gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 03:06:34 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: TLOS Sound Quality  (Read 18227 times)
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 17, 2010, 06:22:10 AM »

...I played it yesterday, and it hurt my ears, even at a low level. Am I talking 'brickwalled', or 'strangely mastered', or 'wrong pressing' here? Was there ever a thread devoted to the matter? I seemed to detected a lot of apparent distortion. What are the available alternatives?

Tks in advance.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 06:39:06 AM »

That sucks man.  You've trained your ears to the point where you can't listen to normal music anymore.  Sucks to be you!  I would hate that! I listen to that CD (did yesterday!) and it sounds great. 
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 06:42:27 AM »

...I played it yesterday, and it hurt my ears, even at a low level. Am I talking 'brickwalled', or 'strangely mastered', or 'wrong pressing' here? Was there ever a thread devoted to the matter? I seemed to detected a lot of apparent distortion. What are the available alternatives?

Tks in advance.

I got the UK pressing on the day of release - unlistenable. I mean... unlistenable.

I got the US pressing a few weeks later - no problems. In the interim, partly in desperation I guess, I'd ripped my UK pressing to my iPod, where it suddenly became listenable. So, my only conclusion is that someone mistakenly sent the download master to the UK instead of the CD master.

And yes, it's hot mastered/brickwalled to the max.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 06:46:56 AM »

Tks in advance.

I got the UK pressing on the day of release - unlistenable. I mean... unlistenable.

I got the US pressing a few weeks later - no problems. In the interim, partly in desperation I guess, I'd ripped my UK pressing to my iPod, where it suddenly became listenable. So, my only conclusion is that someone mistakenly sent the download master to the UK instead of the CD master.

And yes, it's hot mastered/brickwalled to the max.

Cheers Andrew. I have a strong hunch that we heard the same type of problem. And thanks for the hint - I will seek out a US version sometime. Because the music itself is great. There's all this detail, the fleeting thoughts on a warm afternoon, summery haze, the nice fragmented structure of some songs, well, that's my 2 cents anyway.

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 06:47:44 AM »

That sucks man.  You've trained your ears to the point where you can't listen to normal music anymore.  Sucks to be you!  I would hate that! I listen to that CD (did yesterday!) and it sounds great. 

That's what I tell women: it sucks to be me. Is that why I am unmarried?

?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 01:53:38 PM »

The vinyl pressing of TLOS is considerably better than the US cd for what it's worth.
nobody is a chode
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 06:15:37 PM »

The vinyl pressing of TLOS is considerably better than the US cd for what it's worth.

Do you have the ability and time to make a vinyl rip? I'd be very interested in hearing that, as I would any other Beach Boys/BW vinyl rips anyone would care to share with this fanboy.

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2010, 11:44:22 PM »

Do you have the ability and time to make a vinyl rip? I'd be very interested in hearing that, as I would any other Beach Boys/BW vinyl rips anyone would care to share with this fanboy.

You'll have to wait some time, but I can surely rip some goodies for you eventually.

absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2010, 06:06:26 AM »

We discussed this back when TLOS came out.

You might recall I posted images of the waveform for two tracks (MAD and GH) from a ripped CD and sampled vinyl LP. The CD exhibited a certain amount of what they call "brickwalling" whereas the vinyl had none.

It is a *very* poorly mastered CD...at least the European version. The vinyl is acceptable but even that sucks for something which states it is "produced by Brian Wilson"
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2010, 06:39:55 AM »

Producing is not the same as mastering.
?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2010, 11:55:47 AM »

Producing is not the same as mastering.

No it's not, but his assessment of the record is correct.  The vinyl is the best, but it's the best of a bad bunch.  Unlike BWPS, which is stunning on vinyl, TLOS is just ok.  It's rather unfortunate that "just ok" happens to be the best option out there.

Sorry So cold, but although my system is great my soundcard is decidedly not.  One of these days I plan on getting a nice one to do some 24/96 rips of my collection.
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2010, 01:18:44 PM »

Yeah, but it's not Brian's fault it sounds like sh*t. He doesn't master his own albums and ostensibly doesn't care to know how to do this either.
rogerlancelot
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2010, 03:25:59 PM »

Yeah, but it's not Brian's fault it sounds like merda. He doesn't master his own albums and ostensibly doesn't care to know how to do this either.

IT BURNS!!!
 Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil

[attachment deleted by admin]
nobody is a chode
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2010, 03:28:53 PM »

Yeah, but it's not Brian's fault it sounds like merda. He doesn't master his own albums and ostensibly doesn't care to know how to do this either.

I wonder whether Brian even knows what his records sound like these days. The guy has one ear and his records are mixed in stereo. That alone speaks volumes. Block off one ear entirely and try to mix accurately in stereo.

What I want to know is - does Brian make a mono mix for himself? I would LOVE to get my hands on something like that. I believe that Brian was masterful at mixing in mono and it's a damn shame that he hasn't bothered with it for years.
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2010, 02:37:53 AM »

Brian has said that he moves from one speaker to the other to get an idea of what it sounds like in stereo.

How much producing Brian actually did on TLOS is....debatable... Nothing about the way it sounds gives me the impression that he was interested after he'd laid down the tracks. Which is a shame as the music is *great* and the album really comes together as a whole. It just sounds like the aural equivalent of a bad hangover.

I agree that the CD is totally unlistenable. The vinyl is just about OK and the waveforms I posted back in 2008 to this very board prove beyond doubt that they went through different mastering processes.

SMiLE on the other hand is sublime on vinyl (the US pressing, the European was substandard). The CD even sounds pretty good.

I'm curious about the processing used on Brian's voice. Its rather minimal compared to most 'pop' records but there's something going on which I can't quite fathom.
Curtis Leon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2010, 02:42:33 AM »

Brian has said that he moves from one speaker to the other to get an idea of what it sounds like in stereo.

How much producing Brian actually did on TLOS is....debatable... Nothing about the way it sounds gives me the impression that he was interested after he'd laid down the tracks. Which is a shame as the music is *great* and the album really comes together as a whole. It just sounds like the aural equivalent of a bad hangover.

I agree that the CD is totally unlistenable. The vinyl is just about OK and the waveforms I posted back in 2008 to this very board prove beyond doubt that they went through different mastering processes.

SMiLE on the other hand is sublime on vinyl (the US pressing, the European was substandard). The CD even sounds pretty good.

I'm curious about the processing used on Brian's voice. Its rather minimal compared to most 'pop' records but there's something going on which I can't quite fathom.

Man, I'd love to get my hands on a vinyl copy of SMiLE or TLOS. Gerswhin too. No record player, unfortunately... And I can't find any vinyl rips of any of the albums, either.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2010, 08:33:37 AM »

I'm just glad i'm ignorant enough to think my version of the CD sounds fantastic. 
nobody is a chode
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2010, 09:22:13 AM »

I'm just glad i'm ignorant enough to think my version of the CD sounds fantastic. 

You're a snooty little fellow aren't you? It's just down to how each person hears the sound, man. To some people, it sounds fucking harsh and ugly and when it's turned loud it's uncomfortable to listen to.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2010, 12:42:47 PM »

What's snooty mean? 

I'm just saying, i'm not musically talented enough to hear anything wrong with the album.  IGORANCE IS BLISS, you know the saying.  The album sounds spectacular to me. 
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2010, 02:18:31 AM »

Much of the reason why TLOS sounds horrible on CD is because of the compression used. Put simply, the 'quiet' bits are almost as loud as the 'loud' bits.

Take the CD and the vinyl of the same song and you find greater dynamic range on the vinyl.

The CD and vinyl both suffer from an engineer who thought the top end frequencies should be shoved at us with great force.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2010, 02:21:24 AM »

Much of the reason why TLOS sounds horrible on CD is because of the compression used. Put simply, the 'quiet' bits are almost as loud as the 'loud' bits.

Take the CD and the vinyl of the same song and you find greater dynamic range on the vinyl.

The CD and vinyl both suffer from an engineer who thought the top end frequencies should be shoved at us with great force.

Mastering engineer.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2010, 02:28:40 AM »

The above image represents the ripped CD (top) and vinyl recorded using 96KHz sampling at 16 bits from a good quality turntable (ie not a USB thingymagig). The track is Midnight's Another Day.

Note how the two loudest sections on the CD exhibit clipping...the music should soar to a crescendo as Brian sings "All the people, make me feel so alone" and the cymbals come in. The CD just distorts whereas the vinyl still retains a valid waveform....no flat edges whatsoever. Note how the difference between the softest and loudest sections on the CD is LESS than the vinyl.

Note also that I 'normalised' the recorded track from the LP....ie it's been altered so the loudest moments are 0dB the same as the CD. So its not simply that I set the recording levels low or any trickery.

This second image represents Going Home....again ripped CD on the top with the LP below. The CD is practically brickwalled, no dynamic range at all. On the rocking section the edges are almost flat, up against the 0dB limit allowing no change in intensity and crucially allowing the moving parts in your ear no rest - THAT is why so much modern music actually hurts to listen to. That is why many people find the CD of TLOS painful....plane to see in blue and white.

Now look at the vinyl. Same song, but clearly a totally different mastering process. Again normalised to 0dB so the loudest part is just as 'loud' or intense as with the CD. But there's so much more going on, no brickwalling, a far greater difference between the rocking section and "at 25 I turned out the light".

The vinyl is going to be more pleasant to listen to, and its going to stirr more emotions because the music (to some extent) swoops and soars. It has quiet parts and loud parts, it expands and contracts. Its not like recording using an old cassette deck with the auto levels switched on (shudder).

Hopefully this reminder clears up a few questions about TLOS on CD and vinyl. And to be honest even the vinyl is not great.

SMiLE is another matter entirely. It is a beautiful recording.

absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2010, 02:31:14 AM »

Mastering engineer.

Absolutely right.
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2010, 12:43:44 PM »

SMiLE is another matter entirely. It is a beautiful recording.

How does the CD and vinyl compare here?

Also any chance you could indulge me with a little parental mocking in order to demonstrate to me how one or two ripped vinyl TLOS tracks may sound compared to CD?

I have no vinyl facilities unfortunately.

Cheers

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2010, 01:07:17 PM »

How does the CD and vinyl compare here?

Night and day.  I think the BWPS cd sounds much better than TLOS, but the vinyl is just incredible.  It's that good.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx