gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:52:46 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 19 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Name One Song You'd Wish The BBs Should Have Covered  (Read 93345 times)
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 13, 2010, 12:30:56 AM »

'Girl, You'll Be A Woman Soon'

Best thing the Diamond Geezer ever wrote. Spanish-style verse, and full melodic release in the chorus. Carl could've done that verse, in his most soulful style, and the full group kicking in on the chorus.

Heavenly. In fact, in my view of Heaven, St. Peter hands out a real 45 at the Gate to everyone interested.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 12:41:02 AM »

"I'm Into Something Good"

The bonus track on TLOS got me thinking...what if the Beach Boys had covered that on the Love You album?  That would've been cool.

or

"Sailing"

with Carl on lead with some new background harmonies.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 01:18:21 AM »

"Everything That Touches You"

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 03:28:08 AM »

I mentioned this in another post but: This Could Be The Night by The Modern Folk Quartet. For anyone unfamiliar with it, it's basically Phil Spector's attempt to produce a Beach Boys style record and it's fabulous. Whether the boys could've topped the original is questionable as Spector's production is incredibe, but vocally I'd have loved to have heard them give it a try.

Conversely I would give my right arm to hear some of Spector's girl groups singing tracks (or the whole of) Pet Sounds, plus Spector producing it.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 03:56:22 AM »

I mentioned this in another post but: This Could Be The Night by The Modern Folk Quartet. For anyone unfamiliar with it, it's basically Phil Spector's attempt to produce a Beach Boys style record and it's fabulous. Whether the boys could've topped the original is questionable as Spector's production is incredibe, but vocally I'd have loved to have heard them give it a try.

Conversely I would give my right arm to hear some of Spector's girl groups singing tracks (or the whole of) Pet Sounds, plus Spector producing it.

Lovely call. TCBTN was done by Brian Wilson (I have it on '21 Little Ones', or rather, I don't have it on that one that I don't have either); but that is too thin, soundwise. The Boys could have done it in a gorgeous way. However, Spector's steel guitar trickery can't be surpassed, IMHO. BTW, I have a cover of TCBTN on a Spector tribute album, 'Bionic Gold', produced by Jon Tiven, on some super-rare indie label. It's a great, great album, and one Vince Whirlwind, aged 17 then, does TCBTN. I fell in love with it when I was 19 myself, and it never left me since. The rhythm is changed considerably (slowed down), and all kinds of spanish guitar and mandolin sounds adorn this thing of beauty. It realizes the lyrical content of the song in full: the musings of a boy/man who's expecting his first sexual encounter with a girl he's been dating for some time. As far as I know, the LP never reached CD status.

Hmmm... imagine the Ronettes doing 'That's Not Me'.... my current fave is 'When I Saw You' by them. Stunning. Uplifting. The lot.

mtaber
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 04:57:48 AM »

"Saturday Night at the Movies" by the Drifters.

Andrew - the Association song?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2010, 05:03:22 AM »

"Saturday Night at the Movies" by the Drifters.

Andrew - the Association song?

Sure. :-)

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2010, 05:55:45 AM »

Lovely call. TCBTN was done by Brian Wilson (I have it on '21 Little Ones', or rather, I don't have it on that one that I don't have either); but that is too thin, soundwise. The Boys could have done it in a gorgeous way. However, Spector's steel guitar trickery can't be surpassed, IMHO. BTW, I have a cover of TCBTN on a Spector tribute album, 'Bionic Gold', produced by Jon Tiven, on some super-rare indie label. It's a great, great album, and one Vince Whirlwind, aged 17 then, does TCBTN. I fell in love with it when I was 19 myself, and it never left me since. The rhythm is changed considerably (slowed down), and all kinds of spanish guitar and mandolin sounds adorn this thing of beauty. It realizes the lyrical content of the song in full: the musings of a boy/man who's expecting his first sexual encounter with a girl he's been dating for some time. As far as I know, the LP never reached CD status.

Hmmm... imagine the Ronettes doing 'That's Not Me'.... my current fave is 'When I Saw You' by them. Stunning. Uplifting. The lot.

I only heard the BW version recently  and it made me smile. Obviously not a patch on the original but fun to hear.

The indie version you mention sounds very interesting. Will have to seek out this Bionic Gold (sounds like some super strength pot)!

I have overlooked When I saw You - will have to give it a listen. My current fave is Do I Love You. You can't beat the voice of Ronnie Spector or Darlene Love. I recently stumbled on the following clip of Darlene Love performing Christmas on Letterman - unbelievable that she still has that voice. Literally bought a tear to my eye!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQ7iyRJrFg8

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2010, 06:03:53 AM »

Thank you mr Hat sir! -

that Darlene Love thing is so good... and Do I Love You is another gem. In fact, when I got older, I got more of an ear for the more understated material of Spector.

buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2010, 06:31:03 AM »

Thank you mr Hat sir! -

that Darlene Love thing is so good... and Do I Love You is another gem. In fact, when I got older, I got more of an ear for the more understated material of Spector.

btw if you haven't read it I can highly recommend Tearing Down the Wall of Sound by Mick Brown. A fascinating look at Spector's tragic life.

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2010, 06:37:19 AM »

Thank you mr Hat sir! -

btw if you haven't read it I can highly recommend Tearing Down the Wall of Sound by Mick Brown. A fascinating look at Spector's tragic life.

Will investigate!

Smilin Ed H
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2010, 08:33:18 AM »

Wishin' You Were Here with Dennis on lead
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2010, 09:51:08 AM »

Nowhere Man

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2010, 09:56:50 AM »

Laugh all you want but I think an 'in their prime' Beach Boys could have done an amazing cover of "The Lion Sleeps Tonight". Mike would have owned the "owhima, owhima, owhima" part.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Menace Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2010, 09:58:12 AM »

How about Bacharach's "Alfie", sung by Brian in "Still I Dream of It" style.

"Jeff, you care." --BW
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2010, 09:58:38 AM »

I think they could've done a beautiful version of Ian & Sylvia's "Four Strong Winds".

I also have occasionally figured they could do a good job with some of the stuff on The Modern Lovers' sole album: "Someone I Care About" or "Pablo Picasso"!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 10:09:32 AM by O » Logged
willy
Smiley Smile Associate

Hooga hagga hooga!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2010, 10:24:39 AM »

(Wish they'd finished 'Come To The Sunshine'.)

— A BBs version of VDP's 'Clang of The Yankee Reaper' would be a stonker.

— It's A Beautiful Day's 'White Bird'.

— Led Zeppelin's 'Thank You'.

I bumped my head, the sky turned red, the aardvark said "Banana!"
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2010, 01:49:04 PM »

That's one of my all-time favorite songs by anyone. But to be perfectly honest, I can't really see it working as a BB song... Who do you think should take the lead here?

My suggestion: Here, There and Everywhere.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2010, 01:50:16 PM »

Or how about this one: Birds And Bees by Warm Sounds... My second favorite song of all time, right after God Only Knows.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SE2YQMndU6g
willy
Smiley Smile Associate

Hooga hagga hooga!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2010, 02:22:59 PM »

That's one of my all-time favorite songs by anyone. But to be perfectly honest, I can't really see it working as a BB song... Who do you think should take the lead here?

Just a thought... but with 'Love You'-era farting Moogs or 'L.A.' lush strings.. Shocked)

(Each member takes a line like 'Add Some Music' —) The sun never set on the empire
Prince Albert came in a can
If you expire before you retire
And end up an "also-ran"
It's fine time to drink tea from China
Do drop a line
Let me know I am fine

(Band harmonies —) Sun in the moonlight, in the moonlight

(Brian's raw yearning voice  —) Gone, just like I said
The good old days are dead
Better get it through your head
As you harken to
The clang of The Yankee Reaper
(Mike —) It's like I said
As you harken to
The clang of the Yankee Reaper

(Each member takes a line —) Out in the rude wild abandon
The Shah of Iran bought the plan
Seen with the Queen he was all smiles
He just bailed out the British Isles
It's time to drink tea from fine china
Just think of him when your light
Starts to dim

(Band harmonies —) Sun in the moonlight, in the moonlight

(Dennis —) Gone, just like I said
Better get it through your head
As you harken to
The clang of The Yankee Reaper
(Al —) It's like I said
As you harken to
The clang of the Yankee Reaper

(Massed harmonies —) Harken to the clang of the Yankee Reaper
As you harken to clang of the Yankee Reaper...

I bumped my head, the sky turned red, the aardvark said "Banana!"
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2010, 03:07:49 PM »

Buddy Holly's "Words of Love" if done in the mid-60s, a full, lush production. Those gorgeous 2-part harmonies could have been fleshed out in true Wilsonian splendor. Or for you Brits, Canadians, and Aussies, splendour.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2010, 03:46:29 PM »

Any of the Spectorheads here think that the cover of 'Then I Kissed Her' is seriously weak in the production stakes?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Austin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2010, 05:52:53 PM »

Any of the Spectorheads here think that the cover of 'Then I Kissed Her' is seriously weak in the production stakes?

I thought the stereo remix on The Warmth of the Sun helped quite a bit. That said, "Then He Kissed Me" is still more grand to these ears.
Beach Head
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2010, 09:29:55 PM »

I'll name two:

B.J. Thomas' "Rock And Roll Lullaby"

It was rumored for many years that The Beach Boys did the backing vocals, so why not make it a reality?

Elton John's "Take Me Down To The Ocean"

The B-side of "Empty Garden (Hey Hey Johnny)." Could there be more perfect lyrics for The Beach Boys?
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2010, 09:41:11 PM »

Buddy Holly's "Words of Love" if done in the mid-60s, a full, lush production. Those gorgeous 2-part harmonies could have been fleshed out in true Wilsonian splendor. Or for you Brits, Canadians, and Aussies, splendour.

I reckon they would have made a really good job with this one.  What I love about this thread is that with every suggestion I find myself running the existing version through my head and imagine what the BB's would do with it.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 19 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx