gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 11:13:10 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 19 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Name One Song You'd Wish The BBs Should Have Covered  (Read 93401 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 16, 2010, 05:42:41 PM »

I would have liked to hear the BBs cover some Randy Newman, and I'm sort of surprised Brian didn't try at any point as I think he's quite the fan (or was, anyway). Admittedly, I don't think they quite have what it takes to pull off the more sarcastic stuff, but I think they could do a good job with something lovely (and, of course, desperate) like "I'll Be Home" or "Living Without You". They could possibly swing something like "Marie" or "Have You Seen My Baby?" too... Hell, throw in "Lonely At The Top" for some irony!
Yes. You only have to listen to some of Harry Nilsson's interpretations on the brilliant Nilsson Sings Newman to get some ideas of how layered harmonies and on-key vocals fit in Newman's songs.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 16, 2010, 06:15:50 PM »

I had a list of Beatles songs I wanted them to cover, mostly dealing with their best harmonies:

-This Boy
-Yes it Is
-Nowhere Man
-She's Leaving Home
-Penny Lane
-Two of Us (Brian and Mike)
-Because
-I'll Follow the Sun

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 16, 2010, 06:37:32 PM »

I had a list of Beatles songs I wanted them to cover, mostly dealing with their best harmonies:

-This Boy
-Yes it Is
-Nowhere Man
-She's Leaving Home
-Penny Lane
-Because
-I'll Follow the Sun

Perfect list. I'd also add 'You Won't See Me' and 'Here There And Everywhere'

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 16, 2010, 07:22:53 PM »

I would have liked to hear the BBs cover some Randy Newman, and I'm sort of surprised Brian didn't try at any point as I think he's quite the fan (or was, anyway). Admittedly, I don't think they quite have what it takes to pull off the more sarcastic stuff, but I think they could do a good job with something lovely (and, of course, desperate) like "I'll Be Home" or "Living Without You". They could possibly swing something like "Marie" or "Have You Seen My Baby?" too... Hell, throw in "Lonely At The Top" for some irony!
Yes. You only have to listen to some of Harry Nilsson's interpretations on the brilliant Nilsson Sings Newman to get some ideas of how layered harmonies and on-key vocals fit in Newman's songs.

That's precisely who I was thinking of -- and I think the BBs would've done a better job, personally -- they would've put some soul into that, I think, Nilsson seemingly cautiously avoids for whatever reason.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 16, 2010, 07:40:19 PM »

This isn't really the Beach Boys exactly, but I wish Dennis Wilson would have recorded a version of "Young And Beautiful" by Elvis. I can clearly hear a circa 1978 Dennis singing "So fill these lonely arms of mine, and kiss me tenderly". I think that even in his rough voice, Dennis would have done a great job.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 16, 2010, 08:07:17 PM »

-This Boy
-Yes it Is
-Nowhere Man
-She's Leaving Home
-Penny Lane
-Because
-I'll Follow the Sun

that's right, I knew I was forgetting one (HTAE)

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Beckgtr09
Smiley Smile Associate

I've been in this town so long......

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 16, 2010, 08:07:39 PM »

What about ROCK AND ROLL HEAVEN by the Righteous Brothers ? I remember reading years ago The Beach Boys were supposed to work as guest vocalists on THE WALL. I think another song I think would of been great for them would of been CELEBRATE ME HOME by Kenny Loggins. If Carl would of had the lead... wow.

Ted  Smokin

MBE
« Reply #82 on: August 16, 2010, 09:40:34 PM »

Young and Beautiful would have been cool.  I would have loved a Beach Boys gospel LP circa 1968. He Come Down, Meant For You, even the 1976 TV version of That Same Song shows they could have come up with something cool there.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 16, 2010, 10:19:37 PM »

Young and Beautiful would have been cool.  I would have loved a Beach Boys gospel LP circa 1968. He Come Down, Meant For You, even the 1976 TV version of That Same Song shows they could have come up with something cool there.

maybe a little 'rollin' around heaven all day  Wink

~post of the century~
-Mikie

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 16, 2010, 11:53:48 PM »

Really?

Really. Omitting the harmonies and backup vocals in the first verse? This is the frickin' Beach Boys we're talking about, here!

It's not the greatest single song ever recorded, but if you listen to the BBs in the 80s, you take what you can get.

If there's anything I've learned over time, it's to appreciate things for what they are rather than what they're not, but I just can't get behind this version. My original post was simply to lament that a cover in the 60s never happened, not to go out of my way to slam the cover they did in the 80s. There's the "wasted potential" fact, too.

Many folks here have moved away from that knee-jerk "anything that was recorded in the 80s SUX" attitude. Cause other people can't stand that big slammy, thuddy, mono wall-o-sound that we adore. Variety's the spice of, and all that.

I'm not saying anything that was recorded in the 80s sucks, I'm saying the production as featured here is textbook 80s which, to me, is a very, very ugly thing. Just stating my opinion, there's no need to come after me with the tired, "That's just your opinion!" stuff.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 16, 2010, 11:55:36 PM »

I know it sounds cheesy, but We Are the Champions by Queen.... Carl sings the verses, then Mike sings the "We are the Champions my friend..."' while Brian sings, "and we'll keep on fighting till the end"...; with full harmonies kicking in on the "We Are the Champions" chorus, and BOOM, we have a classic BB cover...throw in an a cappella section a la Brian and it gets even better...besides, the BB's are the Champions as far as I'm concerned....   Cool
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 17, 2010, 12:01:28 AM »

"How does it approach embarrassing? You throw statements like this out here and don't say why you think so."

What is aggressive about my original statement, above? I asked a question and stated a fact. I go into so many topics and some people just throw their opinion out there without ever stating why they feel that way. Seriously, is that too much to ask?  I was always taught that if you state an opinion, be prepared to back it up.
@runnersdialzero

Because this is a discussion board. I don't think it is an embarrassing song, you did, and I wanted to understand why you feel the way you do about it. Is that wrong? Is there a reason for you to cop an attitude, because I wanted your full opinion? If I take the time to read your posts, at least support your claim(s).

That's fine, I just asked that because this isn't the first time you've accused me of saying things and not backing them up. If I felt the need to expand upon them, I would. I'm prepared to back things up, but usually when I post, I don't bother with things that don't need to be said or are already obvious.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 17, 2010, 07:10:51 AM »

Thank you for the reply. You know, especially on this board, that there will be members that don't agree with even one opinion stated. For me, I always loved that song; the original, and the Beach Boys version. Most casual fans of the Boys' (most of the people that I know) like it. Amazingly, when I ask people if they know any newer Beach Boys songs, the three that get mentioned the most are: Kokomo, California Dreamin' and Good Timin'. Anyway, "Embarrassing" kind of threw me for a loop when you wrote it in your post.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 17, 2010, 07:27:30 AM »

-This Boy
-Yes it Is
-Nowhere Man
-She's Leaving Home
-Penny Lane
-Because
-I'll Follow the Sun

that's right, I knew I was forgetting one (HTAE)

Need to add If I fell

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Yorick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 17, 2010, 07:30:33 AM »

Seasons In The Sun
Menace Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 17, 2010, 07:44:18 AM »

I know it sounds cheesy, but We Are the Champions by Queen.... Carl sings the verses, then Mike sings the "We are the Champions my friend..."' while Brian sings, "and we'll keep on fighting till the end"...; with full harmonies kicking in on the "We Are the Champions" chorus, and BOOM, we have a classic BB cover...throw in an a cappella section a la Brian and it gets even better...besides, the BB's are the Champions as far as I'm concerned....   Cool

I like how you assigned the vocal parts!  I can definitely hear Carl singing the first part, and in retrospect the melody of the "and we'll keep on fighting till the end" section really does seem sorta Brian-ish!  Goes without saying that if somebody was gonna sing the words "we are the champions" it'd be Mike....  Razz

"Jeff, you care." --BW
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 17, 2010, 08:50:58 AM »

Seasons In The Sun

They actually did do this one if the story (and recording) are to be believed...
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 17, 2010, 09:04:37 AM »

Yes indeed, they did record it with a Carl Wilson lead vocal.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 17, 2010, 09:18:38 AM »

Yes indeed, they did record it with a Carl Wilson lead vocal.

Why didn't they release it (or, work on it more and then release it)? I assume, as this was in the late '60s if I recall correctly, that they wanted to be seen not as the kind of band who sings such obviously sentimental songs, and Jacks' version of the song certainly didn't help... Of course, maybe I'm completely wrong!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 17, 2010, 09:48:44 AM »

I'm sure others here know the story behind why it was never finished, nor released, but as to the differences between the two versions; not all that much. Being a Beach Boys fan, I do prefer Carl's lead vocal over Terry Jacks.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 17, 2010, 09:52:15 AM »

Hey California Dreamin' may not be the greatest cover of all time but is it as bad as this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vxwu9eHoLY 

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 17, 2010, 10:04:56 AM »

The vocals are pretty good, especially Bruce's, but the arrangement is terrible. Hey, how about that sax solo? In the 70's even! ;-) B.J. Thomas' version stayed truer to the original arrangement than this one. His version did change the lyrics to take away the car race premise to the song.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 17, 2010, 10:16:03 AM »

Hey I just found something even worse....  Shocked

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi_W4fnGqJM

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 17, 2010, 10:24:12 AM »

I'm speechless. I didn't even get half way through it. No wonder Brian said what he said about Mike & Bruce. That's almost a disgrace to arrange such a beautiful song that way.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 17, 2010, 10:37:19 AM »

I'm speechless. I didn't even get half way through it. No wonder Brian said what he said about Mike & Bruce. That's almost a disgrace to arrange such a beautiful song that way.

Indeed. It seems that nobody covers a Beach Boy tune as bad as a Beach Boy.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 19 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx