gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:37:03 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Spirit of America" Changed My Life  (Read 3060 times)
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 23, 2006, 03:00:17 PM »

It was November 1997 when I first heard "Pet Sounds."  I had heard so much about the album that I asked a guy to make a tape for me.  I was blown away after the first two lines of lyric in "Wouldn't It Be Nice."  That Thanksgiving, we made the 5 hour drive to Buffalo, NY to visit family.  I had my walkman and played the album over and over every second I was in the car.  I had always thought the Beach Boys were lame.  They were all over the oldies station but I had never really listened to them.  But hearing all the respect Brian was getting for this album, I just had to check it out.

A few months later, I was sitting in my room when my mom brought in a double LP set, "Spirit of America" that she had bought at an antique store.  At first I was pretty ungrateful.  I told her I only cared about "Pet Sounds" and this other stuff was lame.  Heck, could you imagine an album with cover art more gay than "Spirit of America" for a guy who just had his heart pulled out and shown to him via "Pet Sounds"?

I eventually put it on and my world changed.  First is "Dance Dance Dance."  That high falsetto of Brian's completely drew me in.  Then, it's "Break Away."  The harmonies and background vocals of that one also caught my attention.  As if that wasn't enough, the acapella "A Young Man Is Gone" followed third.  A one-two-three punch I was never expecting!  You flip the record over and there are the harmonies of "Hushabye" and "Hawaii."  I still love Brian's soaring "so!" in the chorus.  "Good to My Baby" rocked me.  Side three has "Please Let Me Wonder," which was as good as anything on "Pet Sounds."  Side four had "Don't Back Down" and "When I Grow Up (To Be a Man)."

Before you knew it, I had the "Good Vibrations" box, the "Pet Sounds" box, and all the remasters.  I found Brian Wilson's 88 solo album on LP.  I was there for the release of "Imagination."  Then the Brother Records two-fers.  Endless Harmony, Ultimate Christmas, Hawthorne CA, etc.  It kept coming and coming.  I could never get enough.  I got wrapped up in the SMiLE scene and joined this board a week after it debuted in London in Feb 2004 to take part in all the amazing discussion.  Each album has it's own unique story and how I uncovered it.

Like "Wild Honey," which I first found on cassette for $3.99.  It was the first I heard of post-"Pet Sounds" Beach Boys.  At first I hated it.  There were no drums on these songs and the harmonies weren't as impressive as the past.  But before you knew it, I wore that tape out.  Playing it over and over and over in my car.  Same with "Love You."  But that was the vinyl.  At first it's bizarre, but you eventually love it and shower yourself in it.  Brian's music is so important to me.  I have to echo Sean Lennon's quote that you can't be depressed when you hear the Beach Boys.  "I listen to it everyday."  I can't imagine my life without Brian and his music.  All because of a nice guy who dubbed "Pet Sounds" for me (which I now have many copies of) and a random purchase by my mom in an antique shop.

I started to begin feeling like I was in some great underground scene.  A hugely popular band whose best material isn't very well known and whose fans are hardcore.  When I would buy an album, I'd get props by the guy behind the counter.  Treating me like his best friend.  Though one time I was insulted by the person taking my money.  I was buying "Greatest Hits Vol. 3: Best of the Brother Years."  A guy behind the counter told me the lady checking me out doesn't like the Beach Boys and she shot back saying it was because "she has taste."  I just sat there, waiting for my change.  Ahh I don't care.  She'll never experience what I experience.  I love the Beach Boys!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 03:07:52 PM by TV Forces » Logged
RobtheNobleSurfer
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2006, 05:41:28 PM »

Great post! I think all BB fans have gone through this experience.
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2006, 06:09:15 PM »

The Beach Boys' music is awesome.

Watch out for snakes!
SurferGirl7
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2006, 07:07:16 AM »

Spirit of America is a cool album. I made a tape of it for my mom and she ended up really liking it. She wore the tape out, so now I have to make another one. I don't mind doing so though  Grin
Day Tripper
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2006, 08:50:46 AM »

You should call your mom and thank her for buying that for you.  I think those compilation albums like Spirit of America and Endless Summer brought a lot of new fans in, who eventualy got turned on to Pet Sounds and the songs that were recorded during Smile. I mentioned Smile to Jon Brion (producer of Fiona Apple, Kanye West, Aimme Mann, movie soundtracks etc) once and he said that he had a Smile obsession for a very long time. Brian Wilson's growth as a songwriter is amazing, and this album showcases it. I enjoyed reading your post. Think I'll go listen to that album now.
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2006, 03:36:55 PM »

Thanks guys!

Any of fans here want to share how they got into the band?

Was it a compilation or a proper album?
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2006, 03:58:21 PM »

1995. I was going through a rough time in my life and had attempted suicide. I started reading a lot, to get my minds off of stuff. I read Brian's "autobiography" because I liked the cover. No, I don't understand that one either, although I was reading a lot of celeb bios at the time. I only knew the "oldies" stuff, and stupidly thought  that that's all there was. I saw BW88 for 99 cents (tape copy) in the clearance bin, and bought it. Loved it so much that I bought Smiley Smile; I was stupid, and thought it was the same as SMiLE. Still loved it, bought Wild Honey, loved that, then bought IJWMFTT, thought it was okay, then bought Pet Sounds. Been hooked ever since. Got tape copies of just about everything from a someone online, guy by the name of Fred Scerbo. Used to talk to him a lot, great guy. I found out last year that he passed away a few years back. Did not know that;made me real sad. Still does; wonder what he would have thought of BWPS....

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
SurferGirl7
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2006, 04:19:20 PM »

Thanks guys!

Any of fans here want to share how they got into the band?

Was it a compilation or a proper album?

I was going through a rough time freshmen year in High School. I had a lot of school problems and I was still really getting picked on. I had a really bad Friday before Memorial Day weekend. I was really bored and sad and I found Pet Sounds in the basement. That day started a lot of things....
PMcC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2006, 10:01:27 PM »

Heard Endless Summer in High school, and it knocked me out. Bought the double album. In college, traded 2 Led Zep albums for an original Pet Sounds pressing from 1966..Heard my 1st Smile boot in the early 90's...And it just feels like their sound has always been with me. Quite strange to think about, really. I was in the kitchen in 1967 when I heard Good Vibrations for the 1st time. I will never forget the feeling of wondering when it was going to end, and never wanting it to end, at the same time. I was quite young, but I remember that feeling. Must have been the way that sound affected a lot of people listening in. Jaw dropping stuff..we are so used to hearing it now, but back then....whew!!

"Anytime I want to hear the Beach Boys, I put on a Brian Wilson CD"-Paul McClelland
Compost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2006, 07:46:18 AM »

I bought 'Endless Summer' for my birthday when I was 7.  My Mom took me to Radio Shack and said I could pick out any record I wanted (I had also just received my brother's old Sears, plastic record player - the brief case kind).  I was drawn to the album cover and the fact that it had TWO records in it.  Serendipity at its most beautiful.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx