gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:37:01 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 19 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Name One Song You'd Wish The BBs Should Have Covered  (Read 93328 times)
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: September 05, 2010, 10:51:53 PM »

Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 10:53:14 PM by Jay » Logged

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
summerinparadise.flac
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: September 05, 2010, 10:55:52 PM »

How about this for a Beach Boy'd Ramones song: Bonzo Goes to Bitburg.
It has that big wall of sound already...I can imagine it with a sort of Just Once in My Life type production.
Mike doing the verses, Carl doubling him on the pre-chorus, those big back ups on the chorus. Instead of a guitar solo have a big mess of strings with a glockenspiel playing that melody over top.
Of course, this would never happen with the groups relationship with Reagan. But if Johnny Ramone (way, WAY more right wing than the Boys) could do it why couldn't Mike?

"I'll haunt you like a ghost"
-Brian Wilson, the Ruby song from Party.

Please support the Beach Boys without being a rude dude or grumpy gus.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #152 on: September 05, 2010, 10:56:40 PM »

Hmmm...I don't  exactly remember changing it, but... ^_^

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 06, 2010, 12:25:49 AM »

"What a Fool Believes" Doobie Brothers
"High Coin" VDP

Top choices. WAFB is a superb piece of pop composition. Custom Machine, in the post just above yours, mentioned 'Do I Love You' by the Ronettes. Also very, very good.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 06, 2010, 12:50:05 AM »

Everytime I hear Peter Cetra's "Glory of Love" I imagine Carl could have had a very decent crack at that.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 06, 2010, 03:21:32 PM »

Brian Douglas Wilson has absolutely no excuse for not covering "Shortenin' Bread Rock" by Etta James. Get on that, B, and give it to me Love You style!
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: September 08, 2010, 10:09:06 AM »

Can I add Ricky Nelson's ''Garden Party"? Yes I can. With Carl on lead.

That "Rick" Nelson!! Enough of this "Ricky" crap.  police police police

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: September 08, 2010, 11:47:55 AM »

Everytime I hear Peter Cetra's "Glory of Love" I imagine Carl could have had a very decent crack at that.
Nice call. Our music teacher when I was 15 had us sang it as a duet between the boys and girls.

I also got to think of Dobie Gray's "Drift Away", another song that Carl could do justice. And I'd have the Boys sing "Give me the Beach Boys and free my soul" instead of "beat boys". Yes I would.  police

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: September 08, 2010, 12:03:55 PM »

I the first time I heard that song was on my car radio (little single speaker in the dash), and I swore he sang Beach Boys too.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: September 08, 2010, 12:49:22 PM »

I always thought he was referencing our favourite group. Doesn't matter WHAT he's singing I love that song. Plus the guys are no stranger to singing about themselves!

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Paulos
« Reply #160 on: September 08, 2010, 02:35:00 PM »

I would have liked to hear the boys cover Peggy Sue, but circa 1963 so we would never had to suffer the MIU version which in my opinion is one of the Boys worst covers, (just behind Remember Walkin' In The Sand) it just lumbers along with no enthusiasm or care and has me diving for the original.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 09, 2010, 07:10:20 AM »

The 15 Big Ones-MIU version does have a great refrain, though. But yes, overall, it could have been better.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Menace Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: September 09, 2010, 08:04:33 PM »

All the talk in another thread about Rag Mama Rag got me thinking about The Band.

I think The Beach Boys could have done a killer rendition of "In A Station" (Wild Honey/Friends era).

"Jeff, you care." --BW
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 09, 2010, 10:48:42 PM »

I would have liked to hear the boys cover Peggy Sue, but circa 1963 so we would never had to suffer the MIU version which in my opinion is one of the Boys worst covers, (just behind Remember Walkin' In The Sand) it just lumbers along with no enthusiasm or care and has me diving for the original.

In before freakout over you saying you didn't care for the MIU version and wishing they'd done it sooner.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
XY
« Reply #164 on: September 10, 2010, 12:08:16 AM »

"Let's Go To San Francisco" by The Flowerpot Men.
Sounds like a Beach Boys song, something that Brian could've written after a successful SMiLE completion.
kwan_dk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #165 on: September 10, 2010, 12:33:55 AM »

"Let's Go To San Francisco" by The Flowerpot Men.
Sounds like a Beach Boys song, something that Brian could've written after a successful SMiLE completion.

The song is pretty good but I doubt the theme would fit with a group as quintessentially L.A as the Beach Boys. "Hey everyone. Let's ditch this dump and head north!"  Cheesy

If anything, the Flowerpot Men track 'Am I Losing You' would be a much better fit in my opinion. It's a great song that wouldn't have been out of place on Pet Sounds. I think the boys could have handled it really well. Here's a sound sample of the original demo.

http://www.amazon.com/Am-I-Losing-You/dp/B002RBVTTG

The finished version is of course more polished and has backing harmonies...

Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: September 10, 2010, 06:28:52 AM »

Interstellar Overdrive by Pink Floyd (surf version)

Who Needs the Peace Corps? by The Mothers of Invention

Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen

and a Rob Zombie song...LOL

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: September 10, 2010, 11:19:56 AM »

Tracy Hide.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToJe8z4odxI

Turns out that Tracy Hyde was a cute actress in a film from 1971 called Melody, with whom Darian Sahanaja fell in love as a kid. The Bee Gees wrote some songs for the movie, amongst which is Melody Fair, which DS clearly used as a stepping off point for the lovely Tracy Hide.

Fact!

Religion is a privilege, not a right.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: September 11, 2010, 12:38:09 AM »

Tracy Hide.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToJe8z4odxI

Turns out that Tracy Hyde was a cute actress in a film from 1971 called Melody, with whom Darian Sahanaja fell in love as a kid. The Bee Gees wrote some songs for the movie, amongst which is Melody Fair, which DS clearly used as a stepping off point for the lovely Tracy Hide.

Fact!

Lovely post. Reminds me of myself seeing a CD by a new band in the racks, some 15 years ago (I think). The band named itself ZuZu's Petals. I found that extremely touching... and my friends avoided me for days, because they had little use for a film nutter who rambled on about a black-and-white movie that was more than 50 years old, and its relative merits in the Capra canon.

jimmyboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: September 12, 2010, 07:25:23 PM »

How about "Walk Away Renee" or The Band's "Whispering Pines"...
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: September 13, 2010, 12:29:54 AM »

How about "Walk Away Renee" or The Band's "Whispering Pines"...

Bingo! BTW, I find Oh Lord very, very close to Whispering Pines. Try it for yourself.

jimmyboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: September 13, 2010, 05:48:49 PM »

Thanks Mr Don...where do I find it? Cheesy
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: September 15, 2010, 12:37:24 AM »

Thanks Mr Don...where do I find it? Cheesy

Check your PM, son.

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: September 15, 2010, 07:27:50 AM »

I'd like to hear a Smiley-like cover of Harry Nilsson's 1941

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: September 15, 2010, 11:36:09 AM »

All the talk in another thread about Rag Mama Rag got me thinking about The Band.

I think The Beach Boys could have done a killer rendition of "In A Station" (Wild Honey/Friends era).

This has to be the best cover suggestion I've ever heard! That song handled by Brian c. Time To Get Alone would be pure pop perfection. Just imagining what Brian would've done with the the "Can't we have something to feel" bit makes my head spin!

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 19 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx