gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:03:42 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Name One Song You'd Wish The BBs Should Have Covered  (Read 93325 times)
hideyotsuburaya
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #400 on: November 23, 2016, 12:54:59 PM »

AFAIC Brian for his next rnr album can go back to MY LITTLE RED BOOK.  I believe it still suits him quite fine

somebody else just mentioned (GIRL) YOU'RE BLOWING MY MIND and that sure's a fine choice IMO for him
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #401 on: November 23, 2016, 04:39:35 PM »

Okay, I just read nearly the entire thread, great ideas! Of the songs already mentioned, I'd like to hear the BBs record Blue Moon and The Lion Sleeps Tonight circa 1964, Nowhere Man and She's Leaving Home during the Pet Sounds sessions, Hot Burrito #2 during the Wild Honey sessions (Carl lead), Teach Your Children and Only Love Can Break Your Heart during the Sunflower sessions, McCartney's Ram recorded in its entirety shortly after its release, and We Are The Champions recorded during Adult/Child (that's a wild idea!). The impossibility of a few of these suggestions shouldn't bother anyone, right? I'm not suggesting that history be changed, I just want to hear certain songs as performed by certain eras of the BBs.

Some of my personal choices would be...
-'64 BBs recording a few Roy Orbison songs with Brian singing lead. There are so many options, so take your pick.
-Be My Baby recorded during the Smile sessions! (this must have been suggested elsewhere on the board Huh I can't be this brilliant)
-Nilsson's Turn On Your Radio recorded during the Friends sessions with a lead by Brian (I can SO hear Brian singing this).
-Again, I've got to mention Teach Your Children during the Sunflower sessions. Just think of the album cover...
-Hot Burrito #1 during CATP sessions (again, Carl lead)
- A slowed down Help! with a Dennis lead during the CAPT/Holland era. Kind of a companion piece with Carry Me Home.
-'74-75 BBs recording Nilsson's You're Breakin' My Heart with a Dennis lead.
-I also think Dennis could have done some of Neil Young's 70s work justice. I can imagine a POB produced See The Sky About To Rain or a '77-78 tour featuring some Tonight's The Night material. 

Every wave is new until it breaks.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #402 on: November 23, 2016, 08:06:32 PM »

Of the songs already mentioned, I'd like to hear the BBs record [...] The Lion Sleeps Tonight circa 1964
There is funny misconception in the local music database sites that says it's the BBs song.

Some of my personal choices would be...
-'64 BBs recording a few Roy Orbison songs with Brian singing lead. There are so many options, so take your pick.
"Lana".

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #403 on: November 24, 2016, 04:42:26 PM »

Just My Imagination
SinisterSmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #404 on: November 24, 2016, 06:51:22 PM »

Brian has mentioned being a fan of Billy Idol, he should do Eyes Without A Face.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #405 on: November 25, 2016, 09:05:52 AM »

I'm surprised that with all the covers Mike and Bruce have done live in the past 17 years, that they've never considering "The Rain, The Park, and other things" considering John Cowsill is ya know...right there. It would seamlessly fit in with the rest of the set, and would be a lot cooler than say "California Dreamin"...
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #406 on: November 27, 2016, 09:49:24 AM »

Lazy Lizzie. Seriously. Al on the first verse, Mike on the first bridge, whole group on the chorus with Carl, Al, Brian doing the high "saw you walking alone" parts; Dennis on second verse, Carl on the second bridge, whole group on the second chorus, bringing in Mike doing "Lazy Lizzie" bass lines.

Produced properly, it's the missing hit on LOVE YOU. Whew! I know you all think I'm crazy, but that 70s funky sound was the best. Crazy for Lizzie!! Remember--"it's so hard to walk home...when you're walkin' alone!"
 Cool Guy
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #407 on: December 03, 2016, 01:29:49 AM »

Petula Clark's 'Downtown'.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #408 on: December 03, 2016, 01:41:06 AM »

I'm surprised that with all the covers Mike and Bruce have done live in the past 17 years, that they've never considering "The Rain, The Park, and other things" considering John Cowsill is ya know...right there. It would seamlessly fit in with the rest of the set, and would be a lot cooler than say "California Dreamin"...

+1

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
Kid Presentable
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #409 on: December 03, 2016, 03:22:03 AM »

Lazy Lizzie. Seriously. Al on the first verse, Mike on the first bridge, whole group on the chorus with Carl, Al, Brian doing the high "saw you walking alone" parts; Dennis on second verse, Carl on the second bridge, whole group on the second chorus, bringing in Mike doing "Lazy Lizzie" bass lines.

Produced properly, it's the missing hit on LOVE YOU. Whew! I know you all think I'm crazy, but that 70s funky sound was the best. Crazy for Lizzie!! Remember--"it's so hard to walk home...when you're walkin' alone!"
 Cool Guy

Do you not know what "cover" means?
Kid Presentable
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #410 on: December 03, 2016, 03:23:05 AM »

Brian has mentioned being a fan of Billy Idol, he should do Eyes Without A Face.

I actually think Dancing With Myself is a picture perfect BI song for him to rearrange.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #411 on: December 03, 2016, 05:18:56 AM »

Petula Clark's 'Downtown'.

Good call, sir. It's a strong song anyway but it could have been awesome in Brian's hands...

Great to see you around. And great to see your topic still going strong six years down the line. :=) 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #412 on: December 03, 2016, 04:30:19 PM »

The Four Freshmen's "Angel Eyes". It doesn't help that the group sounds eerily similar to the BB's on that one!

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #413 on: December 04, 2016, 09:32:26 PM »

Dragging the Line.....the Tommy James hit.   I can just hear ML on the bass vocal and the harmony kick in "I Feel Fine" etc.  Carl on lead vocal.     Think about it !
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #414 on: December 07, 2016, 03:16:07 PM »

Cool Guy

Of course I do, KP. That's why the shaggy smokin' man is at the bottom of the post, to let A-R types know that it's not a serious answer. I guess we need a more, er, "explicit" tongue-in-cheek emoticon...
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #415 on: December 07, 2016, 03:18:23 PM »

Nah, Don Malcolm is the man! Wink

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #416 on: December 07, 2016, 03:37:04 PM »

If I Fell- The Beatles

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Kid Presentable
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #417 on: December 07, 2016, 11:54:08 PM »

Cool Guy

Of course I do, KP. That's why the shaggy smokin' man is at the bottom of the post, to let A-R types know that it's not a serious answer. I guess we need a more, er, "explicit" tongue-in-cheek emoticon...

Okay.  I wasn't sure, guess I don't understand emoji-casm!
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #418 on: December 07, 2016, 11:58:54 PM »

hungry heart   Afro

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
Manfred
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #419 on: December 08, 2016, 12:13:11 AM »

Hungry heart ?  Well, they did it, itīs called "Getcha back".
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #420 on: December 08, 2016, 12:40:38 AM »

LOL good one Manfred!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #421 on: December 08, 2016, 01:12:06 AM »

Hungry heart ?  Well, they did it, itīs called "Getcha back".

Doesn't count. Wink

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
KDS
« Reply #422 on: December 08, 2016, 05:32:12 AM »

You Took the Words Right Out of My Mouth (Hot Summer Night) by Meatloaf
hongkongcrowe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #423 on: December 12, 2016, 04:24:14 AM »

Draggin the Line by Tommy James is a great tune - that would be tough for the Beach Boys to do that tune justice without making it too saccharine.  I always thought it would be a good tune for REM to cover.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #424 on: December 16, 2016, 03:08:42 AM »

"Surfer Joe" - Carl & David guitar jam
Chris Montez "The More I See You" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rZoHQdsntQ  - Brian

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx