gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:12:12 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Name One Song You'd Wish The BBs Should Have Covered  (Read 93321 times)
SBonilla
« Reply #450 on: January 31, 2018, 02:08:36 PM »

ALL STRUNG OUT - a beautiful, Gold Starry ballad, rocking the drug metaphors. Would have been great with leads and parts traded  by Carl, Brian, Mike and Al.

Nino Tempo & April Stevens lip-syncing to their single: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ogtsaXmxK0

AllIWannaDo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #451 on: February 20, 2018, 03:33:10 PM »

South American Getaway - Burt Bacharach
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #452 on: February 21, 2018, 06:15:48 PM »

Saturday Night at the Movies, by The Drifters.
Just My Imagination by TheTemptations
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #453 on: February 21, 2018, 06:34:05 PM »

South American Getaway - Burt Bacharach

Oh man! Yes! One of my all time favorites, ever. The scene when this song plays under the montage in the film actually brings me to tears, it's one of the finest marriages of film and music I've ever seen. And the blooper they left in when Redford blows the scene outside the bank vault and Katherine Ross cracks up...that's a thing of beauty, right there. The art of imperfection.

Anyway...the track is Bacharach at his best. IMO. No lyrics at all, just wordless vocals yet still compelling.

But it would be very, very tough to match the incredible bass sung by Thurl Ravenscroft, the same guy who sang "You're A Mean One Mr Grinch" and was the voice of Tony The Tiger for years.

And the amazing Ron Hicklin Singers, Bacharach had the best on this track.

I'd actually love to hear Brian stack all those vocals himself, just for kicks.

For those who have not heard this 5+ minutes of vocal and arranging perfection, give it a listen here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCRbs_aNa30

Great choice.

Seriously, one of the more challenging small vocal group pieces you'll ever come across. Makes you appreciate just how good The Ron Hicklin Singers were, and they would go into various studios and knock this stuff out on a weekly if not daily basis. I've seen cover after cover and although some are great, none of the groups really get that blend 100% in tune like the original.

Thanks for giving me a smile with that suggestion tonight.  Smiley

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #454 on: March 01, 2018, 06:02:48 PM »

Would be cool if Brian sat by the piano & sang & played "Alfie" as did Bacharach (type "bacharach alfie" in youtube). It'd be much better choice than "Deep Purple".
Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac "Rattlesnake Shake" - Carl
Merigail Moreland "Reputation" - Boys back Marilyn - inclusion to BBs Party
The Neats "Six" - Mike
The Residents "Hello Skinny" - Mike, Boys chant high-pitched "hello darling" in the end
Queen "Back Chat" - Al alternates with Mike

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #455 on: April 20, 2018, 09:13:16 AM »

I was listening to The Searchers a few nights ago and for some reason I couldn't shake the feeling that the early '80s Beach Boys could have performed/recorded a great version of "Someday We're Gonna Love Again". While the group wasn't at their best during this time, an enthusiastic performance goes a long way.

Every wave is new until it breaks.
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #456 on: April 20, 2018, 12:53:17 PM »

I could totally hear that, B.E. Al and Carl doing the lead vocals. Replace one of the lesser tracks on KTSA. Yeah.

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #457 on: April 20, 2018, 01:01:39 PM »

I was thinking Al and Carl on lead vocals as well!

Every wave is new until it breaks.
BBs Footage Saga
Smiley Smile Associate

FOOTAGE!!!

View Profile
« Reply #458 on: April 23, 2018, 12:28:51 PM »

Laugh all you want but I think an 'in their prime' Beach Boys could have done an amazing cover of "The Lion Sleeps Tonight". Mike would have owned the "owhima, owhima, owhima" part.

yeah, i think the same
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #459 on: April 25, 2018, 07:58:33 AM »

Al Jolson "California Here I Come" - BBs singing in unison like in "South Bay Surfer".
Al Bowlly "Guilty" - Brian
The Cowsills "We Can Fly" - Al & Co.
"The Sheik Of Araby" - Carl
Donovan "Skip-A-Long Sam" - Mike

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #460 on: June 13, 2018, 06:40:51 PM »

Frank Sinatra’s “All My Tomorrows”

(Sinatra’s Reprise version)

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Lady Lynda
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #461 on: July 07, 2018, 08:49:32 PM »

65 Love Affair by Paul Davis
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #462 on: September 10, 2018, 08:00:14 AM »

The Rolling Stones "She's Rainbow" - Carl, Brian, Al, Mike, Dennis, Blondie sing lines, everybody in lala's.

mustomax
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #463 on: September 18, 2018, 12:42:45 AM »

"See You In September", a capella, when they were young...
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #464 on: September 28, 2018, 06:49:56 PM »

"Partridge Family" theme. Or "Brady Bunch", ha. Would be fun. 3D

Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #465 on: October 01, 2018, 10:46:32 AM »

Three tracks by the Shangri-Las, two of 'em with lyrics changed around to capture a male POV, could work in a BBs context:

--"He Cried" (originally done as "She Cried" by Jay and the Americans)
--"The Train From Kansas City", lots of opportunities for full group vocals here, a great unknown Jeff Barry-Ellie Greenwich tune, analogous to "The Little Girl I Once Knew"
--"Sweet Sounds of Summer", a strange late track (one of the few sides they made for Mercury in the fall of '66) which is probably the closest thing to a Wild Honey-meets-Smiley Smile fusion with its bouncy harmony switching into a thirty-second freeform freakout that occupies a unique space between the weirdness of the Smiley version of "Wind Chimes" and the Red Krayola. "Cool Cool Water" enters a portion of this territory in its Sunflower incarnation, but without the abruptness.

I think Brian and Al should do "Train From KC" as part of a tribute to the music they loved in the 60s, using lesser-known but worthy tracks rather than re-doing the hits.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #466 on: October 03, 2018, 05:33:58 AM »

Why not keep the lyrics? Let the BBs sing female lyrics. Don't see any crime in it. I admired when Kayla Williams, fellow BBs fan, board poster, musician, singer, sang BBs songs without changing "she" to "he", "her" to "him" etc. Swell sport, she. 3D

Anyhoo:
"Witchi Tai" - Al
"California" by Joni Mitchell - Carl
"Belle", song in musical "Notre Dame De Paris" with 3 different register singers - Mike/ 60s Dennis/ Brian or Carl. English translation.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #467 on: January 26, 2019, 05:10:31 PM »

Instrumental - Funkadelic's "Joyful Process", Sun Ra's "The Sun Song".
"The Year Of The Cat" by Al Stewart - Al.
"Clair" by Gilbert O'Sullivan - Blondie.
"Louise" by Paul Revere & The Raiders - Brian.
"80 Days Around The World", eponymous ("...With Willy Fog") cartoon theme - Mike (Willy's lines), Brian (Rigodon), Marilyn (Romy), everybody in refrain.
California hymn - altogether a cappella or with lush Wrecking Crew backing track.

BBs Footage Saga
Smiley Smile Associate

FOOTAGE!!!

View Profile
« Reply #468 on: January 29, 2019, 03:45:20 AM »

"80 Days Around The World", eponymous ("...With Willy Fog") cartoon theme - Mike (Willy's lines), Brian (Rigodon), Marilyn (Romy), everybody in refrain.
LOL, I saw that when little.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx