gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 12:10:00 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson - SPAC - Saratoga Springs, NY - July 15, 2001  (Read 7514 times)
Bubba Ho-Tep
« on: February 23, 2006, 12:57:16 PM »

Brian Wilson - SPAC - Saratoga Springs, NY - July 15, 2001

When Brian announced he would be touring with Paul Simon in 2001, I figured there was a good chance that the tour might make it up to my neck of the woods and I wouldn’t have to drive all day to see Brian. I had seen Brian twice before; first in Massachusetts and then in the far away, distant land of New Hampshire in a rainstorm, each time driving for hours and hours.

Sure enough, a show was announced in Saratoga NY and I was one happy clam. I can get to the Saratoga Performing Arts center in 30 minutes on a good day. Finally, Brian was coming into my backyard to do a show. I told the wife (who was not yet my wife at the time) to keep her schedule free for that Sunday because, by God, we’d be going to see Brian Wilson in concert. She had not joined me on my previous outings and this would be her first time getting religion with me, although we did attend a “Mike and Bruce” show at the same venue the previous summer on one of our first dates.

I went onto the Blueboard and told Melinda that I’d spread the word. I told her I’d hold a sign up down on the interstate to promote the show. I told her that there she and Brian should go to the Saratoga Racetrack and hang out for the day. I told her that I could meet them at the local Chinese Buffet. This was my town! Let me be your guide!

I waited outside of the local record shop one early Saturday morning to score tickets as soon as they went on sale. I got some good ones in the fifth row near the center and I was jazzed. I had hoped to get closer, but these were good enough.
I am not a huge Paul Simon fan. I like the old Simon & Garfunkel stuff and a handful of his solo songs, but not that much. I’ve always liked “American Tune” and “My Little Town”, but the little creep probably wouldn’t play those anyway. Interestingly enough, I had attended a Bob Dylan/Paul Simon show only 2 years before, although Dylan was the real draw for me. That concert doesn’t really stick out in my mind as a very memorable one.

I briefed my wife in advance of strategy, since it was announced that there would be an autograph signing between the two sets, which I thought was unheard of for a star of Brian’s magnitude. I explained to her that we had to start heading for the hills once Brian got to “Love and Mercy”. This was the big one, I told her. I’d be meeting my hero, sort of. This could forever alter the course of my life. She shook her head and questioned my sanity yet again.

Once we got there, I bought a program for Brian to sign and got in my seat down in the fifth row.  The seats directly in front of me were vacant and remained that way until the Paul Simon set. Those snobby jerks thought they were too good for Brian Wilson and didn’t bother to come down until he was nearly finished. I wanted to beat the hell out of them and piss on their precious Paul Simon memorabilia. Stinking Paul Simon fans with money to burn, buying prime seats and then not bothering to fill them until the show is half over. This would not be the last time I would have to deal with a-hole Paul Simon fans…

Anyway, the wife and I are sitting there waiting for the show when down the isle comes Melinda, who sits 3 seats 2 my left. Cool. I had seats as good as Melinda’s, so that’s something to feel good about. I could have gave her the shout out or introduced myself, as I had exchanged words with her on the Blueboard several times, but I don’t like talking to people, so I let it slide. My wife caught the first glimpse of Brian, sticking his head out of the curtains to get a nervous glimpse of the audience. Unfortunately, a lot of the venue was still empty. I don’t know what they were waiting for. A few minutes later Brian took the stage to silence, as no one seemed aware that the show was starting. It was still quite light (only 7 pm), so maybe they were confused. I screamed my head off to make him feel welcomed. Brian commented that a lot of people hadn’t gotten into their seats yet, but they were going to start anyway.

He kicked things off with “Til I Die”, which in hindsight seems like a poor opener. But he started rocking soon enough, and most of the audience eventually got in gear and sat down. This was also the tour that Brian began previewing some of the Smile material, which I was very excited to hear. Prayer, H&V, Surf’s UP were mindblowers. My wife and I were also looking forward to “Forever”, which Brian sang quite beautifully.

My wife kept an eye on Melinda because that’s the sort of thing she’s interested in. She reported that when Brian missed a lyric Melinda gave him a mean look, and that she kept reminding him to smile, although she must have given up at some point because he definitely wasn’t very happy on this day. I kept my eyes on him the whole show, hanging on his every word. His face was partially hidden behind a prompter and his eyes were filled with pain. It was at that moment that I realized that all the applause in the world wasn’t going to make him better.

But it’s the music that matters, isn’t it? And the music was incredible. Before the show, when we were waiting outside the venue, we heard a portion of the soundcheck and I caught wind of a song that hadn’t been on previous set lists, according to our friends on the Internet. I grabbed my wife by the arm and told her it was ‘Marcella’, and by the sounds of it, it freaking rocks! Sure enough, during the show, Marcella was unveiled and it was the hardest rocking thing I ever heard from Brian. It was a killer! Far better than the original recorded version. Hopefully some Paul Simonites were converted on that warm evening in July.

Soon the time came to make our move to the autograph table, which I had located before the show began. We fought our way up the hill while the tender harmonies of “Love and Mercy” tickled us in the background. We stood in line for about 5 minutes when a golf cart appeared carrying the man himself, Brian Wilson. I started to freak out. The line moved along with regularity. As we got closer, we saw that Brian was not in “great shape” at all. He looked catatonic, moving and speaking verrrrrrry slooooowly. He didn’t look up at the people he was meeting. I was not dismayed. I placed my program down in front of him and waited for him to sign it. Then I said “Thank You Brian” loudly so he could hear it. He did not respond. I was not dismayed. The transaction happened so fast that I can barely remember it. It’s just a blur.

I took a moment to compose myself, then realized that the rest of the band had also congregated in the vicinity, so I turned to program to their page and started catching up to them, one at a time. First came the beautiful Taylor Mills, who graciously signed my book with her fancy, classy signature. I said “thank you” but did not go any further. Next to her was Scott Bennett, and he signed next. I thanked him, but didn’t say anything else. Melinda was there as well, so I got her signature too. Again, here was a fine opportunity to introduce myself and see if she remembered me as that funny guy on the Blueboard, but I was too shy to speak up. In fact, I have crossed her path at every concert I have attended since then yet still haven’t mustered up the courage to speak to her. I guess she kind of intimidating. Next was Darian, who provoked and encouraged conversation, so I conversed. I told him that I really liked the addition of Marcella. He knew from my t-shirt that I had attended other tours, and I told him that I had liked this show best which surprised him. I thought that the Smile material and the Holland era stuff really added a lot, the only set back being that Brian had only 75 minutes to do his thing. Darian was very kind and took his time signing the program, drawing what looked like an atomic symbol. I talked to Bob Lizik next, who I pretty much said the same thing to. He said he really like Marcella and likes to rock out. Probyn, Jim and Jeff were also there and signed my book. I didn’t try to converse with Jeff cause he was talking to some chicks and I didn’t want to get in his way, but I got his sig. Andy Paley was last. I asked him about his work with Brian, specifically  “Marketplace” and he said, yeah, that was one of their favorites too. I wished him the best and walked away. The only signatures I didn’t get were Nick and Paul, although I would get to Nick at the next show…

I was on cloud nine. I looked back and watched as Brian got back on the golf cart, along with other band members, and headed back to wherever he came from. It was amazing to think that he was right there, sitting in front of me. I thought that moment wouldn’t be topped, but eventually, it was.

We went back to our seats for the Paul Simon set, and it was good. He acted a bit peculiar at times, I thought. This is coming from a Brian Wilson fan, and I know peculiar behavior when I see it. I thought he had a great band and even discovered a new song of his that I really liked called “The Teacher”.

So I went home that night with my mind blown. A great show, conveniently located. Brian sitting at a table before me. Could it be topped? I’d find out a few days later with an unexpected trip to New Jersey…
Jason
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2006, 01:06:49 PM »

Great review! The best one I've read so far.
SurferGirl7
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2006, 01:07:44 PM »

Wow!! Again another really cool concert review. At least you got to meet some of the band (and especially Mr. Paley!!!). These kinds of reviews are always fun to read  Smiley
JimC1702
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2006, 11:46:55 AM »

Great review!   Did you go back to SPAC to see Brian in 2005?   I live about 35 miles away and went to that one, but missed the 2001 show.

"Beautiful...beautiful...now it sounds like jewelry.........here we go"
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2006, 01:17:23 PM »

Yes, I was there in '05 for Smile. Of the 3 Smile show I attended last year, I felt it was the best. Not sure if I'll review that one. I don't have any funny anecdotes about it. It was Nelson's birthday, though....
GoodToMyBaby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2006, 03:33:32 PM »

Yes, I was there in '05 for Smile. Of the 3 Smile show I attended last year, I felt it was the best. Not sure if I'll review that one. I don't have any funny anecdotes about it. It was Nelson's birthday, though....
i loved that show

Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2007, 11:52:49 PM »

Wow, I didn't know Brian played SPAC. I live only about 1 1/2 hours north of there. If he had come up a little farther north, maybe Burlington, VT, Plattsburgh, NY, or Montreal, it'd be super easy for me to get to one of his shows.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx