gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:48:47 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Daryl Dragon  (Read 15763 times)
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #50 on: August 18, 2010, 10:05:02 AM »

Either it's in print too small to read, but I don't see his name there either.  Now that I've strained my eyes to look at the tiny print on the reproduction of the back of the 15 BO cover, I can see that Daryl is credited on Everyone's in Love etc too and he's also on Susie Cincinnati with Dennis Dragon.

Is he on Good Time from Love You?

He's also credited on KTSA.  Is this for When Girls Get Together or did he contribute something new?  I know some of it was recorded at his Rumbo studios...

Finally, I know Kathy Dragon played flute on Going Public, but was she really on Surfin' Around the World too?

Thanks Jon.  Just saw your reply.  I thought he might have been on some nascent version of one of the songs.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 18, 2010, 10:38:14 AM »

Steady Eddie Carter.

Aka Matt Stone, co-creator of South Park.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Christian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2010, 11:10:07 AM »

Is he on Good Time from Love You?

Probably, as it was recorded at the same session as "Susie Cincinnati".

He's also credited on KTSA.  Is this for When Girls Get Together or did he contribute something new?  I know some of it was recorded at his Rumbo studios...

Daryl played keyboards on "Some Of Your Love".

Finally, I know Kathy Dragon played flute on Going Public, but was she really on Surfin' Around the World too?

No, she´s not on "Surfin´ Round The World".
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #53 on: August 18, 2010, 11:29:38 AM »

Thanks.  That's the internet for you - unreliable one minute; informative the next!
Christian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 18, 2010, 11:59:07 AM »

btw, one early session credit for Daryl was playing bass or keyboard * on Bruce & Terry´s "Four Strong Winds" (June 1965).
(* Larry Knechtel is on keyboards or bass)
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 18, 2010, 01:19:11 PM »

Is that a cover of the Ian Tyson song?
dogear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 18, 2010, 01:25:00 PM »

Yes, it is.

Watson, did you hear this?
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: August 18, 2010, 05:19:55 PM »

Daryl's on "Bluebirds Over The Mountain" (marimba).
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 18, 2010, 05:32:27 PM »

Yes, it is.

Is it... good?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: August 18, 2010, 11:04:22 PM »

Excellent: the Sundazed Best Of Bruce & Terry CD is, IMHO, an essential purchase along with The Rip Chords stuff from the same source.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Curtis Leon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 19, 2010, 03:08:26 AM »

Thanks again, Andrew.  Was this the show where they were joined by Keith Moon (photo in the Tobler book, I think or am I confusing that with something else?)?

Nope, that's the show - Crystal Palace Bowl, London 1972.

I would have loved to see that. One of the greatest drummers in the world, with the world's greatest vocal band. Even if it was, as I have heard, a lousy performance. I do know that Keith loved the Beach Boys...
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #61 on: August 19, 2010, 09:45:00 AM »

The Wild Honey on YouTube sounds pretty good! No Keith on that one, though and the quality's poor but the camera angles suggest it was filmed professionally...
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 19, 2010, 10:56:08 AM »

Yes, it is.

Great Song. Sounds very much like early Byrds.  Yes I know Melcher produced them both!  Roll Eyes

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 20, 2010, 01:51:18 AM »

Hey Smilin' Ed, That is a really great interview, thanks for the link The web site Dragon mentions, where he discusses in detail his collaboration with Dennis, doesn't seem to exist any more. Too bad. Does anyone have that interview?

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
Christian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 20, 2010, 01:59:43 AM »

Here´s the link:

http://www.danaddington.com/denny/dragon.html
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #65 on: August 20, 2010, 02:10:07 AM »

Thanks.  There's a great facebook link too
gsmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 20, 2010, 02:28:23 PM »

Excellent: the Sundazed Best Of Bruce & Terry CD is, IMHO, an essential purchase along with The Rip Chords stuff from the same source.

I've always preferred Bruce's output in his pre-Beach Boys days.  He and Terry Melcher had a great friendship that shone through the music.  I can't help but smile when I listen to stuff like "I Love You Model T", "Don't Go Away", their Spectorized cover of Buddy Holly's "Everyday"...just great stuff.  Too bad Bruce and Terry couldn't mine as exuberant results in the dire 80s and 90s.  You'd never even recognize Kokomo being produced by the same guy who did such a warm, breezy version of "Four String Winds".

Quote from: So cold I go burr
There are people who have taken LSD thousands of times and are as sane as Jeff Foskett. Well, that's a bad example, because Jeff hates Love You and that's INSANE.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 20, 2010, 03:45:48 PM »

What I've never quite figured out was when Brian began to cut back on the epic productions why Bruce didn't just step in as The Beach Boys producer. He certainly had the credentials.

gsmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 20, 2010, 04:28:25 PM »

What I've never quite figured out was when Brian began to cut back on the epic productions why Bruce didn't just step in as The Beach Boys producer. He certainly had the credentials.

I don't think that Bruce has ever considered "The Beach Boys" his main gig.  He contributed to some songwriting and production sporadically from 20/20 through to Surf's Up, but the problem is Bruce never found a good collaborator within the group, unlike the "rough and smooth" combo of Bruce & Terry.  Bruce is also strangely a "Brianista" as them call them.  He's stated that Brian lost his "magic" after "Til I Die".  Bruce's productions often aped Brian's style (Nearest Faraway Place, Oh Darlin') and he even gave Brian a co-credit for a song he basically had nothing to do with (Deirdre).  Away from the Beach Boys, Bruce had much more success producing David Cassidy and having Barry Manilow take "I Write the Songs" to the top of the charts.  When he started a label (Equinox) and released the California Music 45, he even got Brian involved.  "Going Public" didn't exactly set the charts aflame, but I also guess that Bruce only intended it as a small project anyway.  When he was called back to the Beach Boys in 79, it was to do damage control and take the main production reigns away from a mentally incapable and understandably terrified Brian who had been released prematurely from the hospital.  Even then, that was a co-production with James William Guercio.  Even "Keeping the Summer Alive" was a clean-up job when Brian started and couldn't finish the problem.  Ever since then, Bruce has just treated "The Beach Boys" as his day job.  Bruce has always been a better collaborator than "artist".  Bruce can sometimes make a great sounding record, but he doesn't possess the "creative vision" to drive the group into new directions and maintain a level of creative artistry.  Dennis certainly possessed this, but by the time his talent fully blossomed into record production, the group was essentially in shambles and Dennis' solo album was unfairly left to wither on the vine.

Quote from: So cold I go burr
There are people who have taken LSD thousands of times and are as sane as Jeff Foskett. Well, that's a bad example, because Jeff hates Love You and that's INSANE.
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 20, 2010, 11:57:39 PM »

Thanks, Christian. That's a really good interview. It's so sad that Dennis didn't have any confidence in his work, that Dragon and Barbara had to give him lots of praise and support. Also that the other BBs didn't want to have anything to do with him, creatively speaking, didn't feel that his work was commercial. With the exception of Mike (and to a lesser extent Al and Bruce), you would think that the others wouldn't have put so much of an emphasis on that, even though they were struggling mightily to stay relevant and find a new formula, a balance between creativity and commerciality. I'm sure there was a lot of jealousy and competitiveness involved as well. What a shame.

I hope that if there ever is a comprehensive D.W. retrospective/anthology, that it will contain all or most of  the early '70s material for the proposed album collaboration with Dragon that Alan Boyd has said is in the vaults, as well as (of course) WIBNTLA  and the "I've Got A Friend" instrumental track. One can only dream....

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #70 on: August 21, 2010, 02:52:30 AM »

Do we know if he is on the live album?
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: August 21, 2010, 06:23:56 AM »

Do we know if he is on the live album?

Yes, some of it was recorded on the "Winter 1972 Tour" as stated in the liners, which would be November '72.  Both Daryl AND Toni were on that tour, even though they're not credited among the supporting musicians for some reason.
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 21, 2010, 07:07:33 AM »

I think he was offered but declined, wasn't he?  There is a group picture from the Holland era that he's in.

he's on the front picture of the Dutch and German release of the Marcella 45 (behind the wheel)

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #73 on: August 22, 2010, 02:18:39 AM »

Thanks for sharing this and thanks for all the info.

On the subject of Bruce and reasonably relevant to the thread in that the C&T sang this and Daryl must've been around when Bruce recorded it inititally, here's Bruce in Girona earlier this year.  Man can still sing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CYXC2qxGF4
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx