gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681504 Posts in 27639 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 09, 2024, 04:32:24 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: BRiAN WiLS0N LUVS U - 2012  (Read 10213 times)
nobody is a chode
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 19, 2010, 09:25:54 AM »

An albums' worth of material is in the can.

True... and some of it's pretty good, but I have the impression that the Pleasure Island notion has been put on the back burner.

I think Wirestone was joking but inadvertently got AGD to admit to something he otherwise might've been more guarded about!

Result!! The myth machine is in full swing now. Love You 2 (Aka Pleasure Yourself Island) here we come ...

Brian "Loves" You (in a way that might make most listeners uncomfortable)

He already did that... see I Wanna Pick You Up, or Roller Skating Child...

Keep your children away from BW. He lures them in with birthday cake and zany antics. Then behind closed doors, naked, he turns into Murry, complete with glass eye falling out of its socket.  Evil

buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 19, 2010, 12:12:11 PM »

An albums' worth of material is in the can.

True... and some of it's pretty good, but I have the impression that the Pleasure Island notion has been put on the back burner.

I think Wirestone was joking but inadvertently got AGD to admit to something he otherwise might've been more guarded about!

Result!! The myth machine is in full swing now. Love You 2 (Aka Pleasure Yourself Island) here we come ...

Brian "Loves" You (in a way that might make most listeners uncomfortable)

He already did that... see I Wanna Pick You Up, or Roller Skating Child...

Keep your children away from BW. He lures them in with birthday cake and zany antics. Then behind closed doors, naked, he turns into Murry, complete with glass eye falling out of its socket.  Evil

Yeah I listened to Lazy Lizzie for the 1st time ever the other day, and that's even more creepy than Hey Little Tomboy, which is saying something.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: August 19, 2010, 09:56:40 PM »

Part of the creepiness is unintentional.

I mean the part where there whispering. I can't really hear what their whispering but it totally seems like guy whispering 'Hey, little girl do you want some candy?" I mean, I don't hear those words at all, it just feels like that in the context of the song. In fact, after listening a few times, I realized it was just the boys or Brian and Dennis and Carl or whoever standing around a mike whispering while they were waiting for their cue to sing the final chorus assuming the whispering would be edited out eventually.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: August 19, 2010, 11:26:29 PM »

I mean the part where there whispering. I can't really hear what their whispering but it totally seems like guy whispering 'Hey, little girl do you want some candy?" I mean, I don't hear those words at all, it just feels like that in the context of the song. In fact, after listening a few times, I realized it was just the boys or Brian and Dennis and Carl or whoever standing around a mike whispering while they were waiting for their cue to sing the final chorus assuming the whispering would be edited out eventually.

Not clear if we're talking "Tomboy" or "Lizzie" here (that or I'm being overly dim).

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Menace Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 20, 2010, 07:55:17 AM »

"Christine Sixteen" was also written in late 76 or 77.  Rock stars seemed to feel pretty comfortable about lusting after school girls in those days.

"Jeff, you care." --BW
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 20, 2010, 08:12:34 AM »

"Pleasure Island" actually originates with PINOCCHIO; it's where runaway boys are taken to indulge themselves before being turned into donkeys for slave labor (or, more metaphorically, where indulging boys become asses). "Pleasure Island" is also the name of the adult nightclub area of Disney's Marketplace in Orlando, FL.

Since Brian is doing his Disney album next, the whole "Pleasure Island" idea might actually fit! I don't care much for Brian's original concept, but if he tied in the idea of youthful excess vs. adult responsibility, it could be pretty heady (yeah, I know - it would never happen).
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 21, 2010, 02:40:45 AM »

I agree. We live in a society that likes to 'psychologize', also in situations where this isn't appropriate. There are in fact philosopers who reject all types of psychologizing, because 'reading meaning' into another's talk and behaviour can very easily slip into the taking over of that other's own feelings, and stories. If I am right the old Romans taught something similar into their classes of rhetoric. Only clear outward signs were accepted as meaning something (crying, laughing, that kind of stuff).

I don't doubt for a second that Brian's songs that are seen as 'weird' weren't meant to communicate something unbecoming at all. For this listener they were and are expressions of an almost humbling form of naivité. Humbling, in that most people usually do what is the social norm, there's more calculation in them.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx