gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680852 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 03:19:33 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys at Mountain Winery - Saratoga, CA - August 2, 2009  (Read 5428 times)
1975 Boy
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« on: August 03, 2009, 03:29:26 AM »

The Mountain Winery is a great place to see a show as Mike said in this interview.  http://www.mercurynews.com/peninsula/ci_12957588

It wasn't sold out, but fairly close.

This was the 4th time I have seen the band, saw them back during the reunited time period with Brian in the late 70's/early 80's. My first concert I ever saw was The Beach Boys when I was 13. Tonight, our 7 year old daughters came with us and this was their very forst concert - so The Beach Boys are now their first concert as well which is cool as a parent sort of passing that on.

The crowd was initially somewhat mellow, rising up for the first time during Surfin USA. Then was mellow then up again as Bruce encouraged people to stand up. After the break/intermission they came back with California Girls and because it was also dark by then - the crowd came more alive with enthusiasm and it stayed pretty up for the most part. Especially the last several songs that were more singable from everyone.

I haven't seen The Beach Boys in over 20 years, so it was a bit odd seeing just Mike and Bruce. Sometimes it almost felt like a Beach Boys cover band when Mike wasn't singing. It was still very high quality music and shared covering of Carl's vocals on his songs was well done. But still weird just seeing Mike and Brian only left. During the intermission the people near me got into a discussion and the energy picked up greatly thinking about a possible 50th Anniversary reunion with Brian and Al coming together for a tour with Mike and Brian. I probably wouldn't see The Beach Boys again unless it was with Brian and Al joining them. But I am glad we went as it was a great first concert for our daughters to go to and nostalgic since they were my first concert.

I am pretty certain, the set list was identical to the Englewood, NJ setlist posted here - except that  Kokomo was played right before Fun, Fun, Fun.

It was an older crowd for sure. Not too many children there and barely anyone in their teens or 20's. Mainly people in their 40's, 50's 60's. Maybe because it was an evening show not too many families went. During Barbara Ann or Help Me Rhonda, a 9 year old girl (or around that age) went on the stage and sang and danced mainly with Bruce. Her dad was in the front row and enthusiastically cell phone filming.

It was a bery fun show. Very nostalgic. Very high quality band. I kept wondering what percentage of the crowd could tell who was missing or not from the original band, or didn't care and assumed they were the originals. Didn't matter I guess, as people seemed to just have fun on a summer night listening to classic Beach Boys songs.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 08:44:02 AM »

Probably clear to many that the younger more energetic members were not of the original band.   Most would recognize Mike's vocals on the hits where he sang lead.  Cowsill and Totten add a strong presence and a lot of talent to the mix.  Bruce seemed  a little tired when I saw them.  The harmony is very well done and faithful to the original sound.   If Al rejoined the road band I don't think I would replace any of the existing members.  Th existing band plus Al.   That would almost be the Beach Boys.
1975 Boy
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 10:46:50 PM »

I cannot stop thinking about whether what I went to as "The Beach Boys" is really "The Beach Boys" with Mike and Brice as the only 2 Beach Boys there and Brian and Al touring on their own, but not using "The Beach Boys" name - so why should Mike and Bruce call themselves "The Beach Boys"  since the others don't?

I posted a question and some comments on the general Beach Boys discussion section called "When are The beach Boys really "The Beach Boys" and would appreciate any thoughts on that. Thank you!

I had total fun at the concert and it was great! But I just keep thinking it was more of a cover band than "The Beach Boys".
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 07:14:08 PM »

did you come off of the mountain the same road you went up?  I didnt and was a bit disoriented spilling out on the highway way gown the road on the OTHER side of Saratoga.  Great place for the show otherwisw.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 10:39:55 PM »

I cannot stop thinking about whether what I went to as "The Beach Boys" is really "The Beach Boys" with Mike and Brice as the only 2 Beach Boys there and Brian and Al touring on their own, but not using "The Beach Boys" name - so why should Mike and Bruce call themselves "The Beach Boys"  since the others don't?

I posted a question and some comments on the general Beach Boys discussion section called "When are The beach Boys really "The Beach Boys" and would appreciate any thoughts on that. Thank you!

I had total fun at the concert and it was great! But I just keep thinking it was more of a cover band than "The Beach Boys".
Mike gets to use the BBs name because Brother gave him permission to do it in exchange for Brian, Al, and Carl's estate all getting a cut of the touring profits.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx