gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680742 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 05:49:26 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Brian Wilson Reimagines Gershwin
5 - 44 (48.4%)
4 - 25 (27.5%)
3 - 17 (18.7%)
2 - 3 (3.3%)
1 - 0 (0%)
0 - 2 (2.2%)
Total Voters: 86

Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson Reimagines Gershwin  (Read 27779 times)
carl r
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2011, 04:53:38 AM »

Certainly agree on the 2 standouts mentioned here, and Nothing But Love is a lot of fun, which as people have mentioned, could have been on 15 Big Ones. But that still makes a sort-of-OK strike rate, and I'd add those 3 to any best-of compilation. Much of the rest isn't that bad, and only criticism is a little bit bland. If I'm going to criticise individual tracks, I'd mention It Ain't Necessarily So, I Got Rythm, They Can't Take..., Summertime, S'Wonderful. But even then, can I really be inclined to criticise, they're all accomplished... Undecided
homeontherange
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2011, 05:18:18 PM »

Very good album. Not too keen on the production, but Brian sounds good and the arrangements are stellar.

Someone To Watch Over Me is the best thing I've heard in a long time. GREAT arrangement, wonder if Brian did this one, it's very very good. Almost Pet Sounds-ish
Dr. Tim
Smiley Smile Associate

"Would you put a loud count on it for us please?"

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2011, 06:47:33 PM »

This is interesting and ambitious.  The Like In I Love You sounds more Brian than Gershwin.  "Summertime" and "Someone to Watch Over Me" are two of my favorite Gershwin songs and I like Brian's inventive take on both. I like the a capella Rhapsody in Blue but I vacillate on the rich harmonies vs. this seems like a cunning stunt, as they say.

Saw Brian do the album live this past summer and he clearly enjoyed it; he was much more into this part of the program than the oldies sets he's been doing since retaking the stage.

Hey kids! Remember:
mono mixes suck donkey dick
Scotty
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2012, 01:40:30 PM »

Avex Network in Japan has just (5/9/12) re-released the CD including the bonus track "Let's Call the Whole Thing off" which has only been available as MP3 download as far as I know.
Source: http://avexnet.jp/id/brwil/discography/product/AVCW-12891.html
Didn't ordered a copy for myself since I don't like that bonus song that much. And I'm simply happy with the vinyl album.
musicismylife101
Smiley Smile Associate

The introverted phlegmatic ecapist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2012, 05:30:40 PM »

Brian sounds great vocally and the production is great! Sounds like in the past few years he's vocally aging backwards!  Shocked Best tracks are I've Got a Crush on You, They Can't Take That Away From Me, I Got Rhythm, and It Ain't Necessarily So. Great tribute to a notable composer.

SgtTimBob
Smiley Smile Associate

Music Maker Extrodonaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2012, 02:52:58 PM »

I love this record! How wonderful of Brian to pay tribute to arguably his biggest musical hero like this. It's a fantastic feast for the ears.

I don't understand the complaints about it sounding too modern... it's a modern album! Yeah it would sound different if it were recorded in the Pet Sounds era, but it wasn't. I love Brian's 60s work dearly, but I also love the fact that he's producing work even now all these decades later. His modern work sounds modern? Erm... well yeah. Also, I think this has a much more organic and natural sound to it than Brian Wilson Presents SMiLE. To me the sound is faithful to the jazz that is at the heart of Gershwin and Brian's music.

The album has a wonderful flow to it, shifting effortlessly between the cool jazz beats, slow ballads and the upbeat shuffle music, delivering many satisfying surprises along the way. There's the occasional gorgeous Brian key change here, a marvellous Gershwin string break there. The way all this is tied up in that great Pet Sounds esque percussion, those great BW bass lines and splendid harmonies is a real treat. The arrangements really do feel like a perfect marriage of the two composers music.

Finally I am grateful to Brian for continuing to produce quality work. It'd be really easy for him to just sit back and collect royalties, but he continues to produce and play live because he obviously still has a huge passion for what he does.

phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2012, 05:06:09 AM »

Been listening to A Little Touch of Schmilsson in the Night a lot lately and it really struck me that there are indeed some similarities between that one and BWRG. They really should've named this one Wilson Sings Gershwin as a nod to Nilsson Sings Newman. I bet that both critics and hardcore fans would've loved that.
RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2013, 07:28:14 AM »

Right from the start I dislike the whole idea of this album. I just don't find it original at any level, it's a filler in Brian's career. But I guess he had fun doing it and well, the result isn't that bad. It's decent. Not bad, not great, but listenable. That Lucky Old Sun is a lot better IMO.

Highlights for me are:

The Like In I Love You
They Can't Take That Away From Me
I Got Rhythm (the best song of the album)

Oh I almost forgot, 3/5.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 07:29:11 AM by RiC » Logged
MaxL
Smiley Smile Associate

"It's a damn shame"

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2013, 07:47:54 AM »

Been listening to A Little Touch of Schmilsson in the Night a lot lately and it really struck me that there are indeed some similarities between that one and BWRG. They really should've named this one Wilson Sings Gershwin as a nod to Nilsson Sings Newman. I bet that both critics and hardcore fans would've loved that.

At the two Gershwin tour shows I saw when Brian introduced the first set he would say how the record people approached him to do, in his words, "Wilson Sings Gershwin". So you never know, could've been a real contender for the album title at some point.
carl r
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2014, 03:02:08 AM »

Brian's greatest work since Love You. His best solo album by far. Absolutely magnificent. 5 all the way.

I think it might be a true classic. I can listen to it 4 years later and it still sounds amazing, if not better than it did initially.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2014, 03:02:42 PM »

It wasn't a bad album I suppose. Not a favourite, but I guess it's quite good.

3.5 out of 5.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2016, 09:52:05 PM »

I was initially cool to this album, but I put it on tonight for the first time in several years and ....well, I don't know why I didn't like it at first. Brian is singing well here, great melodies produced well, ...yeah, definitely going to give this more spins right now. I rate it a 4. Not quite in the classic category like TLOS or OCA, but very enjoyable listening.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx