gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680797 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 08:09:47 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Underrated Songs  (Read 3251 times)
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« on: March 23, 2006, 07:27:38 PM »

my list:
-surfer moon
-Today (side 1)
-You're So Good to me
-We'll Run Away
- the whole Friends Album (i feel people dont give brian enough credit, he did more than what we think)
-All I wanna Do
-Deidre
-All this is That
-Here Today
-I'm in Great Shape
-Pitter Patter
-oh Darling
-Help Me, Ronda
-Time to get Alone
-California Feeling
-Little Girl I Once Knew
-Stevie
-Funky Pretty
-Salt Lake City
-Nearest Faraway Place
-Long Promised Road
-Our Sweet Love
-Sweet Sunday Kinda Love
-Sail Plane Song
-Mona
-Solar System
-Susie Cincinatti
-Male Ego
-It's Getting Late
-In My Car
-Little Pad
-Christmasy
-On Christmas Day
-the A-side to the Christmas Album
-Companion
-After the Game
-Gonna Hustle You
-It's Not Too Late
-Number One
-Orange Crate Art
-Turning Point

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 08:36:11 PM »

This topic is 4 years old.  I bumped it because I was wondering just now why nobody ever talks about the song "Our Sweet Love" ?  That's got to be one of the best things the boys did in the 'sunflower' era, and I've never heard anybody mention it, or mention the events surrounding it being written, or mention it as a great song, or anything... so I did a search, and found this topic a few years back where it appears Punkinhead agrees with me.  

Anybody else a fan of that song?  Definately underrated, because I've never heard anybody even mention it!  

Just for the romantic in me, did Carl write that for his wife?  Or did he write much of it at all?  I looked it up and I guess it's credited to Brian (music?) Carl, and Al.  Why doesn't Al ever play this or claim this publicly, this is a damn masterpiece!

To our musician friends, is that Carl playing Hendrix/Harrison style 'backwards' guitar in the solo?  Love it!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 08:37:18 PM by Ron » Logged
Tord
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 09:14:31 PM »

Great song!
You can listen to the backing track here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_0SQuLQRNE.

Reminds me of God Only Knows.

rogerlancelot
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 09:46:01 PM »

Beautiful, beautiful song. My girlfriend and I used to claim "God Only Knows" as OUR song but then switched to "Our Sweet Love" a couple of years later. I guess if or when we do get married that will be the song for us to dance to. By the way, does anybody have a
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 10:25:42 PM »

...?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 11:14:09 PM »

Whenever I'd bring up Our Sweet Love on here, so many give it crap for being a re-write of God Only Knows.

If it is, ok...it's really good though.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2010, 11:51:15 PM »

Whenever I'd bring up Our Sweet Love on here, so many give it crap for being a re-write of God Only Knows.

If it is, ok...it's really good though.

Seems a strange criticism to me. You'd think we'd want as many God Only Knows rewrites as possible?!

I think there a few songs dotted through his career that hark back to GOK and I don't think he does it consciously, or lazily. It's just that this sort of descending chord thing is one of the ways he writes. Stevie is another one that reminds me of GOK.

Personally I love it and wish he'd wrote more of these type of songs.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
rogerlancelot
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2010, 12:07:32 AM »

...?

Thank you very
Fun Is In
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2010, 05:29:08 AM »

Great song!

Reminds me of God Only Knows.

totally delightful!  Is that from some footwear item or just an OOPsing?
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2010, 06:12:10 AM »

What the

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2010, 06:40:49 AM »

Now THAT is a well recorded track.  I guess that guitar isn't really backwards either.  I didn't realize Brian was such a big part of the backing vocals either.  I'd never noticed the vocal part at the end either since the lead is so prominent there. 
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2010, 11:52:41 AM »

God, that's cool!  Almost works as-is, in a "Passing By" kinda way.  I love BBoys backing-tracks.

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2010, 08:59:54 PM »

I love hearing BB backing tracks also, and this one is indeed pretty fantastic.  Brian's voice is so damn awesome on this...I really dig the tone he had during this era. 

It does bug me a little that it's so much of a "God Only Knows" rip off arrangement-wise, but like others have implied, if you're going to rip off anything, Brian could have done a lot, lot worse than "God Only Knows."
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx