gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 11:19:44 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Discuss, praise, ridicule, and/or mock American Idol performances here.  (Read 26672 times)
Joel5001
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 23, 2006, 11:40:55 AM »

You know you watched it.

Nobody has blown me away so far.  That Pickler girl certainly didn't live up to the hype, but it's still early.

The little kid who looks like he's 12 was actually better than I thought he'd be.

Ace didn't annoy me as much as I thought he would.

"First of all, let's get one thing straight: Crack is cheap. I make too much money to ever smoke crack." - Whitney Houston
Lester Zombie
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2006, 11:59:54 AM »

Actually, Joel, I have puposely avoided that show from the beginning. Of course bits of it pop up here and there so that I can't be totally unaware of it, but what I know of it is all second hand. As far as I can tell it's nothing but a glorified karaoke contest. I stay away from those too. That's all I know about American Idol and more than I ever wanted to know.
Joel5001
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2006, 12:05:49 PM »

Actually, Joel, I have puposely avoided that show from the beginning. Of course bits of it pop up here and there so that I can't be totally unaware of it, but what I know of it is all second hand. As far as I can tell it's nothing but a glorified karaoke contest. I stay away from those too. That's all I know about American Idol and more than I ever wanted to know.

Of course its a glorified karaoke contest.  That's why its fun to watch.  I don't expect great art from it; just good entertainment.

"First of all, let's get one thing straight: Crack is cheap. I make too much money to ever smoke crack." - Whitney Houston
Lester Zombie
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2006, 12:11:52 PM »

I guess it's a matter of personal taste. I don't find that sort of thing entertaining. Of course my taste is a bit off. I don't care for the American male trilogy of Guns, Cars, and Sports. They don't do squat for me.

Back on topic: if I want to hear lame musical performances, I can just grab a guitar and do my own.
I'm not saying people shouldn't watch what they like, I just don't like it myself.
Joel5001
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2006, 12:22:42 PM »

I'm with you on the guns and cars, but I will watch a football or baseball game if a team I care about is playing.  I always thought the trilogy was beer, cars, and sports, and preferably all at the same time.  Perhaps thats just in NASCAR states.  Grin

mark goddard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2006, 02:05:05 PM »

Paris is my fave ....she did a great version of  "Midnight train to georgia"......that kid who sang copacabana was hysterical !!!!.really over the top....and when Randy was critiquing him, he answered like he had no clue or he was purposely being cheesey. he answered ..yes thats what Barry does....Barry has the #1 album ???Weird .....
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2006, 02:24:19 PM »

I'll ramble some off the top of my head.  BTW, just for the record, I'm easily amused and find something of value in about any musical performance.... as long as it's real and not manufactured emotion.  More on that in a minute, lol.

I love the Pickler girl.  Part of that is I live in Charlotte, she lives in Albermarle 20 miles away.  Smiley  EVEN BEFORE I knew that, though, I appreciated her honesty.  I don't think she's the greatest singer there by a long shot, but I think she is a sincere person and I wouldn't mind seeing sincere people do good in whatever they attempt.

The little kid who sang the Brian McKnight song, I like him for the same reasons although he's not my favorite and I don't expect him to be around for long.  I figured he'd be pretty bad based on what they showed from Hollywood, but he did a decent job with it.

I think the guy Ace will probably go pretty far.  He has a good voice and knows how to work the women.  Randy made an interesting comment... a lot of guys work the women on the show, but usually they're just faking it... this guy actually knows that every woman in america wants him, so even him preening for the camera is pretty sincere, lol... because it's the truth.  When someone like say, Constantine did it, half of the women loved it, but half were like 'oh god what a loser'.  Not with Ace. 

Of course it's hard not to love the blues guy, I believe his name is Travis.  I would like to see him win.  I don't think he will, though, but maybe he'll make it to the final 2.

Paris is great.  I didn't care for the Midnight Train to Georgia she did.... I love that song but didn't think her version was anything special.  Her two performances before that, though, I loved and I think she'll do great.  She may win because she has just a lot of polished talent.

While she has polished talent, Elliott has raw talent.  That's the guy who's pretty ugly and looks like he might have just got out of prison for grand larceny or something.  My brother was talking crap about him, but I could tell from the Hollywood week that the guy was good.  After last night and that Stevie Wonder song, I think he's really, really good.  Some people just have it, and he just has it.  Very good voice.

The Rocker guy (don't know his name) will probably do very well in this contest but I don't think he's really that great, to be honest. 

Bucky was cool, another NC guy who sang Simple Man and did it justice pretty much.

Those were the standouts for me, there's one more girl who was the last girl on the first night who's very good, but I don't know her name.

I'm picking, right now, either Paris, Kellie Pickler, or Travis to win.  I'll even go out on a long shot and guess that Kellie will actually win the entire competition. 

I didn't see the first season, but in the second season, I picked from about 10 shows out that Ruben would win, then I picked in the third season from about 10 shows out that Fantasia would win, and last season, I picked from the 12th show out that Carrie would win. 

I vote twice for whoever my favorite is.  Since the girls and guys are seperate right now, I called tuesday and voted for Kellie, twice... the line was busy, but I called back about 11 p.m. and got through twice to vote for her.  Wednesday, I called to vote twice for Travis.  I called several times, the line was busy, and I even called at 12:30... the lines were still open, and still busy.  I never did get through, but He must be getting one hell of alot of votes. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2006, 02:25:46 PM »

I'm with you on the guns and cars, but I will watch a football or baseball game if a team I care about is playing.  I always thought the trilogy was beer, cars, and sports, and preferably all at the same time.  Perhaps thats just in NASCAR states.  Grin

Dude, where's the women?  The American Trilogy is Women, Beer, Cars, Sports, Guns... and you pick your favorite two besides women.  For me, it's Women, then the two wildcards of Cars and Guns. 
RobtheNobleSurfer
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2006, 02:27:46 PM »

I guess it's a matter of personal taste. I don't find that sort of thing entertaining. Of course my taste is a bit off. I don't care for the American male trilogy of Guns, Cars, and Sports. They don't do squat for me.

Back on topic: if I want to hear lame musical performances, I can just grab a guitar and do my own.
I'm not saying people shouldn't watch what they like, I just don't like it myself.

Count me in as another non-fan of AI. I watched the finals of one of the seasons, though and I came to the conclusion that no one in my record collection except for maybe Paul McCartney would have stood a chance on that show.  That realization just depressd the hell out of me.
Joel5001
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2006, 03:14:37 PM »

Dude, where's the women?  The American Trilogy is Women, Beer, Cars, Sports, Guns... and you pick your favorite two besides women.  For me, it's Women, then the two wildcards of Cars and Guns. 

Man, the women are a given. 

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2006, 07:32:33 PM »

Women aren't an interest.. they're a need.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
JScott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2006, 08:02:50 PM »

Ok, in this order: Music, Women, and WEED!   Grin

Until they start doing an American Idol with people singing their own damn ORIGINAL songs, I ain't interested.

That show and everything it represents is the very antithesis of rock 'n' roll.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 08:05:09 PM by JScott » Logged

“Hey, I don’t know the answer to life. I just know that when enough voices combine with the right melody, you’ve got the sound of heaven.”
Third Coast
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2006, 08:52:27 PM »

Ok, in this order: Music, Women, and WEED!   Grin

Until they start doing an American Idol with people singing their own damn ORIGINAL songs, I ain't interested.

That show and everything it represents is the very antithesis of rock 'n' roll.

It's amazing that the show is so popular, at least to me. That one and "Skating with Celebrities" or whatever it's called.  They're like something from the '50s, which is not a put-down.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2006, 10:19:32 PM »

I'll get all philosophical for you.  I think that in today's ergh, 'culture' or whatever, a lot of entertainment on televison is violent or offensive or not totally fit for a large majority of the population, and that was o.k. for a while... but I think there's a serious 'family values' revolution on the cusp here and shows like American Idol are tame enough that adults like watching it with their kids, and feeling good about letting their kids watch something the kids see as 'cool', but at the same time the parents see as harmless.  Nearly every family I know watches it and shows like 'dancing with the stars' every week now.  "Extreme Home Makeover" is another example.  They're on the verge of something huge, imo.  Everything's cyclical, society today isn't finally getting liberated after thousands of years... it's been liberated in the past, got more conservative, got more liberal, etc. back and forth since the beginning of time.  Just my opinion.
NC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2006, 05:50:25 AM »

I really liked Travis' version of "Levon" - he is awesome. The "Copacabana" guy was awful, and so was the kid that did "Crazy Little Thing Called Love". He was extremely awkward. I can't begin to make a guess as to who will win - but honestly, I don't think Kellie has got the voice of Carrie. And I was not really a Carrie fan.

scooter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2006, 07:45:55 AM »

just as the Real World deliberately puts people together who are destined to clash, AI deliberately includes people who can't carry a tune in a pick up truck; Should NOT have gotten started on this Topic, tryin to keep my blood pressure down.

I know a lot and I know there's a lot I don't know
Old Rake
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2006, 08:04:00 AM »

Ron: I'm totally not a big, y'know, "family values" guy or anything, but I totally agree with you. What's great about American Idol is that its family entertainment in a very real way -- you can watch the show with your kids of all ages, they get into it, its fun, people sing, there's nothing at all violent or sexual or whatever, its just harmless fun.

That said: there isn't a living soul this year that I care about.

What's BAD about the show: the payoff. I got really into Bo Bice last year -- I think, still, that he has a REMARKABLE singing voice. But the album he put out? SUCKED SO BAD. There's no payoff unless your last name is "Clarkson!"
mark goddard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2006, 08:31:48 AM »

I still say that Paris girl has the goods...maybe not as a pop star...But her audition was the best i have heard ever on American Idol !
NC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2006, 09:58:08 AM »

I honestly don't know why there's all the hatin' going on. Idol puts the spotlight on some good music and songwriters. They've featured Bacharach, Sedaka, the Bee Gees, and didn't they also do a BB medley last year? It keeps some of those classic songs alive. Also keeps a certain style of entertainment alive. The fact that they sing cover songs is not important to me. Just because it's not some grungy guy with a guitar, incoherently mumbling an "original" song, does not mean it isn't worthy.

Old Rake
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2006, 10:22:46 AM »

Exactly. It's fun! People sing! How bad can that be?

If everybody has such a problem with the Karaoke-ish nature of the thing, then my theory is YOU SHOULD GO TO KARAOKE MORE OFTEN. I go every week.
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2006, 10:34:10 AM »

I can attest to the family value.  My daughter now watches a performance and says, "Yes or No?"  And if she likes a song she dances her ballet to it.  Totally safe (as long as we can distract her from some of the awful commercials that run nowadays, and by awful I mean violent and bloody ads for TV shows that run later than 9).
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2006, 10:36:02 AM »

and bloody ads for TV shows that run later than 9).

I hate the news too.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Joel5001
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2006, 10:46:30 AM »

and bloody ads for TV shows that run later than 9).

I hate the news too.

:D :D

So I thought that the voters pretty much got it right last night, with the exception of the guy who sang "Come to My Window."  I thought he had some potential.  I also would have liked to see Brenna go.  She just gets on my nerves.  I don't think her "attitude" is the slightest bit interesting, or entertaining.

NC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2006, 10:59:53 AM »

I thought that guy was decent too, but he didn't show a lot of stage presence. I thought the guy that sang Queen should have gone. The girls were just so much more forgettable to me, except for a couple of them. Stevie deserved to go, and probably Brenna too.

mark goddard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2006, 11:16:36 AM »

that Lisa girl can also sing and she should advance far.....i like the guy with the salt and pepper hair...he will go far too.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx