to Carl on DW songs was not unusual. Carl sang lead on Its About Time, San Miguel, and 4th of July prior to Holland. I think, like most of us, Dennis really dug Carl's voice.

I was told that the reason Carl sang Dennis' songs on HOLLAND were that Dennis had left the sessions by that point, and was camping out on the Canary Islands, leaving Carl to finish his tracks.  I don't know if that's strictly true on a micro level, but that's what I had heard.  It would make sense.
The Real Beach Boy book does mention that Dennis stayed in the Canary Islands while the others were in Holland...so it must be true. Blondie told me he went back and forth, he'd just show up, work a bit and then leave again.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: September 23, 2010, 09:28:57 AM »

This has nothing to do with the Christmas album issue, but may I ask, is "Burlesque" or "Beach Burlesque" the same track of Brian's that Jack Reiley said was so great from the early 70s? Maybe CATP era? Idk, just noticed that though.

I thought that too, but no, turns out they're entirely different songs.

summerinparadise.flac
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 23, 2010, 10:05:43 AM »

The more I've been listening to these songs I think its the case that its simply because he was singing more soft (as a fellow here mentioned earlier). If you listen to Airplane off of Love You, pay attention to the way Brian says "carefully" and "guy" after both his falsetto parts. Its very sweet and sounds almost like his MIU voice. It wouldn't be so suprising that with better production and a period of time without cigarettes he could sound quite good. + he's not belting out his vocals like he did on 15 Big Ones and Love You.
That also explains why his falsetto is very close to his 15 Big Ones/Love You falsetto. There he is screeching out his vocal so its not as smooth. This is very apparent on Wontcha Come Out Tonight.

"I'll haunt you like a ghost"
-Brian Wilson, the Ruby song from Party.

Please support the Beach Boys without being a rude dude or grumpy gus.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 23, 2010, 10:17:57 AM »

Actually, now that I think about it, is there even proof that "Burlesque" song was ever recorded? Or exists? I don't think its in your recording history, never really heard it mentioned besides the Reiley thing, and I just find it hard to believe the guys wouldn't just eat up any new song Brian gave them. Maybe this song was just too much for them though. Do we have an approximate date for that song? Surf's Up era? CATP era? Hmm.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 23, 2010, 10:37:02 AM »

From the original "Jack Rieley Speaks" (which you can still read via Google cache):

Love didn't have much good to say about 'Til I Die, Tree, Long Promise Road or Feel Flows. They were depressing. They were downers. They were too ethereal. They were trivial. He accepted the importance of Surfs Up in a commercial sense, but derided its artistic merit. He hated Burlesque more than anything, particularly because its lyric is a about a stripper and even more pointedly because of the last line of that lyric. Fascinating, I thought, considering the man's own private life, that he was so adamant about family values on Beach Boys songs.

Burlesque was Brian at his most passionate, most playful, most daring, and it would have made a really cool track on the album. But Love killed it.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: September 23, 2010, 11:06:20 AM »

Actually, now that I think about it, is there even proof that "Burlesque" song was ever recorded? Or exists? I don't think its in your recording history, never really heard it mentioned besides the Reiley thing, and I just find it hard to believe the guys wouldn't just eat up any new song Brian gave them. Maybe this song was just too much for them though. Do we have an approximate date for that song? Surf's Up era? CATP era? Hmm.

First mention of Burlesque (JFR III version) I'm aware of is in 1972. Assuming what he sang to me summer 1982 was reasonably accurate, the 1977 song isn't the same one.

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 23, 2010, 12:33:18 PM »

But do we have reason to believe it was indeed recorded? Did our beloved vault-combers ever come across it? Seems like possibly something that could be included on a future rarities set. A completed Brian/Beach Boys track from '72? Not something we have much of besides "You Need A Mess Of Help", "Marcella", and "Funky Pretty".

And yeah, I definitely agree with you AGD. I wouldn't for a second believe that the '77 "Burlesque" had anything to do with the '72 one, seeing as Mike seemed firmly in charge at MIU, its doubtful they'd dig up a 5-year old Brian song he disliked, no matter the lack of good Brian material available.
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 23, 2010, 12:33:29 PM »

Thanks Jon. Do you know if there are any attempts from Dennis singing the lead on "Only with You" floating around out there? I think his POB outtake version is magnificent.

There is a video of Dennis singing "Only With You". They say it's from a tv show rehearsal.
Dennis says "Carl was suppose to sing it but……he chickened out folks". It seems Murry was in the audience that night.

If you wanna see that video check the "Good Timin’ w/ Dennis on lead?" thread.

You see what I have done here?  

oldsurferdude
« Reply #70 on: September 23, 2010, 07:05:30 PM »

From the original "Jack Rieley Speaks" (which you can still read via Google cache):

Love didn't have much good to say about 'Til I Die, Tree, Long Promise Road or Feel Flows. They were depressing. They were downers. They were too ethereal. They were trivial. He accepted the importance of Surfs Up in a commercial sense, but derided its artistic merit. He hated Burlesque more than anything, particularly because its lyric is a about a stripper and even more pointedly because of the last line of that lyric. Fascinating, I thought, considering the man's own private life, that he was so adamant about family values on Beach Boys songs.

Burlesque was Brian at his most passionate, most playful, most daring, and it would have made a really cool track on the album. But Love killed it.
Did Dennis ever get the opportunity on stage to go over to Myke and knock his turban off his friggin' bald head?? Long, tree, til, surfs, flows-Brian and Carl at their best and the King of Clowns thought they were trivial? No, Jack, what was really fascinating was that they didn't jettison Luhv over a SoCal refinery back in the late 60's when he started to be phased out by Brian.
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 23, 2010, 07:23:05 PM »

Well, I dunno, the lyrics to both of the Carl tunes on Surf's Up are pretty shitty. They're purdy-soundin' songs though, gotta give 'em that!
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #72 on: September 24, 2010, 11:44:32 AM »

"pretty shitty"

Really?
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 24, 2010, 11:53:11 AM »

"pretty shitty"

Really?

Yes, "pretty shitty". They make little sense and although I'm sure (or hope, at least) that they were selected to sound good above all else, that they're basically psychobabble taken at random from a rhyming dictionary by Reiley -- and mixed pretty near to the front so you can't just get taken in by the sound of Carl's vocalising them -- makes me unable to ignore how terrible the actual lyrics are. It wouldn't have been too hard to make some lyrics that were not so awful. Michael Love can write better lyrics than those. Mike Love.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 24, 2010, 11:57:57 AM »

Agreed. The lyrics to "Feel Flows" and "Long Promised Road" are laughably bad. It always surprises me that more people don't give them the ridicule they deserve -- "So hard to laugh a childlike giggle" -- really?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 11:58:52 AM by Wirestone » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx