gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681107 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 23, 2024, 05:21:53 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian's improved voice on M.I.U. - mystery solved?  (Read 14891 times)
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 24, 2010, 04:32:50 PM »

It's long been debated why Brian's voice is in significantly better shape on the M.I.U. ALBUM than on albums before or since (at least until IMAGINATION).  My take on it has often been that a close listen to the songs, particularly the rougher mixes for the Christmas album, reveal that there's a good deal of studio "hiding the pickle" going on with Brian's vocals and they aren't as smooth as they first appear.  But buried deep in Craig Slowinski's marvelous essay on Dennis' BAMBU album comes this nugget:

"As the quality of Dennis' voice continued to deteriorate, vocal coach Bob Rose (who had engineered The Beach Boys' vocal sessions for the M.I.U. Album), was brought in to work with him."

So there was a dedicated engineer (and very probably vocal coach) for the M.I.U. sessions?  If so, this could certainly explain much of the improvement to Brian's vocal performance, coupled with the (presumed) enforced healthier lifestyle in Iowa.  This was news to me, but it makes sense (and the fact that Dennis called him in for just such a purpose strongly suggests that Rose was, in fact, at least partially responsible for Brian's improvement vocals on M.I.U.).
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 04:36:46 PM by adamghost » Logged
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 05:35:08 PM »

But...........that still doesn't explain to me why Brian's voice sounds like it did in the early seventies on the song "Matchpoint Of Our Love". There's a dramatic difference on that one song only!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Curtis Leon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 06:06:54 PM »

But...........that still doesn't explain to me why Brian's voice sounds like it did in the early seventies on the song "Matchpoint Of Our Love". There's a dramatic difference on that one song only!

I always thought the "Matchpoint" vocals are rather overrated. In reality, it's Brian's MIU voice, with a LOT of polish. Even the falsetto backing vocals are his late seventies version.

In the early seventies, he could still sing in the traditional Brian falsetto. It was much harder to use, I've heard, but he still had it, until at least 1974/1975. The very rare hint of falsetto on Holland doesn't show much decline so far. I believe the Pied Piper voice was achieved though a vibrato. The "Daddy Dear" demo, if sung by Brian, sounds like it would fit right in with the "Awake" demo, save for a section or two.

summerinparadise.flac
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 06:47:35 PM »

I always thought the "Matchpoint" vocals are rather overrated. In reality, it's Brian's MIU voice, with a LOT of polish. Even the falsetto backing vocals are his late seventies version.

In the early seventies, he could still sing in the traditional Brian falsetto. It was much harder to use, I've heard, but he still had it, until at least 1974/1975. The very rare hint of falsetto on Holland doesn't show much decline so far. I believe the Pied Piper voice was achieved though a vibrato. The "Daddy Dear" demo, if sung by Brian, sounds like it would fit right in with the "Awake" demo, save for a section or two.

Even considering the roughness of the falsetto Matchpoint is an albatross. The sweetness of his vocal is very similar to something like Busy Doing Nothin.

"I'll haunt you like a ghost"
-Brian Wilson, the Ruby song from Party.

Please support the Beach Boys without being a rude dude or grumpy gus.
summerinparadise.flac
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 06:51:38 PM »

Does anyone know David Leaf's whereabouts while this was being recorded?

"I'll haunt you like a ghost"
-Brian Wilson, the Ruby song from Party.

Please support the Beach Boys without being a rude dude or grumpy gus.
oldsurferdude
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 06:55:48 PM »

MIU seemed like a return to the traditional BB mix with Brian's "improved" vocals. While SGR was shrill, Matchpoint and WCOT were enjoyable leads from Brian. But listen to PP-the bv's sound like they did before his voice went down. Nice falsetto on KC and WOC as well.
Curtis Leon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 07:23:04 PM »

Even considering the roughness of the falsetto Matchpoint is an albatross. The sweetness of his vocal is very similar to something like Busy Doing Nothin.

True. I'd consider Matchpoint a softer version of Winter Symphony as far as the vocals go. Very odd. It could just be chalked up to a good day, I suppose.
Ganz Allein
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010, 07:36:06 PM »

Where exactly can Brian's falsetto be heard on Holland? I've listened for it in the harmonies but can never seem to definitively find it.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 08:39:19 PM »

Brian sings some of the high "na na na's" and "arrrrrrrahhhh's" on Steamboat.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2010, 12:05:42 AM »

What about She's Got Rhythm? That's his falsetto, yes? Although it is in decline, it is a real falsetto, me thinks. Either that, or he was chemically castrated by a spy of Landy's.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Nicko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2010, 12:20:03 AM »

Doesn't Al deserve some credit as he produced the vocals on the album and did a fine job.
Mooger Fooger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2010, 12:40:45 AM »

What I'd like to know is how someone who in his golden era could precisely match his vocals take after take on the multi-track, who knew lyrical assonance and alliteration, and who knew how to get that right wall of sound feel, could completely loose track of all that within the space of 6 years?

It is not just the damage to his voice, but the complete sloppiness of production that followed afterwards. To the point that the critics do a song and dance when Brian sings on key for more than 2 bars. When I listen to stuff up to Holland I hear rich vocal harmonies, anything after that sounds like the budweiser frogs!! From  wow to woah.
Curtis Leon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2010, 12:54:38 AM »

Where exactly can Brian's falsetto be heard on Holland? I've listened for it in the harmonies but can never seem to definitively find it.

He does the high voice in the tag to Funky Pretty as well as Steamboat. You know, the "Oooo, Funky!". He might be in the vocal blend too, I'm not sure. On the former though, his voice is sped up quite a bit, making it rather girlish. It's pretty much intact, though. He hits the notes quite well.
Curtis Leon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2010, 01:10:04 AM »

What about She's Got Rhythm? That's his falsetto, yes? Although it is in decline, it is a real falsetto, me thinks. Either that, or he was chemically castrated by a spy of Landy's.

She's Got Rhythm is indeed his falsetto. You can tell the damage, though. It's also probably one of the last falsetto leads he ever took. He uses the same falsetto essentially, all over 15 Big Ones and Love You AND Adult/Child, though. Harmonies on It's OK, Chapel of Love, I believe Everyone's in Love With You, Casual Look, part of the lead on Back Home, the intro to In the Still of the Night, Let Us Go on This Way, Johnny Carson, the high voice in Solar System, The Night Is So Young, the vocal breakdown in I Wanna Pick You Up, Airplane, Everybody Wants to Live, and It's Trying to Say. (And, of course, Hey Little Tomboy.) On here it's a bit sweeter, though. It's also kinda cheesy in my opinion. You can /tell/ that he's forcing it too hard.
Curtis Leon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2010, 01:23:27 AM »

What I'd like to know is how someone who in his golden era could precisely match his vocals take after take on the multi-track, who knew lyrical assonance and alliteration, and who knew how to get that right wall of sound feel, could completely loose track of all that within the space of 6 years?

It is not just the damage to his voice, but the complete sloppiness of production that followed afterwards. To the point that the critics do a song and dance when Brian sings on key for more than 2 bars. When I listen to stuff up to Holland I hear rich vocal harmonies, anything after that sounds like the budweiser frogs!! From  wow to woah.

Yeah. The Beach Boys were never the same after Holland. Love You can be forgiven, because it's basically a Brian Wilson demos with some occasional vocals by the Beach Boys.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2010, 01:36:52 AM »

Yeah. The Beach Boys were never the same after Holland. Love You can be forgiven, because it's basically a Brian Wilson demos with some occasional vocals by the Beach Boys.

No one is ever the same after a visit to Holland.

Curtis Leon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2010, 01:40:00 AM »

No one is ever the same after a visit to Holland.

ZING!  Cool
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2010, 03:42:34 AM »

He does the high voice in the tag to Funky Pretty as well as Steamboat. You know, the "Oooo, Funky!". He might be in the vocal blend too, I'm not sure. On the former though, his voice is sped up quite a bit, making it rather girlish. It's pretty much intact, though. He hits the notes quite well.

He also sings "Funky pretty gone" in his regular non-sped up voice.

Oddly, his vocal parts on So Tough sounded more like 1974-1975 (from what little bits have been heard). Example: the "what's in her head" part on Marcella and especially his line in He Came Down ( the OOOO oooo part) where he sounded like he did on 15 Big Ones (for the longest time I thought it was Dennis).

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2010, 03:49:19 AM »

Is it Brian's faraway falsetto in that bridge in 'My Diane'?

Curtis Leon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2010, 06:11:48 AM »

Is it Brian's faraway falsetto in that bridge in 'My Diane'?

Yeah, that's definitely him. On the subject of that song, too, Dennis has a much smoother vocal than he had before or since. Which lends some weight to the theory that some studio tampering went on behind the scenes.
Curtis Leon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2010, 06:17:12 AM »

Oddly, his vocal parts on So Tough sounded more like 1974-1975 (from what little bits have been heard). Example: the "what's in her head" part on Marcella and especially his line in He Came Down ( the OOOO oooo part) where he sounded like he did on 15 Big Ones (for the longest time I thought it was Dennis).

And yet, on the same album, the tag to "You Need a Mess of Help" has a Brian who could be reasonably considered the same, vocally wise, as before. Odd, very odd. I wish there was some way to bootleg the sessions for the two albums, just to get some isolated vocals. You know, I think I can hear a bit of very quite Brian vocals going along with the tag to Funky Pretty. That, or someone else. Around 2:50 - 2:55, someone gives a "Do do do". Not sure if that's him or not, but it's something I just discovered.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 06:23:47 AM by Curtis Leon » Logged
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2010, 09:15:31 AM »

And yet, on the same album, the tag to "You Need a Mess of Help" has a Brian who could be reasonably considered the same, vocally wise, as before. Odd, very odd. I wish there was some way to bootleg the sessions for the two albums, just to get some isolated vocals. You know, I think I can hear a bit of very quite Brian vocals going along with the tag to Funky Pretty. That, or someone else. Around 2:50 - 2:55, someone gives a "Do do do". Not sure if that's him or not, but it's something I just discovered.

Might the answer be so simple that it eludes us? When I smoked, and had drunk quite a few beers, my voice could really change wildly over the course of the next day. Early in the morning: no falsetto, and a hoarse rasp. After coffee with milk and sugar, and lots of orange juice, it got sweeter and my breathing got better. In the evening, my voice was smooth, and my falsetto was all there (and back than it really was an unusually high one, with a wide range).

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2010, 12:54:36 PM »

The "do do do" is Carl.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2010, 03:47:59 PM »

Another reason Brian sounded better on MIU is that he was on meidcation for anixiety which relaxed him (those are relaxed mellow leads). Also (and this showed up in several articles at the time) that Stan and Rocky were the ones holding Brian's smokes. They only let him have a few a day. There was on article where Brian wants a smoke and Rocky is saying "hit that high note Brian....again....now another step higher...." just to make sure he wasn't gruff sounding. Then he got his smokes.

Also, in 1979, when the guys were on tour, the would do Hawaii with Brian singing his falsetto part. He wasn't bad either.
Curtis Leon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2010, 05:11:41 PM »

The "do do do" is Carl.

Yeah, it's hard to tell with these guys. Being family and all.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx